Time between meal and doing her poo

ezrider70
New User

Jan 4, 2008, 5:35 AM

Post #1 of 25 (21075 views)
Shortcut
Time between meal and doing her poo Can't Post

Hi,
Angel is our little 5 month old Shih Tzu.
She has just moved in with us since New Year's eve last year. only 3 days, she's been pretty good at wanting to pee/poo by circling and whining. I take her out of the house to let her do her business.
We had a few accidents today and i would like to know if it is normal for her to only poo after almost 3 hours after her meal. This morning, i fed her at 6.30am and no urge to go till 8.30am. I got home at 4.30pm and she had done her poo in her playpen/living area.again in the evening, i fed her at 6.30pm and she only went at 9pm and that also she did it in the house. i failed to pick up her signal in time. i took her out a few times after her meal but nothing. i'm considering giving her a treat after she does her business outside. need some advice especially on teh length of time between meals and doing her poo. Thanks. ezrider70

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 10, 2008, 1:40 AM

Post #2 of 25 (20966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ezrider70] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

time for each puppy varies. the younger they are the sooner they weepoo. the older they get the more developed their bladders are thus the longer "holding" time they'll have. What you wanna do is teach the timing of weepoo.

for this you'll need to be very consistant and patient. Everytime your pup finishes her food you can take her out for a walk. if you notice that the pads are already soiled recently then chances are she won't be ready to go for a bit but if she hasn't this is a good chance to build this routine. just like an adult (sorry a bit disgusting lol), some are so routinely used to it, they wake up, they eat their breakfast, and brings the newspaper to the toilet. you want to achieve this "habit" with your pup.

takes a while but nothing a little patience and consistancy won't do. i can almost gurantee after my pup finishes eating, and i let him out, the first place he runs to, his weepad. stands there on a nicely freshly laid pad and does his business. i praise immediately BUT i wont' let him out. once he does it poopoo business THEN i let him out to play. so this builds his routine AND know-how of getting out to play. after eating he'll need to weepoo before he gets to come out and play. yea there might be times where he fakes a small piece of stool but I still give him the credit of trying Laugh

xjia
New User

Apr 1, 2008, 2:28 PM

Post #3 of 25 (19766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes im wondering, does the floor material has any influence on where dog going to pee/poo?

========================================

examples:
the floor where my puppy stays is rubber paper type(duno how to explain)

the place where i bring my puppy to poo its same floor material as where he stays,but its not near to his crate.

He poo on area around where he stays(when im not around and he cannot tahan already),
and poo on place where i bring him to

In Reply To

zephyros
Canine Addict

Apr 1, 2008, 5:10 PM

Post #4 of 25 (19755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xjia] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

well there is a slight "maybe" to your question. My maltese got no issue. but for my pup, he's been trainined on weewee pads. so any materials and slilghtly resembles the feel of a pad...he'll take it as a "ok" to do business there. at first I didn't know why but after a while i noticed his routine and took some action. what i did was to make sure he does his business first where he should before coming out. when out, i either, keep those carpets OR keep an eye on him. when he starts "circling" i give a firm "home" and indicate where i want him to do business. he roughly caught the idea now.

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008, 12:59 AM

Post #5 of 25 (19685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xjia] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

My 4 mth old pup can 'hold' for abt 6-7 hrs and if she's sleeping in room with me, she will not poo nor pee. She knows to 'sleep' till she sees/hears I'm awake. If she wants to do her biz, she'll cry whine for me to take her out.

But if she's in the kitchen, same type flooring as my room, she'll just do her biz if she sees no one around. I think coz in the past, when she was younger, she was kept there and did her biz there. So maybe still got scent to do there. Like one big toilet for her... Wink
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2008, 3:19 AM

Post #6 of 25 (19659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mum2jude] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... my dog will not pee or poo in the house... only on the green grass... he will "tahan" till i bring her outin the evening... when i bring him out for a morning walk, she just pee only... no poo...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2008, 4:12 PM

Post #7 of 25 (19651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

Just found out that my poor pup EATS her poop... to hide it from us. Only when she's in the room with me. If I miss taking her out for last poop at midnight, she'll do in room. So now, tired and all, I have to stand there till she goes poop then both can happily go back to bed. Damn tiring, I say! Unsure
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2008, 10:37 PM

Post #8 of 25 (19635 views)
Shortcut

eat her poo...?Shocked how many times she poo in a day...?? not good ler, eat poo... must toilet train her to poo in the morning and evening... then she wouldn't poo in the midnight ba...?? all my dog never pee or poo in the midnight as long as we bring them out in the morning and evening... how old is ur furkid...??

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2008, 10:55 PM

Post #9 of 25 (19631 views)
Shortcut

She's abt 3-4 mths old. Think she's over-eating... haha... She usually doesnt do it, only when she's in hse... then she must feel guilty to poo, want to 'cover' evidence by eating it up! She's out in garden all day so I dun really know how many times she poos in the day. Only at night, I bring her in.
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #10 of 25 (19628 views)
Shortcut

show her the fierce look... then said no... must train her not to eat poo ler.. she think the poo is chocolate is it...?? Crazy have to check she got ticks or not.. cause the whole day in the garden... dogs can easily get ticks when he's playing on the grass...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2008, 11:24 PM

Post #11 of 25 (19623 views)
Shortcut

no laa... she doesnt eat poo when I'm around... she only eats when I'm out of the room or sleeping. So cant show fierce look then. The only reason I found out she eats own poop is coz I peeked at her one nite! and EEeeuuuuwwwww saw what she was doing. Quickly washed her mouth out...

I bath dogs and put tick repellant on them each week/fortnight. Sometimes still get ticks but not too bad laa... got season wan.
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 10, 2008, 12:19 AM

Post #12 of 25 (19618 views)
Shortcut

last time my shiro also like that... pee and poo when im not around... but then he never eat his poo la...

have to keep on eye on her... if not eat poo again...Pirate if next time happen again, give her the fierce look... then slowly she will learn...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 1:08 AM

Post #13 of 25 (19611 views)
Shortcut

Oh yeah, now I'm very on the alert to catch her in the act of eating poop again... Only saw her once so havent had chance to show fierce face yet... too horrified the first time! Crazy
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

nphew

Apr 10, 2008, 1:22 AM

Post #14 of 25 (19609 views)
Shortcut

there are supplement that you can give the dog to prevent them from eating their own poo. I feed my puppy the same thing for another purpose - to reduce the smell of her pee/poo

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 1:27 AM

Post #15 of 25 (19607 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nphew] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

She doesnt eat it coz she likes it... coz she doesnt eat it if she poops outside the house. Think she's just scare kena marah when poop in house so she tries to hide it by eating it all up... clean... nothing to kena scolding!
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 10, 2008, 1:35 AM

Post #16 of 25 (19605 views)
Shortcut

your puppy is really kind of special case...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 1:38 AM

Post #17 of 25 (19603 views)
Shortcut

yup, very special... very special HEADACHE for me!! Mad
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

nphew

Apr 10, 2008, 1:40 AM

Post #18 of 25 (19603 views)
Shortcut

Wink

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 10, 2008, 1:58 AM

Post #19 of 25 (19596 views)
Shortcut

keep us update... hope your furkid is improving... sooner or later she will know that... cannot eat poo.... actually human also got eat poo... cannot expect the dog won't eat especially they don't understand human language...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

(This post was edited by Veanne on Apr 10, 2008, 2:00 AM)

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 4:58 PM

Post #20 of 25 (19525 views)
Shortcut

Yay... last nite she woke me up at 1am to take her down to garden to poop... so another nite of no eating poop for her!

Damn tiring for me, tho... Crazy
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 10, 2008, 10:42 PM

Post #21 of 25 (19499 views)
Shortcut

erm... maybe you should toilet train her... for example poo on the newspaper... so when she want to poo... she will automatically go and poo herself... then you no need to wake up also... some more if she knows she can poo on the newspaper, i think she wouldn't eat the poo to cover up her mistake... hehe... just an opinion...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008, 10:55 PM

Post #22 of 25 (19495 views)
Shortcut

no, I'm training her to go in the garden. Now that she's so young and eats too much, she poos more often. But when older, shud be able to hold poo all night like my other dogs. Only when I let them out in morning, they go poop. Only time they wake me to let them out is on the rare occasion when they have an upset tummy or really really cant hold.

Just must be patient for another few months... Unimpressed
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 11, 2008, 12:26 AM

Post #23 of 25 (19487 views)
Shortcut

i see.. ya... have to be patient for few months more... gambateh lor....

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

samanthagsh
Novice

May 8, 2008, 3:10 AM

Post #24 of 25 (17570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

i got problem training my 3 1/2 old maltese. I was told after his meal we should put him in the cage let him to his business. But its very dif for me to 'catch' his timing coz he will sometimes pee or poo after 2 or 3 hours after his meal le.. So how??? Oopss, sorry i didnt cage him only put him in the fence? Hmm, u think i should cage him. Can share some info of ur maltese...Since u r the kakiCool
Attachments: QQ.jpg (23.5 KB)

zephyros
Canine Addict

May 12, 2008, 4:09 AM

Post #25 of 25 (16699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [samanthagsh] Time between meal and doing her poo [In reply to] Can't Post

have you read any articles about crate training? maybe you can read about it and judge for yourself if your puppy is suitable. he's still young, 3 1/2 is quite young actually and his bladder is still under developed. what you might be able to do roughly catch his timing. if 2-3 hours is what you have, you can work with that. use that timing as your toilet training time.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my