Before taking Heartgard...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 19, 2007, 5:34 AM

Post #26 of 33 (7104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CEDRICSIN] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

This raise question wherether it is necessary we need to gave heartworm prevention to our dog at all?

I meet a reputable breeder about 8 years back. All his dogs are not on heartworm prevention but all live & die till old age with no heartworm problem. I was advice by him no need gave heartworm prevention. But I still gave to my dogs till now just to be on the safe side rightCool

Should I stop or continue giving? Hmmmmm.................

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 31, 2007, 9:06 AM

Post #27 of 33 (7048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

reputable breeder and vet....hard to choose who to believe actually, both are experience, breeder is very good in dog's behavior, lifestyle, particularly breeding (maybe more), another one in treating the animals and seeing patients everyday......
For me, i will play safe and wont take the risk.........

frans81
Novice

Dec 17, 2007, 10:53 PM

Post #28 of 33 (6991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CEDRICSIN] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just bring my 4 months old puppy to one of the vet in Nusa Bestari, Skudai. As according to the vet, she advise me to gv an injection, proHeart (if I can remember correctly) to my puppy as heartgard is only good for up to kill worm that less than 30 days.

According to the vet, the injection is more convenient as only need to take an injection every 6 months.

Just wanted to check with the expert here, is what the vet said correct on the heartgard effectiveness on worm of up to 30 days? Pls advise.

Jess_lee

Dec 18, 2007, 12:47 AM

Post #29 of 33 (6988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [frans81] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm...in this case. If injection can last up to 6 months, it's more convenient. Currently I'm feeding my pup once per month, each tablet with RM15.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 5:07 PM

Post #30 of 33 (6979 views)
Shortcut

Yes at this age, 6months once jab is good as their weight is still changing. It is effective as long as your dog is not yet a year old. AFter a year old a test needs to be done before giving the jab. After a year old you can do yearly jab. For smaller breeds it is actually cheaper to give yearly jab(RM80++) than to give the monthly tabs..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

frans81
Novice

Dec 18, 2007, 10:34 PM

Post #31 of 33 (6969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

The vet charge me RM50 as my pup weight only ard 500gm. The pup will need another test on heartworm after 6 months, if the result is positive need to start on heartgard else can continue with the injection.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 18, 2007, 10:37 PM

Post #32 of 33 (6967 views)
Shortcut

sounds a bit strange to me..Feel strange that at this age it is already on prevention how to be tested positive. Furthermore heartworm doesn't develop overnight. It takes months.. Anyway the vet knows better..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

frans81
Novice

Dec 21, 2007, 11:21 PM

Post #33 of 33 (6954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Before taking Heartgard... [In reply to] Can't Post

hm... i got no idea on this... just follow the vet advise maybe she know something that we dunno gua... :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my