Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
confused by my blu heeler's dysfunctional behavior..very strange please help!

smokey774
Novice

Dec 4, 2007, 1:01 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2331 views)
Shortcut
confused by my blu heeler's dysfunctional behavior..very strange please help! Can't Post

ok so my pup ozzie (osmosis) is seven months old. he actually just got his second testicle LOL! but i am super excited cus it looked like it wasnt coming in...but anyway! he has always had some um..well, strange behavior.

i understand some puppies delveop the "excitment" pee which he has..but its really weird. he is very active like all blue heelers are, but its like he cant sit still. he will tire out eventaully but when i try and petr him or something he gets all squirmy and tries to lay down but not in the way like "rub my belly" its more like hes nervous and doesnt know how to sit while im petting him. now i have spanked him before or hit him on his muzzle (not hard) but to get his attention if he is trying to jump or bite or spanked him if he continually pees which is another weird thing but overall i havent done anything that would be consitered wrong or cruel. i do raise my voice but its cus when i ask nicely he just continues and ive even tried using treats and he just ignores me and when i begin to raise my voice he just doesnt care until i really yell at him and then hes like "fine ok JEEZ!" but its like he doesnt listen. ive used hamburger meat to try and desensitise him from his nervousness and it doesnt work.

so sometimes when he comes in from outside and immediately runs by the copmputerr desk and its like hes trying to hide! which is odd cus whenever he comes in a give him his "potty" treat. or sometimes ill just be at the computer and he starts acting really weird and ill look down at him to see what hes doing and hell look at me like hes in trouble and he'll squat and pee and lower his ears and when i go to clean it up he'll do it even more. and i do not understand that cus other times he has no problem with confidence. i dont know why he would be afriad of me i havent done anything and a lot of times hes normal and comes up to me and is playful and then out of nowhere he acts like i just punished him when i dont even say or do anything!! im not sure where it is coming from and its really frustrating cus sometimes he doesnt want to come to me and he'll army crawl and cower and i feel so bad and i try not to touch him too much or be mean so to make it worse but that hasnt helped. im his first owner so to m,y knowledge hes never been abused but it almost seems like he has. he has always acted this way but as he gets bigger it gets worse. im concerned he has some form of dysfunctional personality if thats even possible. i try and think of times where he could have been traumitized and i cant think of any. i know i couple times the cats have scrted him and it scared him but hes not afria d of him and also once our neighbors grandson was playing with him and ozzie yelped and ran from him but besides that nothing. he is with me all the time. i get that raising my voice may scare him and im working on that but the other things hes doing do not make sense. so im just wondering if anyone has had the same problem?? or could give me advice? i love my puppy so much but his behavior really annoys me sometimes and its just weird. and also he is super girly and its weird but he is just acts sissyish! i dont know how else to explain it. but anyway i need answers cus i dont want my puppy to act this way.

thanks for any imput!

FLK

Dec 4, 2007, 7:26 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smokey774] confused by my blu heeler's dysfunctional behavior..very strange please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your pup is belong to timidly type. The time when you spanked him, he did not understand why.

Now whenever he sees you he doesn't know what to do and is afraid that u will spank him again. I suggest you send your dog to training so that he can build up his confident again.

There are two advantages to train your dog :

1. The dog will become more obedient and respect to the owner.

2. The dog will understand what the owner need.

3 The dog will become more socialize.

So I hope you can consider it .

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 4, 2007, 10:24 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smokey774] confused by my blu heeler's dysfunctional behavior..very strange please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

no biggy don't worry. can be fixed.

my maltese used to do it and still does it occasionally when mommy picks him up. doesn't when i do. no idea lol. might be the high picthed "NO" lol

anyway ~

1) when ur dog runs to you, try to kneel down to almost eye level (almost). put your hands on the floor with the palms facing up. let your dog see them both. avoid having them high enough to look intimidating (when u spank kinda position). u can also try putting some peanut butter or honey on your palm and let your dog lick. let him learn that your hands does not always mean pain.

2) when he's excited, avoid picking him up immediately. let him calm down a bit, THEN you try to pick him up if u want to. to pick him up, don't do it while ur standing WAAAAYYYYY up. if u remember while u were a small kid and one of your hairy scary smoking uncle tries to carry u. same towards your doggy. you are bigger than him. size and height wise. same as above, kneel down put your hands on the floor and slowly cup him up. don't swing too fast as it might startle him

slowly work on these and see if they work. worked for me. avoid spanking your dog if he jumps. Giving him 0 attention works better. the reason he jumps is for the attention anyway. if he jumps, take a step towards him, and turn your back on him. avoid eye contact at all cost. keep your back facing him till he quiets down. Then praise.

silysallie1990
Novice

Dec 6, 2007, 1:11 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Yea you dog is very timid! australian cattle dogs(blue heelers) dont do well with being spanked or hit... food doesnt seem to be doing it for him... i would use toys instead and maybe ever teach him some retrieval games to reinstate your bond and trust and do what everyone else has said

Gus-Gus
Canine Addict

Dec 7, 2007, 3:17 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2268 views)
Shortcut

Hi. I was reading about your troubles with your blue heeler and I am rather concerned that your dog's nervous behaviour is caused by you. Sorry to be so blunt about it but before we can help your dog, we have to look at the root cause. I admit I don't know you nor have I seen you with your dog but I have to base my suggestions on what you have written to describe your situation.

You use words to describe him and his demeanour like "super girly" and "sissyish" which shows that you have expectations as to how he should behave and that his character and personality is not what you expected. You have to modify how you interact with Ozzy because he is obviously not a rough and tough dog. You obviously behave towards him like you would with a dog who is rough and tough. He has a soft character and you have to take that into account with your approach to him.

Are you by nature a gregarious person with a slightly loud, outgoing personality? If you are, and only you would know, you have to find a way to modify yourself. The reason is this - Ozzy is so accustomed to your personal noise level that he has learnt to tune you out to a certain extent so as not to be terrorised by the noise. You know that Ozzy is nervous so you try not to shout at him when you are talking to him but the thing is that when you talk unusually quietly, Ozzy doesn't realise that you are talking to him until you scream at him and that makes him jump and he pees. He's wary of you on a day to day basis but until you put your attention on him, he's got no reason to be scared. Then he pees and you get cross and he thinks you are going to hit him so he's scared of you.

The peeing is a nervous problem caused by his fear of you and your reaction to the peeing is making it worse for Ozzy so it becomes a horrible cycle of fear, peeing, punishment and more fear. You have to break that cycle by not reacting to the peeing. Dog pee is unpleasant so what you have to do is to put Ozzy in a diaper so that he can pee into it and not make a mess in your home then that is one thing less to worry about while you gain his trust. Just remember to change the diaper at least twice a day and wash him regularly so he doesn't get diaper rash.

I hope this helps.

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Ghandi.

smokey774
Novice

Dec 17, 2007, 12:02 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gus-Gus] confused by my blu heeler's dysfunctional behavior..very strange please help! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey guys..thanks for the advice..but for gus um..im sorry but i think your a bit off on what you were saying about the expectation thing. i called him girly and sissyish cus he does thingas like hold his paw like girls do sometimes and just funny stuff but i dont get mad at him for it

i think his sensitiveness is adorable..and i dont think he pees when im "yelling" cus he doesnt do it when i yell its at random times when people come or sometimes when im not even looking at him and he does it in a weird way but i get what you mean but trust me its not like my dog is scared of me cus most of the time he is normal. he doesnt have trouble coming to me, he likes when i pet his face and trusts me to rub between his eyes and stuff like that so i dont think its that on a day to day basis..like i said, ive had lots of dogs and ive never seen this sort of behavior..my other dog is not like that and i raised them the same. i agree he is more sensitive cus he def is a softie. but i can assure you im not mean to him. me calling his a sissy is just my crude humor. i love him and i let him be who he is i never expected him to be anything but a dog..

but for the update he has been acting very normal lately, nothing has changed tho so now i am more puzzled. he is getting better around people and yes i still yell no when he jumps on the furnature or the counter or something but for some reason its like hes falling into place or something. so im not sure what it was but he hasnt been acting so strange the past week or so..so we'll see how it goes. and for im sorry i forgot what your user is but um lol..i liked your advicxe but i cant really pick him up he is sorta TOO BIG LOL!!! but i get what you mean and im going to try it.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my