Home: General: Chit Chat:
Snake Attack!!

Proton
Novice

Feb 23, 2008, 9:28 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2497 views)
Shortcut
Snake Attack!! Can't Post

Today a fren come over mentioned about his dog was nearly attack by a snake before...

And go thru some chinese forum and found that a forumer there actually call for help coz his fren dog was bitten by snake at 11pm just now...

Just wonder.. if dog really kena bitten by snake... what Emergency procedure should we do?

bakamono
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2008, 6:07 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Proton] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's difficult as v don't know how poisonous is the venom. Only suggestion is to take the dog to the vet or hospital immediately. It's better to check out operating hours of vet, the vet's h/p for emergency or the nearest vet hospital. Don't know abt other area, since I'm staying in kl and shud there be any emergency during midnight, I'll send them to the vet hospital at Jln Ipoh.

edmundyong
Novice

Feb 24, 2008, 6:32 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

my dogs live with me in a organic farm and we have our fair share of encounters with snakes, scorpions, centipedes and others. normally the dogs would be barking away and avoiding contact with the snake except for some breeds such as JRT. JRT and other terriers will not hesitate to attack the snake. anyway, so far i have had black cobras spitting their venom into my beagle's eyes, one case of a small one biting my french mastiff on the tongue when he tried to bite the cobra's head. my suggestions in cases of spitting is to wash the eyes with lots of soap and water, apply some terramycin eye cream before sending to the vet. for bites, please do identify the type of snake and rush dog to vet or hospital for anti venom. i think a better option is to ensure all undergrowth is cleared, grass trimmed regularly, remove all unnecessary pots, junk, anything that create areas for snakes to hide in. dogs are sensitive to these intruders so give the dog an advantage of alerting you first. given our malaysian way, i seriously doubt the response time of medical help so taking preventive measure is a better option.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2008, 7:11 PM

Post #4 of 10 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Proton] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

if (knock on wood) your dog does get bitten by a snake, DO NOT PANIC. Identify the snake if possible. Restrict movement of the pet. Loosely immobilize the limb in a functional position if bitten on an extremity. DO NOT incise the bite wound to aspirate the venom and DO NOT apply a tourniquet without veterinary assistance if you are not experienced. You might swallow some poison yourself if you're using your own mouth. DO NOT apply ice to the area. Seek veterinary attention.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Feb 26, 2008, 7:26 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edmundyong] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

edmund,
have any of ur dogs died from snake bite etc.....?

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

edmundyong
Novice

Feb 27, 2008, 4:59 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

thank God no. my dogs usually keep their distance, the beagle seems to have learn her lesson from one spitting incident. the JRT doesn't seem to care, i have two so they would attack the snake and usually i would find the snake in a few pieces. the goldens, french mastiff normally keep their distances. like i say, i do think clearing the grass or vegetation to below ankle height would help. also use sulfur to mark a perimeter round your house area, so far that works.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Feb 27, 2008, 10:37 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [edmundyong] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

yea sulfur will prevent snakes.....

Don't Lost your dogs!!

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 1, 2008, 5:25 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2315 views)
Shortcut

NO.... sulfur itself does not prevent snakes from coming... salt does..... if u want to use sulfur to get rid of snakes, you will have to burn them on an open fire.... and that will also mean that your neighbours will come after you because if u burn sulfur, it will stink like mad..... in the other hand... get those coarse salt.. even the cheapest will do... salt will react to the snakes underbelly and that will make the snakes go away...

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Mar 2, 2008, 8:45 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] Snake Attack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

halo brudder, salt will get washed away by rain n' larut in rain water la..

where on earth u learn that burn sulfur to repel snake?? show me Sly

if u google snake repellent, u will find that all snake repellents have sulfur as the major ingredient, and 2nd is napthalene... which is moth ball, and they all appear in granule forms with instructions to scatter them on the ground....

and yes, they don't work 100% on all snakes tested.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

khengteik
ALPHA

Mar 10, 2008, 5:34 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2265 views)
Shortcut

yes... salt will get washed away if it rains... and so will sulfur... but trust me... i've had alot of experiences and i still believe coarse salt works the best...

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my