My GR bites chicken..need help..

sitham
Dog Kichi

Apr 10, 2008, 10:40 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2577 views)
Shortcut
My GR bites chicken..need help.. Can't Post

Hi all,

I have a male GR ag around 1 yr++..As what i knew GR is not agressive towards other animal but my GR tend to bite my neighbour chicken till it bleed and possible to kill maybe if we dont pull him off..UnimpressedAt first i thought that he is just playibg with the chicken but end up he bite till it bleed and this had happen three times...how can i control and prevent this to happen again?how should i trained him not to bite those chicken?need assiatance and advise..thanks

rgds

-pillay-

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 11, 2008, 6:55 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sitham] My GR bites chicken..need help.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, GRs were bred to retrieve dead ducks or other birds that their humans shoot but it's not their natural instinct to just go after a bird. They would be just like any dogs if they were not bred & taught to go after & retrieve that dead bird.

Your dog is just being like any other dogs. Yes, GRs are supposed to be one of the most gentlest, aniomal & human friendly dogs but doesn't mean ALL GRs will be like that so therefore your dog is just doing what dogs do best. The chicken is small, fluffy & it moves just like cats! So your dog finds it very interesting to chase after but he either probably doesn't know his own strength that he's biting too hard & making it bleed OR he's really really going after it & his intentions is to kill it.

You can train him not to go after it & even anything else like cats or other dogs, etc but he's a dog & he will still want to go after it, he can't help it. So the only solution is to separate them. Is your house fenced in & is your dog usually behind your fence? How did he manage to get the chicken in the 1st place? Was the chicken roaming around freely on the road? If yes, then keep him on leash when you bring him out for walks. The only reason I can think of why he got the chicken was becoz he was let off-leach or he accidentally got out from the house & went after it.

Could you explain a little more on how hew got the chicken & how do you usually bring him for walks & so on? Then it'll be much more easier for us to help & give advice...

sitham
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2008, 7:55 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] My GR bites chicken..need help.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Amber,

Thanks..My house is fenced but unfortunetly my neighbour chicken sometimes will get in my house compound..If he on leash he is excellent.Once the chicken in the house compound he will go after them and tend to bite..few days back this happened again and this is the 3rd time he bite those chicken till blood..

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 11, 2008, 8:48 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Well, then it's not his fault. The chicken is trespassing into your house compound & therefore, it is the chicken's owner's fault for not covering up whatever holes or gaps that the chicken can get through easily. So if your dog does ever kill one of the chics one day, then the chick's owner can't blame you or your dog for killing it well, becoz the chicken came into your compound by itself. The chic is probably suicidal too...Hehe! So you'll need to tell the chic's owner to be responsible for his/her own animals, cover up any holes or gaps where it can get through then there'll not be any more problems.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Apr 11, 2008, 8:51 PM)

sitham
Dog Kichi

Apr 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] My GR bites chicken..need help.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also thought bout that but jz dun wan my gr to be tat cruel..izit possible to trained him my bring the chicken in the cage n at the same time i put him onleash so if he tend to attack then he should be check..how do u trained ur dog?u using chock chain or training biscuit?

thanks

ferox
Novice

May 2, 2008, 7:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Without seeing how your dog interacts with the chicken, it is hard for me to make certain what it is. Most likely however, what you're seeing is your dog's primal instincts taking over. Your dog = predator. The chicken = prey. Yummy treat for your dog.

You can train your dog but you must be able to control him while doing so. I would suggest putting the chicken a cage and using a leash on your dog. You need to get your dog to sit and even lie down next to the chicken. He needs to do this calmly. If he charges for the chicken, correct him and sit him down again. If he looks at the chicken funny, drooling, etc.. correct him. Repeat until calm. Once you're confident, you can let the chicken go, but please keep him on a leash still.

See if that works.

sitham
Dog Kichi

May 2, 2008, 8:14 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ferox] My GR bites chicken..need help.. [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ferox,

thanks for the advise as i also have the thought of doing that..it probably a gd way to train him..thanks

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my