Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Agility Training:
Ups and Downs of Agility Trial

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Scotch

May 12, 2008, 6:39 PM

Post #26 of 39 (8739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to train him on the grass. btw; how do you know if your dogs like jumping? I'm not sure if scotch likes it, because now he seems to be doing it just for the food.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 12, 2008, 6:51 PM

Post #27 of 39 (8737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] Ups and Downs of Agility Trial [In reply to] Can't Post

if we were only let our dog do what they like to do. then it will be very limited for me, pacco will only want to eat, sleep, eat, sleep and go jungle trekking.Cool

to make your dog enjoy training, you need to provide motivation, which in your case, is the food. maybe u can even try toy. show him the toy, ask him to jump, and then toss it for him to chase.

if scotch is eating boring dog food everyday. when u bring out a sausage and ask him to jump. I bet he will loves jumping. cause he knows that jumping means sausage!

but it will be a good option if u train him a variety of work, instead of jumping everyday. otherwise he might find it boring eventually.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 12, 2008, 6:54 PM)

Scotch

May 13, 2008, 6:52 PM

Post #28 of 39 (8666 views)
Shortcut

haha, good answer. I'm doing double jumping now. The pole at the same height and a broom lower than that between two chairs. I used sausage. He loved it. he jumped everytime. Even when he ate up all the sausage, I asked him to jump and he still jumped. Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 14, 2008, 4:50 AM

Post #29 of 39 (8613 views)
Shortcut

well done, u had successfully taught scotch how to jump!

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

Scotch

May 14, 2008, 3:59 PM

Post #30 of 39 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Not really, though. The next day, he won't jump at first and he'll start whining. Only after a few seconds will he jump.Crazy

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 4:01 PM

Post #31 of 39 (8588 views)
Shortcut

build his confidence slowly.. one day only le that he does it without food. Repeat this everyday after a week i think he should have mastered it.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 15, 2008, 8:03 PM

Post #32 of 39 (8506 views)
Shortcut

i think he's just not being confident enough. more practise will get the job done. remember to give big praise to your dog. make him feel like a champion.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 20, 2008, 10:07 AM

Post #33 of 39 (8294 views)
Shortcut

Now, he won't start whining before the jumps, he will straight jump. And I'm also practising without food. When i asked him to jump without treats, he jumped everytime. But I didn't say too many times in case he gets bored and stops jumping. And I think it should be ok with his leg, because he's never hit the pole before. But there was once he was too near the pole and his front legs got knocked a bit. Now I make sure I start from far away. I remember to praise him everytime he jumps without treats. Smile

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 20, 2008, 10:19 AM

Post #34 of 39 (8292 views)
Shortcut

i'm not quite sure about scotch condition, but we want the best for our dogs. best to keep eveything low just to let him get the idea of leaping and enjoy the fun. u could spread out 2 or 3 jumps and getting him to turn around.

apart from that u could also try the hula hoop jump or setting up some weave poles.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 21, 2008, 5:14 PM

Post #35 of 39 (8226 views)
Shortcut

The jumps are now below knee-length. I put two poles. Sometimes he'll go crazy and start jumping on his own and turning around and jumping again. But I stop him cause I don't want him to do it so many times like that. So now, sometimes even without food, he will willingly jump. Then I'll make him turn around and jump again. I usually do this, the most, 3 times. Oh and I checked with the vet and he said since Scotch doesn't have a broken leg(only half broken)then it should be ok. And he also said if he can jump, why not. But it's best not to force him to jump higher than he's willing to. And the height that he is willing to jump with or without food is 16 inches. But I'll keep it lower than that at the moment.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 21, 2008, 5:49 PM

Post #36 of 39 (8222 views)
Shortcut

did u keep the poles away when u are not training? is best not to let him jump on his own free time. he shld learn associate that jumping need 2 be done with the owner

as for the turning, u can try placing 2 poles side by side about few feet away. with u standing in d middle of both poles, try use your hand get him to turn 180 degree...

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 22, 2008, 6:54 PM

Post #37 of 39 (8181 views)
Shortcut

I did the 180 degree turn and he did it perfectly fine. And just for kicks, I raise the pole to 22 inches and he jumped! I used sausage. He didn't whine, he just jumped and he didn't go under the pole. I'm so proud of him :)

Scotch

May 29, 2008, 8:15 AM

Post #38 of 39 (7957 views)
Shortcut

how do you make weave poles?

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 29, 2008, 8:21 AM

Post #39 of 39 (7955 views)
Shortcut

i used PVC pipe. u can take a look at the website below. is something similar to that.

www.agilitynet.com/training/weaverecipe.html

Pacco de Mongrel

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my