Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
shall i bath my 3 weeks old pup?

noisy
Novice

Nov 30, 2007, 5:16 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1651 views)
Shortcut
shall i bath my 3 weeks old pup? Can't Post

I found a pup near to a construction site. I think that pup was abandon by his mother. The security guard told me that he is about 3 weeks old. I sent him to the vets for check up and vaccination. I wonder can i bath that pup? Shall i use any doggie shampoo? I am trying my very best to keep him until i can get somebody to adopt her later.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 30, 2007, 6:01 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noisy] shall i bath my 3 weeks old pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Vaccine at 3 weeks old?? Something not so right. If wan bath make sure it's warm water. using wet cloth to wipe would be a better option. Also if the pup is really 3 weeks old you need to feed milk every 4hours. I dunno what your vet advise you. But by right every dog should be isolated from other dogs for 1 weeks when you pick it up and make sure there are no signs of any virus such as parvovirus or distemper before you give any vaccines. giving the vaccines while they have the virus on their body will kill them. General check up is a must and vets must also see if the white blood cells are high or not to see if there are any infection in the body. Pups should only be vaccinated after 6 weeks old as their mother's milk will give them a strong immune system that will reject the vaccine. Shampoo use mild pup shampoo make sure dun get water into their ears and eyes..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

noisy
Novice

Nov 30, 2007, 11:44 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] shall i bath my 3 weeks old pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for yr advise. The doctor vaccinated the pup cause the pup looks more than 3 weeks old. At the moment we tried to feed every 4-6 hours, very tiring. I wonder what happened to his mother? Anyway me and my wife trying our very best to help that pup.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2007, 3:12 AM

Post #4 of 7 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Some mothers do reject pups that are weak or the smallest.. And vaccines are best done 1 week after you found the pup.. Anyway good luck in keeping the pup. You can try buy puppy food and make them soft in milk/water then feed them. That way they wun get hungry so fast as eating liquid food.

noisy
Novice

Dec 1, 2007, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] shall i bath my 3 weeks old pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

i dare not give him solid food yet cause he got no teeth at the moment. Thanks a lot Yen. I managed to bathed him yesterday evening and one more thing ....."keep up the good work"

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 1, 2007, 5:22 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1617 views)
Shortcut

thanks.. good luck with ur pup. anyway we see the pups age by their teeth, no teeth means below 4 weeks. Also when he got a bit of teeth then u can start with soft pellets. Make sure u rendam until the biscuit is soft then maybe gotta spoon feed a bit..haha.. really like take care baby.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Dec 3, 2007, 11:48 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1579 views)
Shortcut

actually the only reason one would not bath a young pup is afraid of it catching a cold which would be a VERY bad thing for something that young. if u did, make sure there are no drafts. a little wind is all it takes to make the pup go sick with a fever and can easily die in your arms overnight. Kudos on a good job saving the pup! u can give kibbles soaked in warm water to soften them if no teeth to bite yet. alternative is can food but i'd advice avoiding it as you "might" have a picky eater in your hands. not always but if the puppy eats soften kibbles then leave out the can food. :D

post some pics when you have them!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my