Running Away From The House

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 22, 2008, 4:08 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Running Away From The House Can't Post

Hello my fellow dog lovers,

I am having a serious problem. My dear Vasco - (Beagle - 1 year & 1 month old) keeps wanting to run away from the house. Till to date, he has run away from the house for a total of 4 times. The 3rd time he ran away (30th Dec) and I only found him back on the 3rd of Jan. Thank God, a fellow dog lover found him wandering the streets of Equine Park and took him in. Through the posters I was pasting around, we found him back. It is not that I dont have a compound - I am currently living in a corner lot of a double storey terrace house in Equine Park. We take the both of them (oh yeah, I have another furkid as well - Caesar - GR) for walks every day. I dont understand why he keeps running away.

We found out that he uses a particular drain hole to run out of the house. We have closed the hole with bricks, but he still tries to move the bricks away in order to run out. We have to constantly watch him whenever he is outside. Normally, I keep both of them in the house, after hearing about all the dog-napping that is going on. So, whenever he is let out to ease himself or to run around in the compound, he tries to run out.

Please advise as I am in dire need of help here.

Dave

(This post was edited by caesarvasco on Jan 22, 2008, 4:26 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 24, 2008, 9:04 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [caesarvasco] Running Away From The House [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Beagle is an escape artist! Most dogs who always run away from homes are usually becoz they are bored from being cooked up in the compound the whole day eventhough they have a big garden. I don't see why your dog wants to run away all the time. Well, my only opinion to why I think he always do so is that he just enjoys goings out & exploring by HIMSELF. Yes, you bring him out for walks everyday but I guess that's just not enough for him! He would prefer if he could do it by himself without being leashed up anytime. It sounds like your dog has no bond or connection with you becoz you mentioned he did not come home after a few days. Still wandering around the neighborhood, enjoying his sweet time... You will need to close or patch up any holes he can fit through & you'll need to be extra careful when opening he main gate. Leash him up 1st or lock him in the house 1st before you open the gate when going out or coming home. You should also train him not to run out whenever you open the gate.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Jan 24, 2008, 9:07 AM)

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 25, 2008, 12:57 AM

Post #3 of 11 (2847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Running Away From The House [In reply to] Can't Post

An escape artist he is - well, I have been trying all the methods possible to ensure he knows that he should not run out. I do hope and pray he will not figure out any other new methods to run out. In fact, ever since he ran out the last time, I have been taking him out for walks and runs 2 times a day. Since I go for my daily jogs daily, he is running with me every morning for 2kms. I hope that will keep him exercised enough. The thing is I knew Beagles are generally hyperactive dogs, but this fellow takes the word hyperactive to a whole new level.

I thank you for your valuable reply. I will ensure all holes in the compound are covered and that he is always tied up before the gates are opened in the house.

And by the way, congratulations on Chloe's win at the K9 Show.

vw1973.blogspot.com

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jan 25, 2008, 2:00 AM

Post #4 of 11 (2844 views)
Shortcut

Hai Caesar,

I had an exhausting experience over the weeknd babysitting my bther in-law's beagle- 6 mth old Bobby. Only, one thing I can say...Beagle is so, so, so active. Even my min. pin got agitated and surrender with Bobby. He just donno when to stay still.....(he he he)..Crazy

We slept, like 3 a,m, that day cos Bobby, keep disturbing everyone, wanting to play...when my kids' are already soo sleepy..I salute the Beagle owner...its really not easy to handle one ...Phew !!! Cos they seem to have all the energy, and never feel tired.

I really feel pity for some Beagles at the pet shop . I saw one, 6mths old, Beagle at SS2 pet shop. Imagine with all that energy he is caged 24/, that long. I hope he is freed soon....

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jan 25, 2008, 8:46 AM

Post #5 of 11 (2838 views)
Shortcut

I think it's still not enough for him. Beagles are very hyperactive dogs & they can be very stubborn at times. Why not bring him to school for some Obedience & Agility training? Obedience teaches the dogs good manners, it will get the dog more focus & more responsive & plus, you will get more control of him. Agility is a good sport for hyperactive dogs like Beagles. Beagles love to run & jump! Good exercise for them too... Oh,t hank you! We're so happy that Chloe won! Now we have two Miss K9 Malaysia, hahaha!

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 28, 2008, 10:19 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Running Away From The House [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much Amber. I have downloaded the forms for the Obedience Lessons. I will be taking Vasco for the lessons. As you said, I'm sure the Obedience Classes will help him learn to be more obedient and to be lesser of a rascal he is Smile

vw1973.blogspot.com

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 30, 2008, 2:14 AM

Post #7 of 11 (2762 views)
Shortcut

sometimes for some dogs exercising is not enough. my pappy needs mental stimulation too aside from exercise. playing fetch maybe? or hide-seek game or something. beagles are known for their hunting nose so maybe you can try to make up a game like sniffing u or something out etc. would be fun for you too

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 31, 2008, 1:41 AM

Post #8 of 11 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Running Away From The House [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Zephyros, I will take your suggestions into consideration. In fact now we have already started jogging for about 2 1/2 to 3 kms. It is fun because we are both getting fitter. So, I hope the extra exercise we are getting ourselves into will help him calm down and not want to run away.

Smile

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 31, 2008, 1:44 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2737 views)
Shortcut

hahahah yea i'm in your situation too. actually i'm glad cause it's helping with my cholestrol problem HAHAHAHA

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 31, 2008, 4:54 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Running Away From The House [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes tell me about it. From the time I started running with Vasco, I feel so fit. In fact, we're thinking of preparing ourselves for the Dogathon this year in UPM. We're slowly trying to increase our pace and distance. I hope the both of us will become fitter. He has been putting on some kilos himself. So this will be a good method of the both of us 'reducing the cholesterol' as you say.

Cheers Zephyros!

vw1973.blogspot.com

caesarvasco
Novice

Jan 31, 2008, 9:59 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2717 views)
Shortcut

I would like to thank all of you for all your inputs. Please keep posting your suggestions if you have anymore. I need all the advise I can get to ensure that lil' Vasco does not run out again. In fact, he did try again this afternoon. But we caught him before he could get out. He has used his paws and created a huge hole in the fence. We need to get some grills and close the entire fence. But he is always being watched very closely.

vw1973.blogspot.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my