commercial product intolerant

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 16, 2008, 11:24 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2552 views)
Shortcut
commercial product intolerant Can't Post

Hi to all,

My dog seems to have a problem digesting commercial product. I am referring to dry dog food, canned food & health products (for dogs). Whenever I feed him the above, he will experience tummyache or vomiting. But once I stop giving him all that, he get well on his own. He has been taking papaya everyday as he will not poo even if he eats vege. Recently I try giving him bene bac to aide his digestion. While taking bene bac, he poop everyday. However, after taking for a week, he started having tummyache and lost his appetite, even has no interest in his treats. he appeared lethargic for 2 weeks. But once I stopped given him bene bac, he gets well the next day. Anyone has the same experience? Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

(This post was edited by mickeymummy on Feb 17, 2008, 12:04 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 17, 2008, 7:50 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickeymummy] commercial product intolerant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there! Remember me? I'm sure you do...

Hmm, your dog's tummy is very very sensitive to lots of stuff. Last time you mentioned he cannot take pork/chicken or something like that & it was home-cooked, right? So I guess he has to go vegetarian then...Have you tried buying other commercial foods that are especially for sensitive stomachs. Is there such ones anyway? Have not seen any. But I think ah, he has to go fully vegetarian... That means, no more meat no more meaty soup. have you tried giving it broccolis? Broccolis are good for dogs . Some people say it makes dogs & even people fart but my dogs have been eating lots of it & so have I, no farting sensation yet so far!

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 18, 2008, 4:50 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] commercial product intolerant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thanks for your reply. Really need to talk to someone. I am really worried about my dog. He is on home cooked food all this while as he seems unable to digest dry dog food and even canned food. His stomach can't take health supplement very well too as he will ended up with tummyache or will vomit. As he dislike veg, I have been giving him papaya to help in his digestion. However, recently, he has a skin infection. after taking one week of antibiotic, he started to have stomach problem. He lost all his appetite in his food, even his treats. He was then given some live cultures to kill the bacteria in his stomach but he didn't get any better. This goes on for a week. Then one day, I decided to stop giving him the live culture and surprisingly, he got better after that. He regained his appetite the following day after I stopped feeding him the live culture.

However, though he started eating, but without the live culture, he didn't poo for 3 days. So yesterday I fed him some papaya which he has no problem digesting last time. But today he had tummyache again! He vomitted once this morning and poop too. His poo is normal, no diarrhea but I can hear some funny noise from his stomach. Til now, he is still rather lethargic and he didnt eat a single thing. I just wonder what is going on in his stomach. I dun know how to help him either. I really worry about him....

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 18, 2008, 6:38 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2532 views)
Shortcut

I have never experienced this before. Have you considered trying BARF for your dogs? check out these link who knows it might help.

www.rawmeatybones.com/

rawfed.com/myths/
www.workingdogs.com/vcbarf.htm

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 18, 2008, 8:50 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] commercial product intolerant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

I have ever asked his vet about barf but his vet thinks that dogs are not wild animal and shouldn't be given raw food. And given that his stomach is so sensitive, I am not sure if he can take the raw food. Actually, I have ever served this food semi raw (70% cooked). But my dog dun seems to like his food raw, maybe it is the blood smell that he dislike. But in any case, I think I should tackle his stomach problem first. At least find out what is wrong with his stomach. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, will consider that when he gets better.

sirwin81
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2008, 2:25 AM

Post #6 of 10 (2507 views)
Shortcut

When it comes to barf, different vets have different point of view. personally i feel that this kind of things u need to try it out urself. y not try barf for a week or two. u will be surprised with the development

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 19, 2008, 2:27 AM

Post #7 of 10 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Man, he's a little problematic... Hmm, what food he has no problem with? If that food, he's okay with it, then just stick to that. Forget about everything else that he can't take or is allergic to. Even supplements or live cultures, forget it! Have you brought him to vet yet & taken a scan of his stomach? Do you think he has a tumor inside his tummy or intestine that is hurting whenever he eats? I think he should get a scan...

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

Feb 19, 2008, 9:17 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] commercial product intolerant [In reply to] Can't Post

He is currently on minced mutton. I steam it and served. I used to add veg and papaya in his food. But since his stomach is intolerant of papaya (only recently), I just give him mutton alone. I know it is insufficient but there is really nothing I can do. I try to give him banana and pears for desert. But sometimes he just dun eat. I must say he is quite fussy with his food. And since he is allergic to so many things, sometimes I really dun know what to give him when he dun eat his food.

He had a tummyache on sunday. But got well on Monday. Can even play with his toys. He ate his breakfast but is fussy with his food again when it comes to dinner. This morning, he only ate 1/2 of his breakfast but still active. I am bringing him out later. Hope that with more exercise will stimulate his appetite. I am ok with him eating lesser but I am more worry about the fact that he dun poo regularly. Last time, I have to feed him papaya and bene bac (live culture) to make him poo. But now I can't even give him all that. Dun know how to make him poo.

I am bringing him back to see his vet on Thursday. Will see what is his recommendation

lovedoggies
ALPHA

May 14, 2008, 3:50 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2275 views)
Shortcut

hi mickeymummy,

i actually wrote you a whole long post but since i'm educating you, i thought everyone should know as well, so i created a thread for it.

it's about how bad commercial dog foods are
please read and you will understand why it's happening to your dog

http://www.puppy.com.my/...?post=322860;#322860

try holistic dog food.. i think "advance" was recommended.. else try eagle pack?

and may i ask how old is your dog and is he a small/medium/large breed ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My pets~
http://www.geocities.com/cherrryspets/petz.htm

In Loving Memories,
Rex(10May08) & Benji(20Feb08)
http://cherryonacherrytree.multiply.com/photos/album/42/Pets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mickeymummy
Dog Kichi

May 14, 2008, 7:56 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovedoggies] commercial product intolerant [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi lovedoggies, thanks for the info u have provided. Sorry about your lost furkid. I know how u felt cos' I have gone thru' that myself. Frankly speaking, I have all this while been feeding my dogs home cooked meal until I bought my current dog. When I bought my current dog from the pet shop, the sales person told me that I should give my dog dry food plus can food to provide him with a nutritious diet. She recommend me eagle pack. But my dog seems to have difficulty digesting the dry food(despite the fact that I soften the food in water first before I fed him) and will result in vomitting. He was hospital twice for vomitting when he was a puppy. After he discharged from the hospital (he was 4 mths old then), I gave him home cooked meal with fruits all this while. He is now 2 years old. The commercial product which I mentioned earlier refers to supplements. As I know that homecooked meal can not provide him with a balanced diet, I try to give him multi vitamin as supplement. But I soon realised that, his stomach not only could not tolerate dry dog food and canned food, but also all the commercial product for dogs. By taking them will only lead to tummyache and diarrhea for a few days. Recently, he had tummy upset again. upon recovering, his vet suggest that I gave him bene bac gel (good bacteria) to support his recovery. Unfortunately, that leads to another few days of diarrhea and vomitting. He got better after I stop the gel. My question is, why is that so. Anyone has encountered this problem in your dog too?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my