Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever

robarto
Novice

Mar 20, 2008, 8:02 PM

Post #1 of 12 (12644 views)
Shortcut
Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever Can't Post

I have a male Labrador cross that is around 3 years old. Recently we adopted a 7 months old male Golden Retriever with hope that he will be a good company to our current dog.

However, after exchanging some bark and sniff, my current Labrador mix turn aggressive and kept growling at the Golden Retriever. In some cases attack him as well.

I read that it's just dog nature to show who is the boss. But how long will this go? So far there has been no harm done. But worry that my current dog will cause worse injury in time to come.

Anyone experienced such dog behaviour and manage to resolve it? We really would like to keep the GR, but if it doesn't work out, might need to let the poor pup go.

robarto
Novice

Mar 22, 2008, 8:14 PM

Post #2 of 12 (12608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robarto] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

If you interested to know the progress of Max and Russell, you can view it at my blog: atonne.blogspot.com

Welcome all suggestion and advise.

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 22, 2008, 10:31 PM

Post #3 of 12 (12607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robarto] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

it is normal for the first few days...after a few days it should be alright...try playing with them together...get a ball or so...distract the lab's attention to the ball...he might turn away the first few times...be patient coz sometimes it will take more than a day's effort...am sure they will go along quite well for labs and gr are normally socialable...but then even after half a month still he reacts aggressively, then you might have to consider giving up the poor pup if you do not have other alternatives...you can put them at different places isolated to each other though...but that is a tough job...Smile

robarto
Novice

Mar 22, 2008, 10:43 PM

Post #4 of 12 (12606 views)
Shortcut

Yeah. Doing that for now. Separating them (1 front and the other 1 back)

Will give it sometime. Hopefully in time to come, I will be able to see both playing together. That will be a sight I am longing for.

Playing toy with both of them might not be good. Tried that once, and the lab tend to be dominant of all the things even toy.http://atonne.blogspot.com

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2008, 1:45 AM

Post #5 of 12 (12601 views)
Shortcut

yup...give it some time...i was facing the same prob also when i got my second dog...but mine was different...my first dog ignored all of us and isolated himself till my wife cried...it took almost a week for him to get along with the new pup...

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 23, 2008, 5:35 PM

Post #6 of 12 (12564 views)
Shortcut

I think i spoke to your friend Enoch about your case. You can get some tips from him. Have shared some with him. Sorry ah.. a bit lazy to type long long..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

robarto
Novice

Mar 23, 2008, 7:45 PM

Post #7 of 12 (12561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, Enoch's wife called me immediately after the conversation. Thanks for the advise... still trying it out

:)

robarto
Novice

Mar 23, 2008, 7:47 PM

Post #8 of 12 (12560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor thing. Your wife must be devastated. Anyway, good to know that the 1st dog is ok now. What did you do to get both dogs together again?

alicewpy
Novice

Mar 24, 2008, 6:19 PM

Post #9 of 12 (12526 views)
Shortcut

Hi Robarto,

Hv checked out your blog. Glad that things are slowly improving. Guess the Cesar Millan episodes helped you in establishing some ground rules for your furkids.

Hang in there!!! Max is intelligent. He will soon know you are the pack leader; not himWink

robarto
Novice

Mar 24, 2008, 11:05 PM

Post #10 of 12 (12505 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicewpy] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Alice
We are giving it sometime. Will see how it goes. being sick today prove to be a challenge to give attentioon to both furkids
:(

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 25, 2008, 11:59 PM

Post #11 of 12 (12463 views)
Shortcut

hmmm...actually what we did was that we tried hard to show our first dog, miko, that we still love him and so by the things that we usually do...play with him, allow him to sleep on our bed and things like that...then thank god slowly he accepted her...and they get along just fine along the way.

shapeshifter

Apr 2, 2008, 1:07 AM

Post #12 of 12 (11410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Current 3 year old dog unable to accept 7 month old Golden Retriever [In reply to] Can't Post

yea, Sprite had a big problem when our new lil GR,Sophie came in (Sprite's favourite companion Sugar the Spitz had just passed away- so we were afraid that she'd get lonely).

She didn't Sophie- always treid to bite her,despite beign a very very social dog.

After a while they warmed up and now are the best of friends!

I think it's amatter of puuting them together & monitoring la.
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my