Home: General: Chit Chat:
ethical dilemma

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 9, 2008, 11:08 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1147 views)
Shortcut
ethical dilemma Can't Post

about two months ago, our much loved dog went missing. as he is a friendly and beautiful little maltese, we're pretty sure he has been taken and will not be returned despited the fact that we've put out flyers, buntings etc.

now, we are looking for another dog to fill the gaping hole he left behind. however, to my surprise, breeders are few and far in between. getting in touch is difficult and fewer still have websites.

so, i admit that i have been to petshops to look and even spoken to middle men about finding a dog. which brings me to think that it must be the same for people looking for cats

breeders are hard to find if you don't travel in the right circles. good breeders even more so while petshops are just round the corner and ever so convenients.

also, petshops offer 0% finance!!!! that's gotta be attractive. even i don't find it easy coming up with 2k + on the spot.

what i am trying to say is that to all you ethical people out there, breeders and rescueers alike, don't be too harsh on ppl who buy from petshops la.... now that i am in their position of looking for another companion, i can see their difficulties.

and if you want to know why any mutt off the streets won't do, it is because my husband takes his dog to work with him so this new one has to be as small as monty, our lost baby.

petepicure.wordpress.com/
pinkpetfood.blogspot.com/

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

reneewong

Jan 9, 2008, 11:15 PM

Post #2 of 11 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alicia] ethical dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

Alicia, there are plenty of dogs up for adoption (purebreed or not) who are as small as a maltese. Just ask Yen. I was at her place the other day and saw PLENTY of really cute small dogs up for adoption.

If you choose to buy from a petshop you have probably bought a dog whose existence is the result of a lot of animal misery in its parents, and you are encouraging the cruel and inhumane treatment of animals in breeding farms. Why shouldn't I view your actions harshly?

So your happiness and the one lucky dog's happiness is worth the misery and sadness and death of the dog's parents and whatever unsold siblings that puppy had that were not sold?

Do you realize that your snatched dog could RIGHT NOW be being kept in a small caged and abused to produce the very maltese puppy you are now thinking of buying?

Not to be drama, but that could very possibly be happening.

yes, getting a new dog of the breed you want is harder if you don't go to a petshop for 'instant gratification'. But it is the right thing to do for all the animals concerned - what's so terrible about waiting patiently for the right dog or opportunity to come up?

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2008, 1:19 AM

Post #3 of 11 (1129 views)
Shortcut

people are not being "harsh" it's just some people dont' get it and needs a little, harsh love Sly

look at it at another perspective, in your honest opinion, which pup do you think would be much more cared for. Honestly

1) a pup that you so easily found in a petshop that you have to finance RM20 a month for 1 year

OR

2) a pup that took you 1 month to research on, another month to find a breeder and another 3 months for the puppy to be ready to return with you to your home at the price of RM1500 cash?

Chances are in MY honest opinion I would cherish the pup from choice #2 more than I would for the pup in #1. Reason being, it took me a lot of effort to get this pup. So i'll appreciate it more. An easier example, if u bought a kancil compared to a BMW, which do you think you'd pay more attention to caring for more?

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2008, 1:52 AM

Post #4 of 11 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reneewong] ethical dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

renee,

he is desexed as are almost all our pets barring the show cats. so at least i know we are not contributing to the problem. thank heavens....

also, i've looked at yen's dogs for adoption and i haven't noticed anything under three kgs. jon would've taken one of our adoption dogs but the malay staff are quite petrified of anything bordering on normal size hence the specific need to something really small.
Alicia Ling Horsley

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."Dante

(This post was edited by alicia on Jan 10, 2008, 2:07 AM)

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2008, 1:58 AM

Post #5 of 11 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] ethical dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
people are not being "harsh" it's just some people dont' get it and needs a little, harsh love Sly

look at it at another perspective, in your honest opinion, which pup do you think would be much more cared for. Honestly

1) a pup that you so easily found in a petshop that you have to finance RM20 a month for 1 year

OR

2) a pup that took you 1 month to research on, another month to find a breeder and another 3 months for the puppy to be ready to return with you to your home at the price of RM1500 cash?

Chances are in MY honest opinion I would cherish the pup from choice #2 more than I would for the pup in #1. Reason being, it took me a lot of effort to get this pup. So i'll appreciate it more. An easier example, if u bought a kancil compared to a BMW, which do you think you'd pay more attention to caring for more?

how is buyinhg a kancil vs bmw comparable to petshop and breeder? furthermore, ANYTHING under my care, i would care for equally, mutt or pedigree.
Alicia Ling Horsley

(This post was edited by alicia on Jan 10, 2008, 2:02 AM)

reneewong

Jan 10, 2008, 2:46 AM

Post #6 of 11 (1108 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
also, i've looked at yen's dogs for adoption and i haven't noticed anything under three kgs..

It's good to know you spayed!

Did you mean you looked at yen's dog on the forum? Last time I was there (at her house) she actually had more small dogs than big ones - there was a small fluffy spitz like dog (i know it was a purebreed i just can't remember what) that was under 3 kg, and there were a few others there as well.

SPCA also has small dogs from time to time, and sometimes other small dogs come up for adoption on this forum.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 10, 2008, 4:39 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1083 views)
Shortcut

I am sorry to hear about your lost dog. And yes Renee is right I do have small dogs for adoption and also big big ones which was just adopted by Renee. Pedigree and mongrels also. From time to time there are people who surrender dogs to me regardless of pedigree or mongrels.

The reason why some people gets to adopt my pedigree is because they make an effort to visit and also to call and talk to me about what they want. I won't reveal the people here due to protectig their privacy. Some who adopt my mongrels and take good care of them I also will offer them one once it comes in hand. introducing themselves is also very important as i dunno them at all. some call and straightaway ask for a pedigree that's what makes me mad sometimes. i judge people from the way they speak and also their views on certain issues. They come with intention to look for a mogrel regardless of size but if I feel they are right i will offer them a pedigree straight if i have one in hand. They also have to show me that they are sincere in adopting the dog before i decide who it goes to.

I have rehomed so many dogs, mongrels and pedigrees, breeds can go to rare ones like afghan, lhasa apso also normal breeds like pekingnese, shih tzu, GR, dalmatian, pom spitz and the list goes on..

i do realise some people can talk very well therefore questions are always asked by me and also they are neutered before being rehomed just in case. I myself has also adopted 1 that is small and was found in a dustbin. some come with problems which need lifetime care so sometimes i just give it to a relative or close fren so that i can monitor them.

Don't you think that my phone/email will be bombed once i put up a dog which will not go over 3 kgs for adoption? not only from potential adopters but also from backyard breeders and funny people.. That's y i rather go for people who have adopted from me, close contacts or by reccomendation. Other than that i do scout for new people in forum and also by interviewing callers..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

mbless
K9 Kaki

Jan 11, 2008, 8:16 AM

Post #8 of 11 (1047 views)
Shortcut

Hi Alicia, its me Molly, if u havent got your dog, please give me a call... I have a maltese, very very small... but he needs some care b4 I can neuter him... if you are keen call me.. he is smaller than a cat. 012 5175322.

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

Post #9 of 11 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] ethical dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

got another call reporting a sighting of monty. went to look and but couldn't find him Frown

molly, thank you for offering. i will keep it in mind.

yen, i deal mainly in cat rescue and i know exactly what you mean! your post is completely what i would have to say to people who ask me why i don't make it common knowledge when i get exotics, persians and forest cats for rehoming. thank you for the info and elegant explanation.

i hope and think this thread will provide valuable insight and food for thought to rescuers and potential adopters. life is about learning...

we will keep looking for a little longer but we've almost met a 3.5 legged maltese looking for a home. we shall wait and see...
Alicia Ling Horsley

mbless
K9 Kaki

Jan 12, 2008, 3:03 AM

Post #10 of 11 (992 views)
Shortcut

Not a prob alicia... U think about it... I lost your no so couldnt call you. Do you still rehome cats at IPR?
Hey thanks for your kind offer on the dog food but just couldnt find anyone to go collect from you.
I hope you find Monty soon...

alicia
Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2008, 3:29 AM

Post #11 of 11 (905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] ethical dilemma [In reply to] Can't Post

i work indepedently but have lots fo help from the feline society malaysia. in 2005 we rehomed 32 cats and in 2006 we managed 35. i'm targeting 36 for 2008 so wish us all luck!

is the maltese still with you? my email is aliciahorsley at . please get in touch with me anyway. now that i have the shop, i often have surplus food.
Alicia Ling Horsley

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my