Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Dog Obedience Training & General Training Topics:
how do you train your dog to walk off-leash?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Scotch

May 6, 2008, 4:06 PM

Post #1 of 26 (18777 views)
Shortcut
how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? Can't Post

I have a dog, Scotch, who is a 1 year 8 month male mongrel. Do you have any suggestions on how to train him to walk off-leash? I don't know if he will respond when i call him. I don't want him running off. Now, inside the house compound, I'll call him and he'll come but this is inside a fenced enclosure. I don't know if will come if he's outside, because he loves running. I do take him for walking and running every night, though. But he feels its not enough and comes back and runs some more. Crazy

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 6, 2008, 9:28 PM

Post #2 of 26 (18665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

i think your dog wanna run offleash instead of walking offleash....

but no dogs no matter how well trained they are, can be trusted to be offleash trotting around the dangerous street.

is best to find a dog-friendly secure environment to enable your dog to run freely. To make your dog to follow the owner wherever direction u head to, this require great bonding between both of you. no formal training is require.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

myzanordin
ALPHA

May 6, 2008, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 26 (18663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scotch] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try OB training...one of the level called Novice is when dogs are trained to do command off leash...you have to pass Basic and Pre-Novice to go to that level...

All the best ....thru my experience, older dogs have more focus then the younger ones. Younger dogs tend to be playful...neverthless, you can still try...

Veanne
K9 Maniac

May 7, 2008, 1:49 PM

Post #4 of 26 (18481 views)
Shortcut

you have to have lots of patient to train your dog for being off-leash... actually my dogs in my hometown are never being leash... they are all off-leash... no matter how far they run, once their name is being called they will come back to us...

but the one that im having now in kl... cannot let him off-leash when he's new to that particular place... try to train him off-leash before... i end up... chasing him...Crazy haih... because he's too excited of the new place, anything also he cannot hear...

hmm... i do feel that... and based on my 22 years of experience... mongrels are normally the quick learners... provided that, the right traning are given to them... most of my mongrels only took one day to train them being off-leash... actually, the closeness between you and your dog is the main point of the training...

anyway, good luck in your training...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

Scotch

May 7, 2008, 4:53 PM

Post #5 of 26 (18441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, actually, I'm not going to let him off-leash outside. I just want to let him off-leash at Gasing Hill when we are at the stream. So he can play around with the other dogs. But I really don't know how he will react. He might be having too much fun and when I come nearer, he might run and start playing. Then I can't catch him. But I do want him to have a good recall, though.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 7, 2008, 5:27 PM

Post #6 of 26 (18433 views)
Shortcut

scotch appear to be a rather timid and shy...

on your next trip to gasing hill, bring along his favourite treats to reward him for coming to you. when he walk away from you, don't go over to hold him, instead call his name and pull on his leash. to judge his response when being offleash, you can either try using a flexi leash or simply dropping his leash to let him roam around, then u can have a better chance of holding him back if he tries to stray away from the pack.

nonetheless, it takes time for him to feel comfortable with the surrounding and assume that all the dogs and people around him belongs to his pack. once he learn that we are taking the same route eveytime and being with the dogs that he's familiar with, he will follow the gang.

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

(This post was edited by Amanda85 on May 7, 2008, 5:30 PM)

Scotch

May 7, 2008, 5:54 PM

Post #7 of 26 (18423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

When he's scared, he tends not to eat. I even gave him water but he didn't want to drink it. I've tried dropping the leash during walks. I will drop the leash, turn around ( the leash is still loose) and say come and he will follow me. But maybe that's because there was nobody there. But during the trek, he was pulling so hard, especially when going uphill, I think he wanted to keep up with the other dogs.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 7, 2008, 5:58 PM

Post #8 of 26 (18419 views)
Shortcut

is expected since it was his first time...

during my dog first trek, she was going nutty and pulling like mad, i even had a sore arm for a couple of days....and she's the kind of dog that act like tarzan conquering the jungle.... i never let her offleash until after a couple of months of trekking

while other calm dogs like Daisy (the mixed dalmation), she can be offleash right on her 2nd trek.

different dogs will behave differently... in scotch case, we need to let him overcome his nervourness and fear.

Pacco de Mongrel

Scotch

May 7, 2008, 6:06 PM

Post #9 of 26 (18418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya, I need to bring him for walks when got a lot of people and let him get used to them. When I first got him, he was also scared of me. See now, like crazy dog already, but only in the house.Smile

myzanordin
ALPHA

May 7, 2008, 7:00 PM

Post #10 of 26 (18404 views)
Shortcut

I think shy/timid dogs..will not go far, will not run away, and will stick near to the owner...that is thru my experience with my timid dog lah....Smile...

mum2jude
Enthusiast

May 7, 2008, 8:16 PM

Post #11 of 26 (18381 views)
Shortcut

Only reason Daisy's got good recall in the jungle is coz she's a scaredy cat... Either that or her hearing in enhanced in the jungle. Coz at home, half the time, she's deaf.
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

May 8, 2008, 12:38 AM

Post #12 of 26 (18319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mum2jude] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

a good recall happens when there is treat for my shiro... haha... or bring him out for a walk... if i bring him to the same old place... he will come back to me when i call him... but then if i bring him to a new place... he already tak peduli me... haha...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 8, 2008, 5:51 PM

Post #13 of 26 (18111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

i used to have a dog, that i wouldn't describe as timid, but she juz feel nervous when being in unfamiliar place or crowd..

so the 1st thing she did when being offleash, she will run for her life, trying to get herself as far away from the crowd as possible.

and then i will have a hard time trying to get her back.

Pacco de Mongrel

janthk
Canine Addict

May 10, 2008, 12:27 AM

Post #14 of 26 (17816 views)
Shortcut

The key to a good recall and off leash healing is focus. Imagine if your dog is totally focus on you and is eager to perform to earn the reward, it will do anything you ask it to.

If your dog likes toys and ball, build on the drive. Play with the dog often and make him want the toy or ball. The use it as a reward once the dog performs the right action you want.

Food drive is also an option. However, food drive will work really well only when your dog is hungry is hungry.

I have two dogs of very different personality. One is very indipendent and has a mind of his own. It takes a longer time to train him as I have difficulty finding a reward which he likes. So I had to create the need and makesure training is done only when he is hungry.

My second dog has both food and ball drive. I find it much easier to train her. She responds faster to commands as her drive or need for the reward is greater.

It took me 2 years to train my 1st dog to novice level. However with my 2nd dog, it took me 6 months only to train her to Novice level.

Whatever it is remember focus is the key to training.

Have fun training your furkid.

Scotch

May 14, 2008, 5:26 PM

Post #15 of 26 (17456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he certainly has food drive all the time, even after he's eaten. But that also depends on what food I'm giving him. I'm teaching him how to jump now, using food. He seems to be getting better everyday.Smile I want to try it without food one day. Thanks for the advice. Laugh

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 15, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #16 of 26 (17399 views)
Shortcut

u can try hiding ur food in ur palm, not luring it directly infront of him...

progress on putting it in your pocket and then putting at a corner away from u....when u want to reward him, make him run with u to get the treats.

if he can't response well when the treats is not there, remind him by waving it and then hide it back.

Pacco de Mongrel

PSY
K9 Kaki

May 16, 2008, 3:42 AM

Post #17 of 26 (17378 views)
Shortcut

I have read all the suggestions but non actually tells you how to train your dog to "walk off leash". "Walk off leash" as I understand it is : the dog is always at "heel" position so if you wish to do that your dog must "heel" well on leash, then you proceed to "light line training" and last but not least "off leash". If your dog cannot do a perfect "heel" you will have a hard time off leash.

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 16, 2008, 5:46 PM

Post #18 of 26 (17343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

FYI, she's not talking about heeling.

she had came joining us for jungle trekking and she observe that we didn't leash our dogs. our dogs just walk along with us without heeling.

that's wat she wanted.

Pacco de Mongrel

PSY
K9 Kaki

May 17, 2008, 9:37 PM

Post #19 of 26 (17290 views)
Shortcut

Hence, it is not "off leash" it is letting your go, and letting your dog take you for a walk.

panzertoo
Novice

Sep 19, 2008, 3:42 PM

Post #20 of 26 (16072 views)
Shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fLy9lMHsUM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-83EOt06HA this is the only way I know of to have one reliable off leash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2T_zzLKCQ

PSY
K9 Kaki

Sep 22, 2008, 5:11 AM

Post #21 of 26 (16003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [panzertoo] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply plus the video. I have no issues as all my dogs (5) in all are trained with e-collar and four are up to intermediate obedience level. The oldest which is 9 years of age is only pre-novice level (almost) as I do not use her as a demo dog but just to prove to myself that with e-collar you can still train a 7 year old dog to heel on and off leash.

panzertoo
Novice

Sep 22, 2008, 5:25 AM

Post #22 of 26 (16001 views)
Shortcut

great! I think I was replying to the original post but I would love to see videos of your dogs in action!

PSY
K9 Kaki

Sep 23, 2008, 3:50 AM

Post #23 of 26 (15978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [panzertoo] how do you train your dog to walk off-leash? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will sort some out, may I ask how to contact you beside thru the forum??

panzertoo
Novice

Sep 23, 2008, 4:07 AM

Post #24 of 26 (15976 views)
Shortcut

you can contact me through my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/panzertoo or my website! diamondbarkennel.tripod.com

Edmund Lee
Novice

Dec 20, 2008, 8:31 AM

Post #25 of 26 (13900 views)
Shortcut

Are you a dog trainer ? I'm new in the training field, I used to trained my GSD and i found that still got lot of skill to be improve.. Do you mind if i ask you come on and share your skill with me ? By the way where do you live ? I'm staying in Shah Alam...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my