Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
change of scenery = forgetting training?

pingkey
Novice

Feb 5, 2008, 8:23 PM

Post #1 of 3 (6370 views)
Shortcut
change of scenery = forgetting training? Can't Post

hi everyone,

my min schnauzer is around 7.5weeks old and so far my hubby and i have been training her to pee/poo which is quite successful by our standards, haha. we live in a condo so we allocated a shower stall for her to pee where we lay papers on the floor. but CNY is around the corner and we thot of bringing her to my parents house for a day or two. will she get confused or will she forget the previous training since the environment is going to change? i do have a shower stall in my parents' house to mimick the one we have for her at our condo. but we dont want to take any chances incase all our hard work goes down the drain. pls advise. shld we stay home with her during the holidays then?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Feb 6, 2008, 7:59 AM

Post #2 of 3 (6356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pingkey] change of scenery = forgetting training? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there! Well, definitely she will make mistakes in your parents house becos she is barely 2mths old so that means her brains have not fully developed & then she JUST started learning how to do it on papers. No way she'll do it at your parent's house... Even though she does it at the right place in your condo, bu she will not do it right at your parent's place becoz it's a different environment also so, it's different to her. Doing it on papers is also very unnatural for the pup. So paper training will take weeks or months before they will accustom to doing on it only. So do expect her making a mess at your parent's place unless you parents confine her to that spot each time after her meal. But no guarantee she will not do it again even after she has done on it. Pups poo quite a lot! So if your parent's can catch her on time before she actually does it on the wrong spot, then quickly carry her to her toilet area which she's supposed to do it on. But nevermind lah, a little bit of mess here & there at your parent's place can tahan right? Only two days mah... After a while maybe at the age of 1 year old, the dog will learn not to do it anywhere else anymore. Only on paper. Bare in mind, small dogs are harder to train that big dogs so small dogs take more time to learn something. It takes time for the idea to click in its head. Small dogs also like to do their business in other people's homes eventhough they have been toilet trained & are already a year old...

pingkey
Novice

Feb 12, 2008, 8:39 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] change of scenery = forgetting training? [In reply to] Can't Post

hey amber,

thanks for your reply. Chloe was a very good puppy. i didnt get your reply until two days after i brought her back to my parents'

house. she remembered her training and she only soiled my rug once. but when we took her back to my condo on saturday, it was

as tho nothing changed. she still remembered everything, thank God. thanks for your caution anyway.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my