How Could You

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 29, 2008, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 49 (2741 views)
Shortcut
How Could You Can't Post

Just to share a touching story i read from the internet....

A letter from a dog – "How Could You?"

How could you?

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"...but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love. She, now your wife, is not a "dog person", still I
welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love." As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch-because your touch was now so infrequent-and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family. I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?" They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind-that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood. She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?" Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself-a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 29, 2008, 10:24 PM

Post #2 of 49 (2736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

surely it's touching...hopefully this will help those that want to get a dog to understand the responsibility behind getting a new 'family member' around...and also to those who leave them behind no matter what is the reason...i just can't accept the fact that people give up their dogs because they are moving into an apartment...i think of my dog first before i make a decision bout my work...i am able to work at kl with twice the salary i have now...but i know still i cant afford a house there...and renting is out of the question coz the worth is not there...that is why i chose to stay at this 'kampung' for the sake of the pups...if u know that u have a dog, why choose an apartment at the first place? or should i say if u know that you will be buying an apartment or condo, or u can only afford those in the future, why get a dog? and even if you are moving overseas, the dog can always follow u over...it is just that it takes time and cost you a bit...but then they are family members of yours! i once saw a lady which was willing to bring over a STRAY CAT that she found at her own country to malaysia when she migrated here with her family...why can't we do the same? it all goes to the point which is are we WILLING or not...sigh...Unimpressed

myzanordin
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2008, 5:17 AM

Post #3 of 49 (2705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

Aiyo...so touching lar..I cry & cry. Wish and pray, that, me and my kids' will not be seperated in any way (except death lar) ...wish the same to all the dog lover also. Those who are cruel enuff to do cruel things to their pet (or any living creature for that matter) will have their 'return'...karma....

I am proud to personally knw many of the dog lover (in this forum) that will go out of their way for the comfort, health and happiness of their furkids...ha ha ..things that we do ..they normally come 1st, we come second....

and talking bout stray cats. If anyone have heard of Lucas The Temple Dog ( local malaysian mongrel) which was rescued by Joanne and Leigh. He is now, in Miami with his Mat Salleh owner. AN expat who adopted Lucas in Malaysia and brought him back home.....good ending for Lucas, a malaysian mongrel now residing in Miami.....

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2008, 8:15 AM

Post #4 of 49 (2692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

wow... lucky dog... sure very syok there..... can wash eyes and see mat saleh chicks... hehehehehFrown

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2008, 8:59 AM

Post #5 of 49 (2689 views)
Shortcut

to those that keep thinking that breeding is fun and easy... have a look at this clip... look at both his back leg.... so pitiful Frown

http://www.youtube.com/...;utm_content=petplac
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

this is the product of all you irresponsible owners that breed their own pets....

btw... its quite interesting to read through what they have done here: http://www.manytears.co.uk/

(This post was edited by khengteik on Mar 30, 2008, 9:27 AM)

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 30, 2008, 9:40 AM

Post #6 of 49 (2682 views)
Shortcut

this is sooo cute...
http://www.snotr.com/video/825

the only creature that a great white shark is afraid of is the dolphin dont believe... watch this:
http://www.snotr.com/video/652

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 7:51 PM

Post #7 of 49 (2537 views)
Shortcut

hi myza, can tell a summary abt Lucas the temple dog? i tak tau abt him but am very interested to know... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

yeee
Canine Addict

Mar 31, 2008, 11:37 PM

Post #8 of 49 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Frown

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 31, 2008, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 49 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeee] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

its kinda sad... but after 2 major operations... he can run already... but look at the way his back leg still points outwards.... really sad but also happy case..

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 8:22 PM

Post #10 of 49 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucas is a dog rescued by Leigh/Joanne, another active rescuer. Lucas was rescued with a broken leg. He was mend to health, by the rescuer and was fostered by an expat. Later, the expat grown attached to him ...and adopted him instead. She has gone back to US with Lucas.....last month.

She promise to send pics of Lucas at the park, beach and all...Waiting for the pic..from Joanna and Leigh....M happy for Lucas....Too bad, Joanne/Lucas cant do house visit anymore...ha ha ha...

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 8:35 PM

Post #11 of 49 (2460 views)
Shortcut

ah wat a great real life story... this encourages me n makes me believe tat even if we can only rescue and save 1 dog, it makes a big difference, to that 1 dog... and with great people like lucas around (i'm sure there are more lucas-es in this country!), there is still hope for malaysian mongrels...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 8:48 PM

Post #12 of 49 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Yes Ai_ney...even one , we can make a different...if each of us pitch in and rescue one dog each or neuter one dog each....imagine how many lives we can safe and how many unwanted litters can be avoided.....

Thats all we need...a good heart, compassion, effort and time.....

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 8:55 PM

Post #13 of 49 (2453 views)
Shortcut

... and money! Wink

eh last sat i was in a housing area in cheras, then in this house punye front porch, got 1 dog looking exactly like ur pluto! the wrinkles n all! this dog very dark grey in colour (not exactly black) with white chest... not very big in size... cutie! Cool

Sookie's Photo Gallery

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 10:41 PM

Post #14 of 49 (2434 views)
Shortcut

oh yess...that one also veli important..... U found Pluto's resemblance?..nice ! Try going nearer...see whether dog freak out or not...if lari, confirm Pluto's sibling...damn timid...he he he ..

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 11:34 PM

Post #15 of 49 (2427 views)
Shortcut

i was abt 6ft from the gate, looking at him n calling 'hello doggie'... he just looked at me curiously, din bark... i din try to go nearer, scared he bark n owner come out scold me... Tongue next time i go there i try to take a photo n go nearer... if he barks, i'll run... it wasnt me! Sly

Sookie's Photo Gallery

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 1, 2008, 11:37 PM

Post #16 of 49 (2422 views)
Shortcut

ha ha ...gud idea....

yeee
Canine Addict

Apr 2, 2008, 12:19 AM

Post #17 of 49 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Guess what. I remember Lucas. When I first joined puppy.com I haven't started to rescue. I browsed thru the adoption forum and I pointed at Lucas and told my housemate that I wanted to adopt Lucas. That time they were telling Lucas's fosterer is going to go back to US in Feb 2008 and Lucas is in need of home soon. Haha.

Myza I cannot do rescuing anymore. Coz the more I rescue the more I keep at my house and I won't want to let go them. Tongue

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 2, 2008, 12:26 AM

Post #18 of 49 (2408 views)
Shortcut

Yup...that's the same Lucas. He he ..I know wat u mean bout getting too attached to rescued dogs...How's the puppy that u rescued from Bentong?? Have u moved out? Bigger house=bigger compund= more dogs....Tongue

yeee
Canine Addict

Apr 2, 2008, 7:55 AM

Post #19 of 49 (2362 views)
Shortcut

not yet. middle of May only moving. The house is not any bigger.
I named the puppy " happy". In fact my vet named her. She is doing very good. Apparently my housemate will take her in after I move out but now I am starting to worry that when she is left alone in my old place she will be lonely. Ahaha, think too much.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 2, 2008, 5:08 PM

Post #20 of 49 (2302 views)
Shortcut

oh yes, she will definately miss u and the other doggies...for now, dont get too attached. Hopefully yr fren will consider getting her a companion...at least she tak lonely lah....

mbless
K9 Kaki

Apr 3, 2008, 9:23 AM

Post #21 of 49 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Hi Myza, how are your 2 pups? I managed to find the puppies of the stray near my place.. 4 died and my fren fostered the other 4 that the mother left behind. 3 have also died. Leaving 1. Yesterday the mother came back with 2 more and left them under a car... We have taken them in.
My kitten have grown bigger... going for her 1st vac.
I am desperately looking for homes for 2 dogs or at least fostering. They both have skin condition... Am very worried about their fate. Let me know if you know any fosterer. Thanks.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Apr 3, 2008, 5:25 PM

Post #22 of 49 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

Adopted already..thanks to the fosterer. Both taken by the same adopter...wish I can help but me also got limitation ...how old is the pup? I can try asking around. Oh my ...how many litters that the bitch have? As I read, it looks like 10....

Alternatively, u might just try the Rescue and Adoption thread..there are some members.. who can help in fostering.....

khengteik
ALPHA

Apr 4, 2008, 5:01 AM

Post #23 of 49 (2033 views)
Shortcut

What is love by a 4 yr old kid

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day." (Mary Ann - age 4 )

nphew

Apr 4, 2008, 6:50 PM

Post #24 of 49 (1938 views)
Shortcut

hey guys,

Check this out - Faith - the amazing two legged dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXHvBFG-CI

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 4, 2008, 7:09 PM

Post #25 of 49 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] How Could You [In reply to] Can't Post

amazing! most of the time, dogs with disabilities do not know that they are born differently n just get on with life happily... Angelic

Sookie's Photo Gallery

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my