Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease...

rachel.ong
Novice

Mar 19, 2008, 12:14 AM

Post #1 of 17 (11002 views)
Shortcut
Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... Can't Post

My Pomeranian named Rockey..he is 8 years old now..he start to has this Anal Glands disease since two years ago..

I have already regularly brought Rocky to the vet to empty the anal glands since 2 years ago but the infection keeps coming and becoming worse. Rocky is currently very terrified to go to the vet due to the pain. Could anyone please advise me on what else I could do to help Rocky?

I've been told by the vet that the gland can be removed through surgery but at the same time Rocky is very old and he has minor heart problem (coughing regularly). The vet mentioned that for surgery, anesthetic is required and Rocky might not be able to take it due to the heart problem.

Recently i found a medicines through internet called "PetAlive Anal Glandz"..it claims that it can aids in cleaning the anal gland area and also reduce pain..i try to find it in local but failed..does anyone of you know where can i get it? Please help me...I really love my dog very much. Wish to hear from anyone of you soon. Thank you.

Regards,

Rachel

chrislimyy
K9 Kaki

Mar 19, 2008, 2:53 AM

Post #2 of 17 (10993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rachel.ong] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

i am not sure about the medicine cause i do think that none of us used it before if it's so rare in malaysia...get it online if it's possible...but have you ever brought her to seel a second opinion from another vet? i suppose there is nothing to lose even if you go for a third opinion and see what they say...who knows they might have a differenct kind of medicine or more advanced medical instruments or so...

sigh...such a cute dog suffereing so much...really heartache...Frown

L1yng
Novice

Mar 19, 2008, 3:58 PM

Post #3 of 17 (10984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rachel.ong] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

When my baby has this problem when he was about 1year old, my vet advice me to feed him oat. He has been taking oat as his side meal since then and didn't have this problem anymore. I'm not sure it the oat really work or he just grow out of it. Blush

rachel.ong
Novice

Mar 19, 2008, 9:00 PM

Post #4 of 17 (10982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrislimyy] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Chris..thanks for ur reply...i already brought rocky to 2 vets...both also said the samething...

but you are right also..no harm to try at other vet...maybe they can help him..

thanks for your suggestion Smile

rachel.ong
Novice

Mar 19, 2008, 9:08 PM

Post #5 of 17 (10981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [L1yng] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi L1yng..ur baby also faced the same problem? so lucky u discover it at early stage...

when we realize Rocky has this Anal Gland it is alreday become quite serious...

by the way about the oats..how u cook it for ur dog?

cos Rocky is quite choosy..he dun like to eat soft food...i'm dunno whether i'll be able to make him eat the oats...

anyway really thanks for your sharing...me and Rocky appreciate a lot Smile

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2008, 1:47 AM

Post #6 of 17 (9112 views)
Shortcut

hi rachel, maybe u could get advice from upm vet... many 'serious' cases are refered to them coz they hv the facilities... www.vet.upm.edu.my/econtact3.html... all the best...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

rachel.ong
Novice

Apr 3, 2008, 9:16 PM

Post #7 of 17 (8918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ai_ney,

thanks..i already check out the website and email them d...i'll bring rocky there next monday...
thanks for your help Smile

Regards,
Rachel

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2008, 10:20 PM

Post #8 of 17 (8904 views)
Shortcut

u're welcome... hope all is well with ur doggie very soon... do keep us posted ya... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

rachel.ong
Novice

Apr 11, 2008, 10:32 PM

Post #9 of 17 (8256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all..i just brought Rocky to UPM Vets this morning..they do the blood test n x-ray for him...doctor said his heart is a bit bigger than normal...we spend a whole morning there..Rocky was so tired...pity him..

any how the blood test result will come out on monday..then only the doctor will advise us whether to do the surgery or not...let's hope for good news la...

anyway thanks for everyone help all this while..will update u all again next Smile

exlish

May 29, 2008, 8:35 AM

Post #10 of 17 (5767 views)
Shortcut

hi there...

i seriously din realise that this Anal Gland Diease can be that serious...as my poodle did suffer from it but we manage to discover it early n to her to the vet...her case the problem keeps coming back...so what we did was always afta her pee n poo we would wash her bum bum...then we we realised she stop having this problem if she sleeps in air-con room...lol...

anyhow...i wish you best of luck n hopefully your baby wouldn have to undergo the operation...:)

regards,

exlish

rachel.ong
Novice

Jun 20, 2008, 5:44 PM

Post #11 of 17 (5595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exlish] Please help my Pomeranian..he has serious Anal Gland disease... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

thanks for ur concern to my rocky...
a bad new to tell u guys...
we didnt let rocky go thru the surgery...
cos doctor said the chances is 50:50...
and very high possibility(nearly 100%) that he will not be able to control his motion in future if he do the surgery...
this will be a nightmare for him n us..
cos in our hse rocky is like a human..he can walk freely in the hse and he sleep in my room with me...
if he cant control his motion then no choice we hv to let him live in the dog hse...
with his nearly unseen eyes this will be very torturing...
so finally we decide not to let him go thru the surgery...
we really struggle..dunno whether we doing the right choice...dunno how rocky think about this...
another doctor advise us to put him on sleep..let him leave in peace....
but we can't do that...we love him so much....
pls give me some advise...
i really feel lost...sometime i really hope that rocky can tell me what he wants me to do....

regards,
rachel

(This post was edited by rachel.ong on Jun 20, 2008, 6:12 PM)

exlish

Jun 20, 2008, 7:34 PM

Post #12 of 17 (5588 views)
Shortcut

hi there...

i understand the problem your having...well put it this way...you know whats best for your dog...n of course at times putting to slept is not a right option...but if your baby is suffering in pain then i suggest u to do so...like my 1st dog....i had to put her to sleep as she was suffering...she was fully blind n couldn walk...everytime she walks she bangs into things....

yes i do agree with you at times i really wish my baby could talk n tell me what to do...n of course i want her to be at my side as long as possible but if it takes her to suffer in order to hang on i rather let her go....at the end of the day what eva decision you make is only thinking wats best for him...

i know he will know what your doing is all for him n nothin more...i hope this helps...just stay strong ok...

regards,

exlish

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 21, 2008, 2:57 AM

Post #13 of 17 (5555 views)
Shortcut

hi rachel... so sorry to hear tat... personally, if the dog is not suffering or in pain, i don't think there is a need to put to sleep... does this anal gland disease cause any pain to the dog?

Sookie's Photo Gallery

rachel.ong
Novice

Jun 22, 2008, 7:41 AM

Post #14 of 17 (5526 views)
Shortcut

exlish & ai_ney,

thanks for the comfort...

ya i guess the gland cause pain..cos i can see that rocky can't really lift up his leg when he wants to pass urine...

nowadays he become so weak..always look tired..and sleep all day long...

anyway i'm going to bring him to another vet tomorrow...

i really hope that there will be a good news from this vet...

please pray for rocky...

regards,

rachel

(This post was edited by rachel.ong on Jun 22, 2008, 7:44 AM)

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 24, 2008, 2:43 AM

Post #15 of 17 (5491 views)
Shortcut

ok, let us know wat the new vet says...

this is not an easy decision, but it is one that only u can make...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

FLK

Jul 23, 2008, 8:33 AM

Post #16 of 17 (5088 views)
Shortcut

Hi ! rachel ! I understand how your feeling is ! May be you can try another vet. As I know some of the vets is quite good. Or else you can email to me at angela3881@hotmail.com

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jul 23, 2008, 9:57 PM

Post #17 of 17 (5063 views)
Shortcut

Hai Rachel,

I recently bumped into a dog owner where his 8 year old terrier mix called 'Ah Wong' was having a bad hernia problem. They were frantically looking for a vet on Sunday, and , looking at Ah Wong painful face, I couldnt make myself walk away without helping.

We make an emergency call to a vet in kepong and he examined AH wong. This vet (urrggghh) actually suggested to put Ah Wong to sleep ( to my disgust cos the vet is probably lazy to fix the problem). Anyhow, after much persistent he agree to gave Ah Wong some laxative and remove the faeces to make him feel less discomfort. He is however, not so, persuasive about fixing the prblem but eliminating Ah Wong.

Anyhow, after that we send Ah Wong to Dr. Ed of Bandar Puteri Puchong. According to Dr. Ed, Ah Wong will go for a surgery as this problem is quite common and can be fixed (though for Ah Wong's case, the owner waited too long)

I think most of the Rescuers and veteran forumers is familiar with Dr. Ed. He will try his best to fix any problem and is well recommended by many.

Otherwise, you may go to another vet- Dr. Yeoh in Taman Megah. A veteran vet with reputation. He will definatelyt able to help u too....a bit on a pricey side, but apart from that u and your furkid will be happy.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my