First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Mar 31, 2008, 8:58 PM

Post #1 of 29 (19701 views)
Shortcut
Need some advice on several concerns Can't Post

Hi all,

Just got myself a 5wks old poodle - named her Hazel - bcos of her light brown fur colour. She looks like a teddy bear and is extremely manja.

A little background on her bfore I highlight my concerns.

Background

Got her from a friend's contact. Hazel came from a home that's very liberal - they allow their dogs run all over the house. The pups are allowed to pee & poo everywhere - owner didn't train them since they were giving them away anyway. And the owner's daughter pampers them all the time - cuddle them, food & water are provided 24hrs a day (no exact meal time).

I took Hazel home on Saturday and have not brought her to the vet yet cos it was closed - will send her there this week.

New Home

Hazel is very comfortable with me & my wife. She just likes sleeping next to us while we are eating or watching tv in the hall - very affectionate and strives on human presence, must be due to her upbringing in her previous home.

The Issues

Crate Training & Being Left Alone

Managed to lure her into the crate with a treat but she does not want to stay inside. The moment I close the door, she whines and yelps madly - macam kena torture even though I stay in the room with her. The moment I open the door, she comes rushing out climbing on me. Tried to feed her in the crate also the same thing happens the moment she finishes her food. Now its so hard to get her in the crate unless I lure her with food during meal times.

Even when I keep her in the room at night, she will do the same. Actually the moment she does not see me or my wife she will start whining & yelping like kena torture.

When we go to work also the same thing happens. I have to get her to sleep then slowly close the door and go off - otherwise the inevitable happens.

I have tried methods that I've read about in the net during my research e.g. no dramatic goodbyes or pampering when we want to retire for the night or off to work - it does not work so far.

Peeing & Pooing

I know she's still very young and accidents does happen. I eye her like a hawk and take her to the newspapers everytime she poos - still managable cos it takes her some time to get it out. But Peeing is a problem cos by the time I lift her up, she finished liao!

when I see her sniffing around, I take her to the designated place with newspaper. But she will walk away and walk around. Thinking that was a false alarm I look away, the moment I look back she has finished peeing at another place. I'm thinking that this could be due to her previous home that aloows her to poo / pee on marble tiles hence her liking for marble tiles - could this be the reason? If yes, how do I break her habit?

Now I'm lining the room where I keep her with newspapers and plan to gradually reduce the lined area once she has established familiarity & place - is this workable based on experience?

Play Pen

I can't seem to find a play pen for her - trying to reduce the area in the room I leave her in. Any place that I can find one around PJ area?

Any words of advice are most welcome since all dogs are individuals as well - I'll try and see what works for Hazel.

Thanks in advance guys!

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 1, 2008, 3:08 AM

Post #2 of 29 (19682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic Theory] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

i do not not whether this will work but then i tried it with my pup which had the same prob, and it actually worked, although it took quite a while to train him...what i did was i bought those bathroom mat which has holes in between, and placed newspapers on the bottom of the mat.initially, i used the newspapers to clean off his pee and placed it under the mat so that the smell is there...he gradually got use to that. my four months old gr prefers to pee in the cage, in which i do not mind at all...but occasionally she still pees on the floor...she is still young...so takes more time to train...my 8 months old silky is a bit slow at this...till now she still pees on the floor...that is why everytime she sniffs the floor, we will lock her in the cage till she pee pee then we will let he go out...the method i use is that everytime they pee on the floor, i will cane them...to let them know it's wrong and then bring them to the bathroom mat or to the cage, depending on which doggie that made the mistake...and remember to give them treats or praise them when they did their businesses at the place you prepared for them...

well, initially when i started to cage them, they will still bark, but then i trained them to be quiet with a stern NO.if that doesnt work, then will have to go back to the caning...it may sound cruel, but u will only need to use the cane for the first few days...they will know the idea...the next time they repeat, u will just have to show them the cane...they will surely understand...

and about the play pen...i am not sure though but u can try the summer pet house at ss2...i remembered i saw one there which only cost rm 20++

all the best!

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2008, 7:13 PM

Post #3 of 29 (19649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi chrisliyy,

Thanks for the tips bro! Will try it out to see if it works. Managed to get a play pen, litter box & a bottle of the toilet training spray (not sure if this works but I'll try anything!). Didn't let her out of her room last nite but I was in there to play with her for almost 2 hours after her dinner. Took her to her poo are but she refuses to do it, kept running to me instead. After that she was tired and slept.

This morning, I went into her room and discovered that she poo-ed twice! Both times at a same are but not the area where I sprayed the toilet training spray. Fed her b'fast then played for a bit. She sniffed around & I quickly brough her into the litter box. Praised her for it then she stopped. Came out to lick me then stop to continue poo poo. Had to quickly bring her back to the litter box.

Another 15mins later she pee-ed at the area where she first wanted to poo. Didn't manage to bring her to the litter box cos she let go one time all liao. I suppose patience is what I need now to slowly train her. Is it bcos she's still so young that she takes a bit of time to establish her poo/pee area?

As for caging her, I think what I'll do is slowly intorduce the play pen to her. I have set it up around the room for her to get use to it being with her. Plan to also gradually reduce the area. Dunno if this will work either - I think she have too much space running around to poo & pee.

I've only spanked her bum once and she yelp like kena torture - heartache leh. Last time when, I scold her sternly to keep quiet in the cage she will keep quiet for a bit and continue again. Now she's afraid of the cage - I think she sees it as a punishment instead of home now after the spanking. I also don't spank her when she poo/pee at the wrond place cos I'm afraid it will make them afraid of pooing/peeing in front of me. And then end up doing her business whenever I'm not around - think I read too much from the books & net la...

Anymore tips from anyone is most welcomed! Thanks again chrislimyy!

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 3, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #4 of 29 (19315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sonic Theory] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

haha...they will surely yell and shout when kena hit one...be very firm in what you do...this is to ensure that they know that when they do something wrong, they will get punished...won't take long...but don't spank for no reasons la...haha...try to empty the room for her...she will feel more comfortable with the large environment...another thing is that, have you spayed her yet? once she reaches 6 months, i'll advice you to spay her...for more info on this you can refer to the rescue and adoption forum...quite a lot of info there...it's better for the pup when u spay her actually.

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2008, 12:50 AM

Post #5 of 29 (19290 views)
Shortcut

Managed to get her to be comfortable in her new play pen already. She will still whine but calms down faster now. I hope its a sign that she's getting used to it.

Now I need to focus in toilet training her. Everytime also she walks away from her toilet area when I put her there if I see her sniffing around. Then I let her out after 5 mins, she'll sniff around again and relieves herself. then I've to quickly carry her back to the designated toilet area. How do I make her stay in the toilet area and relieve herself there? Or do I have to do what I'm doin now until she gets familiar?

Oh yes I do plan to spay her but I can't do it now right? Is 6 months the earliest that I can spay her? I wouldn't think twice about spaying her now if that's possible.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 4, 2008, 2:52 PM

Post #6 of 29 (19159 views)
Shortcut

yes 6 months old is the best time.. some people liek to spay after the first heat. but the fact is if spay before the first heat the chance of getting breast cancer is less than 1 % if after chances are higher..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008, 2:55 PM

Post #7 of 29 (19159 views)
Shortcut

good to hear that you are very patience to train your pup.2 thumbs up! i have a fren who is keep on complaining about his pup pee poo here and there and finally gave up the pup without trying. it is very sad.....Frown

i think the pup sniffing everywhere is trying to get back to her previous Pee poo area. my ms will go back to his same "private"place to pee poo all the time bcoz the smell is there. this is what i do.. im applying the same methology- canning to my ms with a stern NO. when he do wrong after the 1st time he is paper trained.

i think you applying the correct method but you need to repeat it consistently. have you try to use tissue paper to absorb the pee and put in her litter box? i used to do tat coz dogs like to pee poo on the same spot bcoz of the smell. then you need to clean the smell in the area where she not supposed to pee poo.

my ms is paper trained now and i get him the wee wee pad so he wont stained the house with his pee.
Unsure.

keep it up!!remember patience, patience patience and praise her when you put her in/ she go to the litter box... ganbate!

i have a fren where she is too "patience" enough to clean pee poo all the time and do not want to train the pup, but always complaint to me that the pup is pee poo all over the place... Crazy haiz.... i share with her but she dun wan to try at all but complaining.. im soo worried that she will abandon the dog one day.
**A pet is a LIFE TIME commitment..**

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2008, 6:45 PM

Post #8 of 29 (19128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Thks for the tip. Will spay her once she touches 6 mths. Btw, when do they get their 1st heat?

cheers!

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 4, 2008, 6:53 PM

Post #9 of 29 (19126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the encouragement! I will not give up on training her until I've exhausted all means. hahahha...

The only problem with Hazel is that once I put her in the litterbox (with a newspaper stained with her previous pee inside), she'll forget about peeing/pooing, she will then focus her attention to me. Aiyor, very frustrating at times. Dunno if its because she does not want to soil her play pen even though there is an area there for her to do her business.

I've also brought the litterbox out for her and do the same - results are the same. My wife says she's still young and only been with us for less than a week and I'm being a little bit impatient. Hahahaa...

Btw, how does the wee wee pad works? Is it just a pad for her to pee? DOn't quite get it on how it cleans the feet. Do enlighten me further ya. Thanks!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 4, 2008, 7:04 PM

Post #10 of 29 (19122 views)
Shortcut

from 6 months plus onwards. soem slower some faster. can go till 8-9 months.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 4, 2008, 11:58 PM

Post #11 of 29 (19063 views)
Shortcut

i think the pee pad is something like a plastic mat with holes on top and a plastic tray below to avoid the pee to be spilled on the floor...then the pee will flow to the tray, leaving the surface clean so it won't dirty the pup's feet...Smile...and regarding the spaying, hope u get all the info that u need...any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask ya.Smile

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 5, 2008, 12:17 AM

Post #12 of 29 (19060 views)
Shortcut

eh no leh... wee wee pad is a pad made of materials like baby diapers, but this is a flat piece, so instead of using newspaper which does not absorb pee quicky n could be messy when the dog steps on the pee, this wee wee pad soaks up the pee quickly so no mess! try googling 'dog wee wee pad' n u'll find the info...

the ones sold in pet shops are very expensive... apparently jusco also carries a brand of wee wee pad which is cheaper in price...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 5, 2008, 1:01 AM

Post #13 of 29 (19052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for explanation guys! I'll probably try it later. Just curious, are those toilet training spray any good ah?

The one I'm using seems like no effect on Hazel. She sniffs it then walks away - like it was such a repulsive scent to her. Is it suppose to be like that?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 5, 2008, 2:37 AM

Post #14 of 29 (19031 views)
Shortcut

i've never tried the spray, coz i dun believe in these sort of products one lo, like i hear got spray to deter male dogs from mating with a bitch on heat ... i'm a skeptic when it comes to these stuff...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 5, 2008, 2:39 AM

Post #15 of 29 (19028 views)
Shortcut

hahaha...you are just mixing up the facts lah my dear...hahaha...you are not a bit sceptical...you are very sceptical!Frown

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 5, 2008, 2:42 AM

Post #16 of 29 (19026 views)
Shortcut

mixing up meh facts? i dun un... Crazy

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 5, 2008, 2:45 AM

Post #17 of 29 (19022 views)
Shortcut

the spray to deter male dogs from mating with a bitch on heat are two different things compared to the other spray!hahaha...you ah...Laugh

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 5, 2008, 2:52 AM

Post #18 of 29 (19019 views)
Shortcut

oh i un now... i din mix up la... i know sonic was asking abt the spray to make the dog pee at the designated spot ma... i said i dun believe tat kind of product ma... then i gave example of another product i dun believe in, which is the spray that deters male dogs mating with a bitch on heat ma... bro, u mixed up is it har?

Sookie's Photo Gallery

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Apr 5, 2008, 4:15 AM

Post #19 of 29 (19006 views)
Shortcut

haha...u mentioned the sceptical part mah...haha...whenever we mention spray also u will think of the one u spray on the male doggie when the female doggie is in heat...hahaha...FrownFrownFrown

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008, 2:42 PM

Post #20 of 29 (18959 views)
Shortcut

toilet train needs time.. my ms took 4 days under 24/7 monitoring as i was study tat time. Frown i suggest you stick to 1 method/equipment/peepoo spot until she is trained.later she confuse why her master want her to pee on news paper on day one, then cloth on day 2, follow by plastic tray on day 3.. then pads on day 4...toilet on day 5, balcony on day 6 ..etc she will get confusedCrazy. every time you change, you have to start over to train her again.Unsure oh.. remember to use the same command as well. if you used to tell hazel "wee wee" then stick with " wee wee" i use " shu shu". hehe... if suspect he simply pee poo, i ask him" shushu where?" he will feel guilty and go to hide. if he is not. he will turn his head to 1 side looking at me without running away. kakkaa

there is 1 time my ms though he can pee poo on any newspaper. when i bring him back to my hometown, he saw a piece of newspaper on the floor (nt his newspaper) and he pee on it Pirate.kena scold and bring him out of the house to pee.. then he knows... when he is at home... he go to wee wee pad.. when he is at my hometown, he go to garden.

here is the link on hw wee wee pad looks like - refer to the blue lining sheet.
www.lucy-the-dog.com/weeweepadho.html

are you based in kl? you can go to the pet shop opposite "electronic street" to buy which is cheap, like rm16 for 16-20sheets(forgot). the 2 grooming shop side by side, you go into the 2nd one.

carinmanfong
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008, 2:46 PM

Post #21 of 29 (18958 views)
Shortcut

you are right! you use tha too?Smile

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Apr 7, 2008, 6:19 PM

Post #22 of 29 (18644 views)
Shortcut
Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

HI all! Thanks for all the tips ya. For the weekend, Hazel was sent for her 10 in 1 vaccination and she didn't even yelp a bit when she got her jab. I was truly surprised.

Back to the topic... I noticed that Hazel will tahan her poo/pee wen she's in the pen. If she cannot tahan she will do it at the litter box in her pen. Now, the moment I let her out I will guide her to the toilet to relieve herself. Most of the time, she can't hold it till we get there. And if she does, she has done it only once. The other times, she will just sit there and look at me no matter how long I stay there with her.

I know she want's to do it but she seems like shy to poo/pee in front of me. What should I do guys? Should I just lock her in there until she does it or sit with her in there?

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 7, 2008, 6:41 PM

Post #23 of 29 (18638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [carinmanfong] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

wee wee pad? no i dun use them, but hv read abt them... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

ki1ki
New User

Jul 9, 2008, 6:51 PM

Post #24 of 29 (17876 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

I have a pup which is 5-6 weeks old (silky terrier). We stay in Condo.

I'm facing the same issue that you mention. (like:

the moment she does not see me she will start whining & yelping like kena torture. same goes when i go to work)

Could you kindly advice how you over come this problem.

As i mention, i'm new of bringing up a small pup. I am now training her to pee and poo in paper. Can teach me an effective way to teach her that?

for now the most important thing is for her to stop whining & barking when she see me around. I scare the neighbour will complain. please help (urgent)!!

thank you 1st for any advice.

Sonic Theory
Dog Kichi

Jul 14, 2008, 6:52 PM

Post #25 of 29 (17802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ki1ki] Need some advice on several concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

The easy one 1st ok. The whining and yelping will go off after a week or so. That's what I learn from my own furkid experience. To ease it, you can put his cage in your bedroom at night or leave the TV/radio on when you're away - leaving the TV on helped a lot for my furkid. I normally let it watch MTV channel! So she can tell me who's on the charts everyday hahahhahah!

The other thing you can try is to put it in a playpen instead of a cage - mine did much better in a pen than a cage. Could be because the cage gave her the frights being confined so tightly. And get a Kong toy to keep him busy.

For housebreaking, below it the method I used after much researching on the net and advices given by fellow members here.
  1. Establish a schedule for feeding everyday. It could be e.g. 8am for b'fast & 8pm for dinner - this will help you know when does he normally pee/poo. And yes you have to be very discipline to do this. You will also need to sacrifice your sleep and social life!
  2. Observe like a hawk after he has finish eating his meals. Any signs like circling & sniffing, quickly bring it to the poo area. Mine does it after 30mins after her meals everyday without fail.
  3. Use only one command for poo or pee since you don't know which is gonna come. Normally they will pee then only poo. And everyone in the family need to do the same. Otherwise he will be very confused.
  4. Treat, treat, treat! Very important to encourage it to poo/pee at the right place. Praise it happily when he does it right then give him a treat.
  5. Try to leave a soiled paper underneath the first layer of papers in the litterbox. This will help him recognise the area.
  6. It will also help once he is a little more grown up, you lead him to the litterbox with a leash and tell him "it's poo poo time!" instead of carrying him there all the time. But if he is a "follower" (follows you wherever you go) then you may not need to use the leash.
  7. Last but not least, be patient. It really pays to spend as much time as you can to toilet train him. He should be able to learn where to poo/pee within a month or so.

This method worked for me and my furkid picked it up within 3weeks. Now she will go by herself and will also go poo/pee on command ( I do this before I put her in the pen at night or when I go to work)

My other friend has another method that is similar except that he lines his entire bathroom with newspaper, put his furkid in there after meals. He will then tell him to poo and close the door. Then check every 10mins to see if the furkid has poo/pee yet. Once its done he will let it out with praises & treats.

He will then reduce the area lined with papers gradually on a weekly basis. If the furkid goes "off target" he will line the floor up again. He managed to toilet train his furkid this way in a month to recognize that papers are the only area to poo/pee.

Hope this helps, do let me know if you need more help.

Cheers!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my