Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
My poor Bailey :-(

koruchann
Novice

Feb 20, 2008, 6:24 PM

Post #1 of 11 (16654 views)
Shortcut
My poor Bailey :-( Can't Post

My 5 mth old GSD is suspected of having early symptoms of HD, so after the vet checked her, he said only left hind leg is giving my dog a bit of pain when pressure is applied. I was so so sad for my baby A thousand awful thoughts in my head, what if my baby cant walk anymore & is in pain everyday? The heartache was like as if a Doc telling me the baby in my womb is not OK.

The trainer in Bailey's OB class was the 1st person who commented he suspect Bailey's HD & told me to get her checked. The view from her rear, looks a bit like duck walking. Wen she runs, sometimes can see the bunny hop with both back legs.

Albeit, the vet said its not a life & death situation yet & its still too early to be 100% sure. He was kind & gave me lengthy advice on the precaution. So he recommended me some supplements to start Bailey on & he explained that there is 1 types of Glucosamine out there; Glucosamine Sulfate & Glucosamine Hcl. Both are equally good just differ in price. Does anyone know about tis? The vet said Bailey does not need Synoquin yet so he suggested i take the Pet Natural's one.

He told me not to worry & comforted me that it is very common & he has a few dogs with HD too. He has a huge Chow Chow with HD in his clinic & he said the Chow Chow was abandoned in his clinic by his previous owners. He also told me his client's Rottie, whose HD was so serious, both hips sockets almost laxated & was put on Royal Canin Mobility Support. The Rottie used to drag itself & after 3 mths on tat diet, he can walk agaiN!!! The supply is quite limited. Does anyone know where to find this?

It's so heartbreaking to hear the Vet said her legs will never be straight again

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 21, 2008, 7:06 PM

Post #2 of 11 (16637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [koruchann] My poor Bailey :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not very experienced with this problem. Maybe amber can give u a bit more advice. Make sure u never let your dog walk on slippery floors. Can try putting rubber mats and also you must watch out when it's playing to avoid further injuries to the leg. Alos you can check out on the internet for any solutions for it. And hydrotherapy is good for dogs with HD. Maybe u can try get a pool for your dog.

My own dog has partella problem. She's shih tzu cross. I forced her to swim. Have agot a pool in my house for dogs. First few times she doesn't really like it. Have to use leash to guide her around. Now she likes to swim n will do it more willingly. All for her own good. Have to force her to do what she dun like. About glucose i heard some people give the pill type. I give the blur can powder type mixed in their water. Builds their immune also.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

koruchann
Novice

Feb 21, 2008, 8:07 PM

Post #3 of 11 (16631 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] My poor Bailey :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi acsyen!

Thanks, really appreciate your feedback... I find it hard to stop her from running all over the place at times. My dog gets so excited everyday when my dad waters the plants every evening, so the porch can get pretty wet & slippery! I think i will keep her indoors when my dad starts watering... Unsure

I'm still trying to find this Royal Canin MObility Support Veterinary range...

koruchann
Novice

Feb 21, 2008, 8:17 PM

Post #4 of 11 (16629 views)
Shortcut

Hi acsyen! Sorry forgot to ask u! How did u teach ur dog to swim? How high is the water level should they start to learn? Thanks!!!!!!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 21, 2008, 11:26 PM

Post #5 of 11 (16616 views)
Shortcut

I think that range of Royal Canine food can only be ordered by vets. Cos it's only by vet's recommendation that the dogs can take it. If you wanna let your dog out when your dad waters the porch make sure u put rubber mats. If not like you say keep her indoors.

All dogs are natural swimmers. Water level should be higher than the dog so that their legs cannot touch the bottom. If not some will actually paddle wt the 2 front legs n the bottom walking. But also not too high till it above 85% of the pool height ocs when they float too high they will try to climb out. My pool is about 3ft deep. so usually i put till about 2 n half feet full of water so most dogs can swim even goldens..

koruchann
Novice

Feb 22, 2008, 8:01 PM

Post #6 of 11 (16588 views)
Shortcut

aaaah thats nice! Thinking of getting a pool from Giant/Carrefour... Dunno my mom wud scream at me or not Unsure

Thanks again, acsyen!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2008, 8:06 PM

Post #7 of 11 (16587 views)
Shortcut

First measure your dog's height then only you check out the measurements of those pool. Some are just too shallow n your dog can just jump out. If you want come to my place at PJ to let your dog swim. My pool is open to the public with minimal charges of cos..Smile

koruchann
Novice

Feb 22, 2008, 8:27 PM

Post #8 of 11 (16585 views)
Shortcut

REALLY!!!!!!!! thank you ! thank you! Yes Yes I would love to bring bailey for a swim! Whereabout in PJ? Those hypermarket plastic pools r quite shallow.. I worry her nails mite puncture it too!

I hope Bailey doesnt start to panic & trash around in your pool.... Pirate !

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 22, 2008, 9:26 PM

Post #9 of 11 (16583 views)
Shortcut

check this out..

http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/main.html

My place is in Taman Mayang. Let me know when you wanna come. you can call me at 012-4151524. I got some dogs which can do a demo..

koruchann
Novice

Feb 22, 2008, 10:51 PM

Post #10 of 11 (16575 views)
Shortcut

WOw, this is COOL! so nearby my office cos im working in Dataran Prima! Laugh

I will give you a call next week ya! Is it okay for us to come after i finish work bout 6.30-ish?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 23, 2008, 4:16 AM

Post #11 of 11 (16567 views)
Shortcut

Waaa.. So near le.. After your work would be good.. I am usually free after 4pm. C ya..

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my