Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
My Hippo stink !!

zen
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 9:04 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7858 views)
Shortcut
My Hippo stink !! Can't Post

Frown My adopted MS got very strong body odour. No matter how I bath him still he is very smelly and his white hair around his mouth, legs all become brownish. Any advice???

FrownBen@Benjamin, my baby boy.Frown

The cross breed with the most amazing eyes.
http://www.colliebenjamin.blogspot.com

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 10, 2008, 9:17 PM

Post #2 of 13 (7855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zen] My Hippo stink !! [In reply to] Can't Post

wat food u giving him? certain food contributes to the BO.. Have heard Eukanuba does that. It seems that johnson's baby shampoo is good to clean hair around that area. Someone recommended it for westies..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 10, 2008, 10:01 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7852 views)
Shortcut

My mixed breed had the same problem before. 2 days after his bath, he would already stink..Even when he sits in the car, the whole journey will be filled his b.o....Phewww..

Took him to the vet. And was told that, the skin problem causes this smell ...he was on antibiotic, anti fungal and creme. After few days, no more smell..no b.o...apart from that, I bath him with oatmeal shampoo that is supposedly help him with the skin problem..

Suggest u bring him to vet...shld changing his diet doesnt help. It could be a skin problem.

zen
Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008, 4:36 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] My Hippo stink !! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Hi yen, Im feeding him nutro choice Lamb & rice. My another 2 dogs got no problem with that wo....and about that johnson baby shampoo, isit good for dog?? I know it smell good..hehe

zen
Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008, 4:39 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] My Hippo stink !! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Hi Myza, I think my dog is worst. You can smell it after the bath, the BO just not leaving!!! I never thought of skin problem coz his skin seems ok, no sign of skin pro but mayb I should send him to vet for a check up...who knows...thanks for the advice.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 11, 2008, 6:58 PM

Post #6 of 13 (7798 views)
Shortcut

amnot sure if nutro will cause it or not cos it differs from dog to dog. myza is right might be cause of some skin prob. My Kiki also was smelling badly when he had a small wound on the ear smaller than 5 cents coin but really stinks... Acoording to people that uses it, it's mild enough for dogs.. can find out on it in the westie thread..

sheilakhiew
Dog Kichi

May 14, 2008, 6:40 PM

Post #7 of 13 (7590 views)
Shortcut

Hi Myzanordin

Nice to hear that you are one of those pet lovers and kind souls cos they are God's beautiful creation.

Oh sorry to trouble you, I would like to know the brand, where to purchase & abt how much is the oat shampoo you are using for your furkids.

Tks alot.

Rgds/Sheila

myzanordin
ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 6:46 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheilakhiew] My Hippo stink !! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hai Sheila,

Thanks. Oat shampoo, I bought at Sec 14, pet shop -MyPetshop at less than RM 30 (can remember the actual figure)...Crazy. Let me go back and check the brand. Get back to u ...

sheilakhiew
Dog Kichi

May 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

Post #9 of 13 (7574 views)
Shortcut

Smile Thanks alot.

Regards/SHEILA

jacksontan
Novice

May 16, 2008, 4:49 PM

Post #10 of 13 (7535 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
wat food u giving him? certain food contributes to the BO.. Have heard Eukanuba does that. It seems that johnson's baby shampoo is good to clean hair around that area. Someone recommended it for westies..

Dear acsyen, eukanuba cause BO? I give my dog eukanuba..he used to stink like hell. But now not so smelly oredi at least to me..maybe I am acustomed to it already. My frens all said he still smell compared to other dogs. which brand u r using?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

May 16, 2008, 11:33 PM

Post #11 of 13 (7530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jacksontan] My Hippo stink !! [In reply to] Can't Post

each dog adapts to a brand differently therefore i cannot guarantee you whether a particular brand can cause that or not. I am using Evangers for my personal dogs and sometimes Natural Balance. Both also I got it from sea park pet shop in ss2.

jacksontan
Novice

May 20, 2008, 5:53 PM

Post #12 of 13 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Ok.

Thanks.

j[X
Novice

Feb 7, 2009, 7:19 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6123 views)
Shortcut

Oooh.. Each dog has its special scent but we can't have too much of it.. Hmm.. I'm not sure if giving human shampoo to your doggie is the right thing to do coz I read articles that forbid dog owners to do it due to the difference of skin PH level between dog and human. Sometimes, dog odour comes from infection on the skin or ears. Check if Hippo has those. If not, you may need to change his diet. There is petfood out there that helps to control doggie smell like Royal Canin, some special dog biscuits (couldn't recall the brand name) and food supplement (available over the counter or from your vet)that helps to keep the smell at bay.

My family and friends love my pup coz she's not smelly. LoL!

Of course, she does come off smelly if she runs around a lot and I'd just bathe her on weekly basis, with a hypo-allergenic shampoo. I've tried a few shampoos at first that I thought could help to elimininate her odour at first but nothing works until I started to switch her diet..

Hope this information helps.. Good luck!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my