Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Socializing, playtime, tricks and things....:
Getting older dog used to new puppy

kibbles_andcake
New User

Dec 2, 2007, 2:03 PM

Post #1 of 4 (7037 views)
Shortcut
Getting older dog used to new puppy Can't Post

I got a new puppy last thursday after months of wanting one as a playmate for my 7(ish) year old male bullmastiff.

The puppy's an 8 week old male cross breed (his mother is a collie X spaniel, and his father is unknown) and he already idolizes Jake.

The problem is Jake isn't too keen.

Maxi has tried running around after him, initiating play-time, watching him endlessly, even sleeping around him but Jake just walks away.

This evening, Jake had started play-bowing which I took as a really good sign, but then Maxi started chewing on Jake's tail and I know growling is a way for Jake to set limits on what's acceptable, especially since he's not that comfortable with Maxi being around, but it's worried me as Jake's never growled at anyone before. Later this evening, Maxi was sleeping at his feet and Jake jumped up, his mouth set like it is when he sees something he doesn't like.

I intervened both times before anything happened but I feel like this introduction isn't going so well.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get their bonding back on track? I've looked all over the net but I can only find artciles that presume the older dog is getting on well with the puppy.

Jake's not aggressive at all and he gets endless attention even when the puppy's around, it's only been about two days since Maxi's been with us but I'd rather get them on good terms sooner rather than wait a couple weeks for them both to settle down.

Thanks in anticipation.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 3, 2007, 9:25 AM

Post #2 of 4 (7022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kibbles_andcake] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I think you should post about this under Dog Aggression & Behavioral Problems section. You will get more feedbacks from there than here coz this section is for tricks & playtime.

kibbles_andcake
New User

Dec 4, 2007, 3:48 AM

Post #3 of 4 (7003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I was thinking of putting it in there but didn't want to make it seem like my older dog is aggressive or misbehaving. I'll repost it,

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 5, 2007, 8:51 PM

Post #4 of 4 (6969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kibbles_andcake] Getting older dog used to new puppy [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, had this introduction problem too. maybe what u can try doing it actually let them get to know each other BEFORE intiating any play. ie, you hold the pup and let the older one sniff him out. let your jake get used to the pup...cause being the older dog of the family, suddenly a little furball monster starts running around him..i'd be jumpy too lol. another way is to bribe jake lol everytime he patiently stays with the pup...treats ! :P

but yea, don't really need to rush, slowly let them warm up to each other. as long as your family doesn't ignore jake and make him feel like trash he shouldn't have any reason to be jealous against the pup.

keep us updated!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my