Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Digging, Bitting, Licking, Pulling and Chewing:
dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed!

hugo88
Novice

Mar 9, 2008, 12:48 AM

Post #1 of 8 (16210 views)
Shortcut
dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! Can't Post

Hi everyone,

My puppy starts bitting and jumping on everyone it sees once i leave it out of its cage. It bites all most everything. It bites paper, cloth and also our hands.

Please help me.
Thank you

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Mar 9, 2008, 9:44 AM

Post #2 of 8 (16205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hugo88] dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing, it's a puppy? Well, teach it not to jump on people. My method is by pushing the dog off me whenever it jumps. I don't care if it falls down hard on the floor but that's what teaches the dog. The other method I found online last time is pinching the dog's toes very very very hard till it screams in pain! In 30 seconds, problem can be solved just by one terribly painful pinch on its toes. You can use your nails to pinch it also if you have but if this dog of yours is below the age of 2 months, not encouraged lah this method. But if it's older than 2 months, pinch it super hard & don't let go until it gets off you & lies down! Once it's down, praise it, "good boy" calmly but no rewarding. I've done this to my Dalmatian once & she really screamed & then stopped jumping on me for a while. But I was not consistent enuf so today, she's still jumping on me. But I actually encourage my dogs to jump on me BUT on command only. Not simply just jump on me or other people. They do not jump on other people except us. All three of my dogs are very well behaved...

This pinching method might help the biting problem too but if it's a pup & you've just got it, it's just getting to know you & other people. This is called mouthing. But this should NOT be encouraged too so what I do is, I pinch the dog's lips against its teeth very hard till it screams & then I let it go once it has calmed down. I do this to older dogs & older puppies.

Another method you can do IF these two methods don't work is, throw a coke can filled with stones in it just close to it hard on the floor till it makes a startling loud rattling noise! This will startle & teach the dog too but like I said in someone else's post, it takes up to 50 corrections to break the dog's habits. So, you'll need to be consistent 50 times till it learns its lesson...

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Mar 9, 2008, 9:47 AM)

tomncp
New User

Mar 11, 2008, 9:33 PM

Post #3 of 8 (16051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes...All Puppies Wil do this... To avoid these things you learn some [url= www.basicsdogtraining.com/]dog training tips.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Mar 13, 2008, 9:12 PM

Post #4 of 8 (15717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hugo88] dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

for jumping: i wouldn't say push ur dog away till it falls. i never needed to do that. what you need to do is to reaffirm a word or tone that will indicate to your dog that something is NOT acceptable. For me I don't usually go with "NO". i do sound something like "EHKK". loud and stern. once ur dog knows that whenever you give that tone and that sound, whatever he's doing is wrong. So whenever your puppy TRIES to jump, immediately stop it. NEVER ever allow your puppy to jump on you, and ends up getting attention. This is usually the No.1 reason why puppies grow up being a jumper, because they were allowed to do so when they are still a small puppy because they are adorable. Start from young. DO NOT ALLOW ANY JUMPING on people if you do not want your dog to jump on you when it grows up. as simple as that. if your mom, sister or whoever allows this, stop them.

as for biting, get a chew bone. reason for this could be your puppy is teething. when it tries to bite something call your pup and give the bone. if it doesn't come substitute whatever your pup is biting with the bone. as soon as your pup chews on the bone praise.

daniellechua02
Novice

May 16, 2008, 8:59 AM

Post #5 of 8 (9810 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi everyone,

My puppy starts bitting and jumping on everyone it sees once i leave it out of its cage. It bites all most everything. It bites paper, cloth and also our hands.

Please help me.
Thank you

In Reply To

I high recommenced you to socialize your puppy before the situation worsen. As socialization skills in pup is very important to develop good behavior dog in future.

Socializing your dog is a very important aspect toward having a well-adjusted, well-behaved dog. Of course, it’s also usually fun to take your dog for walks, to the park or even for a ride in the car. But even if you don’t particularly enjoy taking your dog places, it’s still important to get him out of the house, off your property and into the outside world.

Being a well-socialized dog means being your pet should be comfortable with many things in life. In order to avoid behavior problems such as excessive barking, separation anxiety, fear, aggression and many more, your dog should be socialized with people, other dogs, bicycles, joggers, noises, trash cans and as many more things as you can possibly think of.

How does socialization relate to the problems mentioned above? For example, dogs who are comfortable with people, dogs and bikes are less likely to bark excessively when normal neighborhood happenings occur near your house. Dogs who are thoroughly socialized are far less likely to have confidence-related problems such as separation anxiety, fear or aggression.

Really you need to socialize your puppy before anything goes wrong!
Danielle Chua
www.dogcareschool.com

Love and Understand your dog, pinurl.com/loveyourdog

junior81

Dec 6, 2008, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 8 (8907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [daniellechua02] dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi

i have a rott 9 months plus...need your advise on.

1. whenever i need to tie him up and take the string, once he saw the string, he will try to move around and jump on me or trying to mouth, not biting but just like open his mouth dun let me tie him up, sometimes i will just use my hand to close his mouth till he make the noise like pain then only can tie him up, anyway to avoid this?sometiems i use loud tones ' NO' but it wont help.

2. how to avoid him jump on me? this is becasuse he will dirty my shirt when he jump on me...i use to loud tone no but sometimes it help sometimes it wont help. sometime when he jump on me..i just push him down away......

need help pls advise..:)

Vic Tea
Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2008, 6:29 AM

Post #7 of 8 (8778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junior81] dog bitting and jumping on everybody...help needed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi

i have a rott 9 months plus...need your advise on.

1. whenever i need to tie him up and take the string, once he saw the string, he will try to move around and jump on me or trying to mouth, not biting but just like open his mouth dun let me tie him up, sometimes i will just use my hand to close his mouth till he make the noise like pain then only can tie him up, anyway to avoid this?sometiems i use loud tones ' NO' but it wont help.

2. how to avoid him jump on me? this is becasuse he will dirty my shirt when he jump on me...i use to loud tone no but sometimes it help sometimes it wont help. sometime when he jump on me..i just push him down away......

need help pls advise..:)

My 10 months old dobe also mouth and jumping, try to teach your dog "down" command until your dog 100% obey your down command.

When u train your dog 'down", always have leash on it (for easier handling) and let your dog play freely in your garden. Go inside your house and let your dog play freely by themselve.

Go to your dog and if your dog jump or mouth u, then command "down". Your dog must obey it. If your dog get too excited, grab the leash and command "down" and step on your leash. Force it to down.

Try to train it every days, it works!!

My dobe will have to obey down, even without leash. If your dog refuse to obey, try to use your leg, pretending you are stepping on the invisible leash (when ur dog r off leash).

Reward your dog for good behaviour!!

Good luck!

picasaweb.google.com/ckthee/ROLEXTheWatchDog

nyleang
New User

Feb 21, 2009, 7:12 PM

Post #8 of 8 (8477 views)
Shortcut

Hugo88,

Did you manage to get your puppy to stop doing all those things?

My 2 months old GR is also doing the same things.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my