Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: General: Chit Chat:
Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 1:21 AM

Post #1 of 77 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? Can't Post

Hi guys,

My family and I will be going for a holiday abroad end of this month. Of course, we'll have to leave Sparkle behind Frown He will still have access to the whole house and take charge as man of the house and Tyler will go spend time with him in the evening/night after work (clean, feed & play with Sparkle). You see, we don't want to put him in a boarding place cause he'll be caged.

We can't take Sparkle to Tyler's place as well because Bizkit the Rottie is there. Also, he's not toilet trained there so we'd like to avoid 'accidents'. Tongue

However, Sparkle's used to having ppl around him all the time...like my mum who's with him at home everyday. I know with us away for a period of time, he'll definitely get lonely (i'm already sad just thinking about it Frown ) So I want to ask all of u for some advice on how to keep the little one entertained until Tyler gets to him in the evening.

I thought of getting him more toys but do you guys think that's good enough for a 4 month old puppy? I browsed through some old posts about Kongs. Even checked out some websites on it. I've seen it in petshops, but never bought it cause it looks like the food might just drop out! And I saw Gina's old advice about putting peanut butter to clog up the holes but Tyler won't see him till the next evening, so won't that peanut butter turn bad? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kinds of dry food we can stuff into the Kong?

Other stuff I'll leave out to him are like his fav tennis ball, a few chew toys and probably will get him a few more squeaky toys. Tyler will give him all the treats/supplements/top up kibbles when he goes over in the evening to play with him.

Anyone has suggestions? Willing to try anything - thanks in advance! Smile

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 2:00 AM

Post #2 of 77 (2621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm...oh .. i have the same situation that you face ... well .. last time, i remember that i have to go back to s'pore cause my grandpa is sick .. i guess i have to go down for the whole week ... i remember i gave him alot of toys plus i did made something special for him.... cause i ask my cuz bro to help me to take care of my minpin and i suddenly have a idea it's that, i made him a puzzle toy ... hahaha ... he will have days to open it... i made him 3 pillows... the first pillow i put in some of his fav. toy... and the second i put a little doggy snack for him... and the third i put in a squicky toy... hahaha .. guess what he was busy for day... he kinda looks like a mad doggy in searching for the hidden truth....

well if you're planning to have this idea to be put into your little furball... i'll give you osme recipe of mine...

1 : small pillow case - don't put anything but his toy, food or a squicky toy....

2 : give one at a time ... he'll get bored if there's too many of this around...

3: hahaha... show him you put the toys in and let him figure it out how to take the things out ...

4 : hahaha .. he just have to use his little doggy brain to take the things out ... hahahaLaugh

it works for my little min pin and i hope it works for your little doggy too....
~~~ It'S a DoGgY DoG WorLD~~

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

YUMIKO masaki @ charming PARIS girl
love's dogs... true dog lover !!!
My PETS, My FRIEND, My FAMILY

MY DEAREST MITCHER BOY MUMMY WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU 13TH MAY 2007

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 3:58 AM

Post #3 of 77 (2617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi yumiko,

Thanks for sharing Smile

I dun think I can use pillow case on my puppy cause he'll just shred them apart and proceed to try to eat it! Crazy I dunno how many pieces of cloth he has destroyed already.. That's why I asked about the Kong toy. Apparently the rubber is so strong the dog can't chew it apart? Plus it's non toxic. We'll be away for nearly 2 weeks so I'm thinking of getting him something that doesn't get destroyed too fast.

But u know what...I could probably ask Tyler to try that out on him while he's there and take it away when he leaves Wink Thanks for the idea.

Anyone else has any idea?? Appreciate it alot...many puppy kisses from Sparkle the grateful and soon-to-be very lonely pup Unsure

ginl
ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 8:32 AM

Post #4 of 77 (2608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

i doubt the peanut butter will still be there long enough for it to turn bad if Sparkle is consistent enough to get the food out Tongue....umm instead of dry dog food to stuff inside the kong how about moist food like boiled chicken or liver, they won't fall off easily right? You can mix with some kibbles, push everything inside and make it real compact. Some dogs will not like kong at all if there are no food inside (like mine for eg), so after he gets the food out he loses interest in the kong and starts to find other stuff to chew on....i think it's coz kong is too tough and durable for him to chew, no matter how he chews not a dent....no fun mah for them cannot destroy it Tongue

Think it's better if you leave him extra toys so he won't go for anything else....sorry can't think of anything else...Yumiko gave some good suggestion on the pillow....dats a great idea Smile

i_idnic
Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2003, 5:58 PM

Post #5 of 77 (2601 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

U can try out this switch on the radio let ur dogs listen.....Wink I did tried before....I always switch on the radio when I'm left home every timeSmileSmileSmile radio can make them feel not that lonely cause they still hear some ppl talking and some music....actually they wouldn't play toys when nobody at home but u still need to put some toys. The most important things for them is sufficient water... hope that it help u..... Cool

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jun 11, 2003, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 77 (2601 views)
Shortcut

hello Michelle,
I leave Trivor at home when we are working... it was a bit tough at 1st as she will chew everything. So, pls keep your home safety 1st. Wires and medicines should put high up or they will strangle or chew them accidentally... etc
Leaving plenty of toys are kinda useless... they are too bore to play with motionless object. Kong is quite helpful if you can put a treat (I put T-bone inside) and Trivor has been chasing after it so hard until she gave up Unsure
I turn on radio (or TV) so that she is accompanied by the voices and songs. But be extra careful on the wire, again. It would be good if you can turn on in your room and close the door. Let Sparkle think you are actually in next room Smile
Pls leave the light on at night too. If you can, pls ask your neighbour help to monitor any strange sound in the house (howling/ barking...) and who to contact (vet/ Tyler...) in case of emmergency...
well, happy holiday!!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 7:25 PM

Post #7 of 77 (2595 views)
Shortcut

SmileSmilehihi .. i forget to tell you that i have also use those rubber gloves those hard rubber gloves ... i put some doggie snacks fpr him and tie it up .. hahaha , my little furblalls uses the who day to figure how to get the litte snacks out ...

make sure that you let him see that you're putting things into the gloves ...

it works for my little monkey and i hope ot works for yours too... Laugh

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #8 of 77 (2590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys!! Smile

Thank you so much for all your input!! I will definitely try everything u all suggested!

The tv/radio is a good idea! And I think i will try to get my neighbour to help me by turning my lights off in the morning. Tyler can switch it on in the evening. And on weekends Tyler can also spend more time at my place with Sparkle and take him out for walks...hehe...I'm going to try negotiate with him to give Sparkle a good bath and brush too!! Tongue

Another thing I can do is to bring him back to Seremban to my grandma's place. She'll be in the whole day but bad thing about that is he'll have to be on leash the whole day and wait for my granny to take him out for walks 2-3 times a day. But Sparkle has never been tied to a leash b4 so it's kinda pitiful for him to be like that for so many days.

That's why I think leaving him in our own house will be better. At least he won't feel lost there.

Looks like I have a lot of work to do making my house 'dog friendly' before I leave! And thanks again for all ur suggestions.

If anyone else have experience on this, please post up! Thanks!!! SmileCoolTongue

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 11, 2003, 8:48 PM

Post #9 of 77 (2586 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, leaving the radio on is a very good idea. Even when Jaz was little, we put on the radio night and day so that she will not be excited or surprise when there's noise..

Do remember to give your dog alot of tender, love and care when you return from your trip to compensate!! ha! ha!

anna_kys

Jun 11, 2003, 9:26 PM

Post #10 of 77 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, you may want to start leaving your dog alone for longer period everyday so that he can get used to being left alone. He may get seperation anxiety if you suddenly leave him alone for long period of time.

I started with my puppy by leaving her 1 to 2 hours a day then increase an hour every day. After a week, she is used to me not being around the whole day and only to play with her in the morning and in the evening with tons of toys and hidden snacks. My neighbour said she takes it well and never bark during my absence.

So, good luck and have a great holiday.

jacng
Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2003, 5:29 PM

Post #11 of 77 (2570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yumiko_masaki] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi yumiko

Just want to ask you what is "Hard rubber gloves"? Where can I get it? I am thinking of trying out this idea as my furkid is getting bored at home and start shredding everything when I am at work 8 hours a day.

Could you describe the gloves? What is the difference with the normal rubber gloves that we use during washing dishes/toilet?

Thank you

JaC & HuBby
.+"~"+.
(!
o o !)
)(
O )(
",,
U,,"

DeWeY

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 10:39 PM

Post #12 of 77 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacng] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

hihi ...

well about your question , yup it's those rubber gloves that we use to wash dishes... those kinda thick one ...

well the difference between normal rubber gloves and those for washing dishes one is that washing rubber gloves is much thicker than those normal rubber gloves... and they don't have those strong rubber smell too much, cause my dog doesn't like those rubber smells....

and besides putting toys, food for your dog, you can try putting those balls with bells, or squicky toy cause dogs are mostly very curious about things that they haven't see / play before and they will spend hours to seek for the truth.. just make sure you let your dog see you put the things into the gloves and he will figure it out how to get those things out ... you'll be amazed that how long your dog can tolerate to get the things out ...

good luck in trying this game ... Laugh

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:16 PM

Post #13 of 77 (2554 views)
Shortcut

hi yumiko, Smile

u tried this on ur dog and ur dog didn't swallow it after ripping it apart ah? You mean those rubber gloves are so hardy that even the dogs can't rip them apart? wow Cool

But maybe i should buy one for him to try out first leh...I cannot afford to leave him any toys that will harm him if he swallows it because no one will be looking after him the whole day. That's why I asked about the Kong lor...cause I know that one they can't chew apart. Tongue

Thanks for ur idea!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:20 PM

Post #14 of 77 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lisa, Smile

Yah...when I come back he'll be spoilt rotten by me and my mum cause we'll be missing him a lot!! Tongue Anyway, I'm going to Tokyo and if the doggie stuff there are not too expensive hehehe...I'd love to dress him up a bit ala japanese style! Hopefully it's reasonable lor...cause I heard that stuff there are very very pricey Unsure

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #15 of 77 (2552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [anna_kys] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi anna, Smile

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that out from now.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:32 PM

Post #16 of 77 (2550 views)
Shortcut

Wow! going Japan! that's lovely! Oh, I believe if you found the right shop you'll be amazed on all kinds of dog stuff they have there! very innovative and nice, I think I've saw it once on channel 11. If you do dress her up, remember to take a snap shot and post it up!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:39 PM

Post #17 of 77 (2549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha Lisa ah...Sparkle is a him la...Sparkle boy boy...I've checked...LaughLaughTongue

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 12, 2003, 11:45 PM

Post #18 of 77 (2546 views)
Shortcut

oh god! i am so sorry.. **shy Blush** first mistaken your boyfriend for a dog, now mistaken your dog for a bitch! hahahhhah!!! pai seh pai seh! i won't get it wrong next time, Michelle!

yumiko_masaki
ALPHA

Jun 14, 2003, 12:01 AM

Post #19 of 77 (2534 views)
Shortcut

hihi...

hmmm... about your question...

well my little minpin will kinda tear things apart but he chooses things to rip apart, he love his toys so much that he seldom spoils his toys ...

but sometimes must really take care of hims cause he loves to nibble ... if he starts to nibble he just won't stop and he will only stop when there's food to be offred to him ... hahahLaugh

%%%%
^""'^ %%%%
( ' ; ' )
(")**(") WOW! WOW!

KSLAW
Novice

Jun 14, 2003, 8:46 AM

Post #20 of 77 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Just asking wat breed of dog r u having ?? u see for me is quite easy, I have a big Lab, normally during chinese new year my family always go out leaving the dog alone at home,so I use to buy this raw hide bone from the pet shop, the bigger the better, just let him see the bone but don't give to him first put it some place high so he cannot reach it but he can see the bone, after an hour just give it to him and he will spend the next 2 day bitting, hiding, sleeping and protecting the bone from u he will be happy for a few day and u can do your stuff until he finish the bone.

Note: Do not always use the same trick, use once a year hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jun 14, 2003, 10:18 PM

Post #21 of 77 (2522 views)
Shortcut

hey girl,

wah, so good ar....going to tokyo for a holiday...i bet sparkle will be really jealous & misses u guys a lot ! Juz wait till u come back, I bet sparkles will gives u a headache lar.

I went to penang for abt 10 days and when i got back, alamak ! mocha was soooooo naughty lar ! really testing my patience and she was like..."u left me at home...so now, u gotto pay back all the time that you went away" kinda look to me !

enjoy urself ya !

cheers,
minglmy

kathleen.tay
Canine Addict

Jun 17, 2003, 1:34 AM

Post #22 of 77 (2507 views)
Shortcut

I might know of somewhere that provide boarding but not really in the cage .... if you are interested can mail me at but I have to confirm first ....
A Dog Never Lies About Love

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 4:58 PM

Post #23 of 77 (2501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KSLAW] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi KSLAW, Smile

Thanks for your tip! hehehe yeah I'm going to be buying a few big rawhide bones for him. My neighbours will be wondering why his toys are scattered everywhere Tongue

Btw, I have a 4 months old Jap Spitz. Smile

We've now transferred his cage to our porch and nestled his cage amongst a lot of plants so now it looks very very cosy. Wink It's away from the sun and rain and with the plants around it should be pretty airy for him. We've decided to put him at the porch....leaving him in the house with no one at home can be quite dangerous leh..and we've thought about the possibilities of him messing up with wires and all that. So we've cleaned the porch up, fenced up the gate well, brought his cage to the porch and surrounded it with plants, and will throw all his toys there and when my bf gets there in the evening he will play with him, feed him and spend time with him.

Of course, we're going to inform some dog loving neighbours...they will surely stop to play with him in the mornings when they walk their dog. And will help me keep an eye on the little one too Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #24 of 77 (2500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

hey woman,Smile

aiyo...he doesn't need to give me that look leh...I already feel guilty for leaving him at home. haha...that's why these days I pamper him super super extra. Just the other day after the gathering I went to buy him a scarf and a yellow bumble bee backpack!! hahaa...he looks quite cute in it cause the bee has eyes that moves and has two tiny wings as well!!

I still have to get the Kong and rawhide bones and some squeaky toys. When I get back I know I'll have a hard time finding all his toys again. Unsure I dunno where he hides them but it's hard to find it when he decides to hide them!! Tongue

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 17, 2003, 5:28 PM

Post #25 of 77 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kathleen.tay] Entertaining a lonely puppy - any suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi kathleen, Smile

thanks for the offer but I've decided to leave him at home so that he's more familiar with the place and to avoid him feeling homesick... cos he won't be seeing us for a long period of time. Unsure

thanks again ya..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my