Home: About This Site: Success Story:
Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway

pummkin
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 1:29 AM

Post #1 of 15 (72883 views)
Shortcut
Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway Can't Post

I stood in the middle of the federal highway to prevent cars from hitting him again. All three lanes of traffic was halted in my attempt after seeing him yelping in pain & fighting to survive the impact. I could see his hind leg was broken. My heart couldn’t be more torn to see an animal in excruciating pain. A taxi driver & two other motorcyclist stopped to help me pick him up to the side. We took him to the hospital. The doctors had to put a steel rod into his bone marrow to rejoin the fracture. Seeing that nobody would take him in this condition, I had to do it. This is his second week after surgery & he's doing fine. I've named him Miracle Rufous & my neighbour Richard & his wife Chae Lian gave me a pack of Purina dog biscuit to prepare me for his arrival.

He was a total stranger & I had lots of doubts since my last pet died in 1999 but with lots of attention & care, Rufous was miraculously trained (not much effort, just lots of talking) into doing his 'business' in the bathroom. He loves grooming & walks & the connection we have now is great. The accident happened on the 2nd of December 2007 & today, he's happily settled in my apartment without any barking or yelping while I'm at work (my neighbour will inform me if there's any). He's so good that I consider him the best Christmas present God has given me!!!

The Segar Veterinary Hospital which performed the surgery was excellent. They have accorded the best treatment & were most attentive to his needs. Dr. Chee & Dr. Teoh love him to bits because he expresses no fear & was very cooperative throughout. They said that from the xray, he's still a puppy! At 22kg, he's a very huge puppy but thank God for caring vets who answer a multitude of questions from me!

Having said that, Rufous is on his road to recovery & will be removing his rod in the next 1 month. Hopefully, he will have a full recovery in 6 months time!!! Merry Christmas you all!
If I'm not here, I'm underwater...!

myzanordin
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 2:13 AM

Post #2 of 15 (72879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pummkin] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahhhh..indeed a happy ending for you & miracle boy..such a touching story. Hope u and miracle boy will have a good life and time together...u are a true animal lover indeed. Keep up the good work!!..

Good work, Segar Animal Clinic..few of my cats were treated there too before, when I was staying in Cheras. Smack, my white tabby was badly beaten, broken leg and all...was treated there as well...He recovered too, without any surgery-natural healing..thanks to the support and comfort given by the vets there...he was boarded for 1/2 a mth..I truly recommend Dr. Segar Clinic...

Send us some pic. of miracle boy...so, his joining u for underwater trip???he he

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 2:35 AM

Post #3 of 15 (72875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pummkin] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

bravo! great job! it's fate that brought miracle boy to u... Smile federal highway, i fear to imagine standing right in the middle! Crazy thumbs up too to the taxi driver and motorcyclists who helped you! Cool

is that miracle boy in yr avatar? he looks good! do you think he's a lost dog or stray? btw, i go to segar vets too... Wink

take care!

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

pummkin
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 2:41 AM

Post #4 of 15 (72872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you but I believe I did it purely not to feel bad for the rest of my life for leaving the dog on the street for dead. He dropped soon after I stood on the highway to stop traffic, as if his life depended on me. I was on the way to church, to make matters more complicated, after I had sent him to the vet, I had no time to change into clean clothes. I thought then of the turmoil that he would bring to my life but he has brought nothing but joy.

This is my most involved dog rescue I've ever done. Previous ones were less complicated & we even managed to find homes for them. This one ended up in my home.

You may see his pictures here:-

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/pummkin/MiracleRufous

& I'll be updating his progress every now & then. I'm still thinking of what to do with him when I go diving....

pummkin
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 2:53 AM

Post #5 of 15 (72870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
bravo! great job! it's fate that brought miracle boy to u... Smile federal highway, i fear to imagine standing right in the middle! Crazy thumbs up too to the taxi driver and motorcyclists who helped you! Cool

is that miracle boy in yr avatar? he looks good! do you think he's a lost dog or stray? btw, i go to segar vets too... Wink

take care!

Segar Vets are great!!! I highly recommend them!!! I would get a call every 3 or 4 days to ask me how Rufous is doing & I find that really amazing.

On the question of him being a stray or lost dog, I really don't know as he was full of fleas when I got him. The strangest thing was, a Japanese man got out of his car & told me that he sees this dog roaming on the street near his place nearby the Federal Highway! He gave me RM50 to help pay for his medical expenses so bravo to him too!!! Even if he was owned, the owner did not take good care of him by restricting him in the compound of the house, hence, he roamed freely causing him to venture into the busy highway & getting knocked down. That's a terrible evil. Even if he comes to claim it, I would not return him for life. Not for the amount that I've spent (quite a lot actually) but for the fear of his irresponsible actions.

My lifestyle has changed tremendously since his arrival. I mop the place twice a day to keep it bacteria-free for him to lie around in & wipe him down after every walk & meal. He's really like a kid. I've started repeating words for him to understand me. What fun this is!!! Someone is finally listening! Hahahah!
Frown

yeee
Canine Addict

Dec 18, 2007, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 15 (72862 views)
Shortcut

Pummkin, I always hope I can be as strong and brave as you.

There is a white dog with little black patches near LDP Campbell Bridge. I first seen her in the morning running along LPD next to a factory where a lot of malay workers passing by. So I thought she might have been so happen to pass by there. But no, that's not true. I think she has been staying there, alone. I then seen her walking down from the pedestrian bridge, looking for food at the traffic light in the evening and the last time I saw her was last weekend when I stopped at the traffic light on the bridge. She was playing with herself, suddenly rushed to the middle of the road. Luckily there was a little traffic jam and vehicles in front of me was driving slowly so they stopped in time. This time I get a close look at her. She is beautiful. Despite being stray under the hot sun and rain, her fur is so beautiful and smooth.

I wonder how could I help her. That's definitely not a safe place for her.

Your story came in. And I admire you so much. I really hope I can be as strong and brave as you : )

pummkin
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 5:53 PM

Post #7 of 15 (72858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeee] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

What you need is an army of friends to come help you out. Go with food, light coloured clothing & patience. Take on an attitude of "EVEN IF MY CAR/CLOTHES/SKIN/HANDS GET DIRTY, IT DOESN'T MATTER. THEY CAN BE CLEANED." Then coax the dog to come to you. Once it has confidence with you, try offering your hand for it to initiate touch. Once you can touch, you can carry.

SPCA, PAWS, Furry Friends' Farm were all started because of individuals like you. So come what may, do what your heart tells you.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 6:06 PM

Post #8 of 15 (72854 views)
Shortcut

Our Rescuer fren, Acsyen also provide home boarding for furkids...you can call her at (012) 415 1524. She is an animal lover, so you can be assure your furkid is in good hand...

Many forum members will agree with that...

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 7:07 PM

Post #9 of 15 (72847 views)
Shortcut

from what u've mentioned, i think miracle boy is a stray puppy... even if he had an owner, that is the past... history! Rufous now has an owner (YOU!) who deserves him so much more! Cool and i can only imagine his vet bill! Crazy

i agree very much that it is really irresponsible to let a dog to roam freely on the streets... but sadly, many owners still take the easy way by letting their dogs out on their own to do business, not realising the many dangers out there on the streets... Mad

where do u stay? would love to meet miracle boy someday... and of course to put a face to the incredible owner he has! Wink

cheers!

Sookie's Photo Gallery

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #10 of 15 (72845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yeee] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

hi yeee, i'd be more than willing to help in your rescue effort for this LDP dog... do let me know when u wanna form a 'team' and come up with a rescue plan... Smile

cheers!

Sookie's Photo Gallery

pummkin
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 7:15 PM

Post #11 of 15 (72844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Miracle Survivor Of A Car Accident on Federal Highway [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm new to this forum & wanted to share my story to encourage people that it's possible to make room for a dog in your life. My lifestyle had to change so drastically, for the better as I was spending so much time at the office pounding away on the computer. Now I escape my boss' late night meetings & conditional suppers to have more meetings by having an 'excuse...' - my injured dog needs my attention & medicine!!! Hah! Great!

I would love to bring Rufous out to meet some of you here but are there any dog-friendly restaurants or mamaks we can go to???

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #12 of 15 (72842 views)
Shortcut

there is always room for a dog in a person's life... it's whether the person is willing to make changes and adjustments to his/her lifestyle... Smile

my life and lifestyle also changed since i adopted Sookie from spca 4 years ago... she's my very first dog, and i was not used to it in the beginning, but now i cannot imagine living without her... sometimes when i look at my dog, i do not see a dog... she is a little human being... a fren... seriously! Cool

i hear there're some dog frenly makan places around... will try digging in the 'dog frenly places' thread in the forum later... r u in cheras? i assume, since u go to segar vets? Tongue

Sookie's Photo Gallery

pummkin
Novice

Dec 22, 2007, 1:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (72773 views)
Shortcut

I'm bringing Rufous to the vet tomorrow morning at 9:00am & if anyone of you are nearby & would like to see him, you are welcome to come to Segar Veterinary Hospital then & say hello!!!

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2007, 1:33 AM

Post #14 of 15 (72771 views)
Shortcut

i'm going to the vet tonite leh... the staff kept warning me abt the pasar malam tonite, said will be jam, lots of cars! haahahaa! but wat to do, can only go after work later...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

potter

May 28, 2008, 10:54 AM

Post #15 of 15 (57252 views)
Shortcut

Wow..I just read this thread. Its a thread written 6 months ago but it touched my heart so much

that it put me in tears.

Your such a good soul for rescuing the pup. From the pictures, he does look like he is just a pup.

I hope someday, you'd be able to bring him for diving too. I have seen a documentary where a diver made

a diving suit for his dog with oxygen tank attached in US. Not sure if it actually becomes a real product

available in the market yet or not.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my