MS started barking

niq
Novice

Nov 21, 2007, 5:16 PM

Post #1 of 15 (12491 views)
Shortcut
MS started barking Can't Post

Hi all,

I've got an MS who's going to be 3 months old in a few days time. She's been with me for about 14 days now. She has been fine all this while until the last 2 nights where she would bark or whine when we put her in her crate to sleep. We have left her outside in the living room and did not entertain her when she bark. Just let her bark until she stops, normally she's at it for about 15-20 mins. But I am worried that the neighbour will start to complain (i live in a condo).

Also she now likes to bark when it's feeding time and when we wake up in the mornign and when she does not get any attention.

Are we doing the right thing to ignore her when she barks or do we need to go out n scold her to keep quiet. I've read in the forum that we should tire her out so that she'll sleep thru the night... but she's still got 1 more vaccination to go and so can't go out for walk. Is there any other way to tire her out?

Niq

boco

Nov 21, 2007, 5:40 PM

Post #2 of 15 (12486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [niq] MS started barking [In reply to] Can't Post

When puppies bark or whine, it's a sign that they need something. It can be food, pee/poo or attention. Maybe she's still not used to the new environment, she doesn't like to sleep in the crate or she's cold. Put a bone or toy to accompany her.

Don't ignore her, see what she needs at that time or say NO sternly if she barks unnecessarily.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 21, 2007, 6:04 PM

Post #3 of 15 (12481 views)
Shortcut

Hi niq,

When i first brought my MS home, she also whines in the middle of the night and we found that the reason she whine is that after she poos, she wants someone to clean the cage. Dogs normally dont like to soil the place they rest one so maybe that is one of the reason.

Maybe u can try this, the next time ur puppy starts to whine or bark at night, u scold them and if they still dont listen, gently close their mouth and says SssHhh..try this a few times and see.

U don't need to take ur dog for a walk to tire them out, just teach them to play fetch a toy or let them run about while ur at home, or give them toys to play cos there's a few times i caught my Mookie was playing with toys then suddenly she fell asleep on the toy already..cos puppies tend to sleep a lot mar..they get tired easily..

niq
Novice

Nov 21, 2007, 10:16 PM

Post #4 of 15 (12468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessyca_loh] MS started barking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi... thanks for the advice. Wow... u actually wake up and clean her cage in the middle of the night ah? Is there a way to prevent my MS from peeing or pooing in the middle of the night then? I have been training her to pee and poo at the balcony when I'm home. But when I'm at work or at night, I put her in her play pen (which is lined with newspapers) and she can poo or pee there. Hi niq,

When i first brought my MS home, she also whines in the middle of the night and we found that the reason she whine is that after she poos, she wants someone to clean the cage. Dogs normally dont like to soil the place they rest one so maybe that is one of the reason. Maybe u can try this, the next time ur puppy starts to whine or bark at night, u scold them and if they still dont listen, gently close their mouth and says SssHhh..try this a few times and see.

U don't need to take ur dog for a walk to tire them out, just teach them to play fetch a toy or let them run about while ur at home, or give them toys to play cos there's a few times i caught my Mookie was playing with toys then suddenly she fell asleep on the toy already..cos puppies tend to sleep a lot mar..they get tired easily..

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 21, 2007, 11:34 PM

Post #5 of 15 (12459 views)
Shortcut

Err nolah didnt clean her cage in the middle of the night, mostly its my BF who got up and scold her nia..they are still puppy so they cant really hold their wee or poo for long one but as they get older like my 10 mths old poodle, she can hold her business the whole night already until u let her out only she does her business, she is quite consistent one lor..in the mornings when i let her out she will finish peeing or pooing and then after dinner at night, she will do her business again..

As i have parents at home whom let them out, my poodle knows where to do her business. For my MS, im still training her to pee and poo at the same spot..she knows how to poo at the same spot but for pee, she doesnt seems to get it yet..

Got some ppl say remove their water in the evening so that they dont drink so much therefore don't pee as much lor but i didnt do that lar..since my MS is in the cage at night while she sleeps, i just let her pee and poo there until she's older and knows where to do her business liao, i dont have to worry already..

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 23, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #6 of 15 (12418 views)
Shortcut

Just bring your crate inside your room & she will be fine.

niq
Novice

Nov 23, 2007, 6:33 PM

Post #7 of 15 (12403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] MS started barking [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi.. other than letting my MS sleep in the room with me... are there other ways to stop her from whining or barking at night. Last night she was whining for a good half hour. From the time we put her in her playpen when we going to sleep.

Also in the mornings when we r going to work, and have to put her in her playpen... she'll start whining really loudly.

boco

Nov 23, 2007, 6:39 PM

Post #8 of 15 (12398 views)
Shortcut

Your MS feels lonely whenever you leave it alone. Did you say NO when she whines? Give her some toys to accompany her while you're away.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 23, 2007, 6:45 PM

Post #9 of 15 (12396 views)
Shortcut

Do u place some toys for ur MS in the cage?

Maybe u can try to put on the TV or the radio for the puppy, some ppl do recommend this method..

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 23, 2007, 6:48 PM

Post #10 of 15 (12396 views)
Shortcut

For me I bring the MS pup sleep on my bedWink I don't have other method.

niq
Novice

Nov 23, 2007, 10:42 PM

Post #11 of 15 (12380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] MS started barking [In reply to] Can't Post

There are toys for her in the playpen.. got 1 ball, 1 bear and also a chewing bone.

There's also water for her in there. Have told her NO when she starts. Then she'll keep quite and when we are in the room, she starts again. I've read somewhere that once we go into the room, we should not come out again if she starts to whine etc as this would make her think that when she whines etc, we will come out everytime.

Maybe I'll try leaving the radio on for her. Or someone said to leave a old baju in the playpen with her that has our smell.

jessyca_loh
K9 Maniac

Nov 23, 2007, 11:41 PM

Post #12 of 15 (12378 views)
Shortcut

Oh ya, i did that b4 by leaving my shirt there for my MS to sniff..erm i guess it works cos i only tried few nites, she is ok sleeping in the cage now w/o making noise cos my MS has sister Poodle to accompany her nearby..

The other way u may want to try is start the separation anxiety training lor where u prepare some treats and when she whine, scold her No and when she stops whining, praise her and give her a treat, then leave the room for 1 min..if she didnt make noise, praise her and give her a treat again..u can slowly increase the time lor from 1 - 2 mins then 5 mins ..

boco

Nov 24, 2007, 12:01 AM

Post #13 of 15 (12373 views)
Shortcut

Only come out once to say NO to her. If she don't obey the NO and continues to whine, just ignore her. If you come out again, this will only encourage her to whine.

mickey123
Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2007, 2:12 AM

Post #14 of 15 (12368 views)
Shortcut

hi,

have you introduce the crate to her?? or let her eat in her crate?

I did that when I first bought my lab.. she's only 6 weeks old when she's with us... I feed her in the crate with the door open.. let her know that we're not closing the door and she can come out any time (she needs to feel safe).. at first, she didn't get use to it, but after a few times, she's ok already.. at night, we put her in when she's tired.. closed the crate and stayed with her for a while until she closed her eyes (for the first few nights only).. then, we stayed away from her and waited.. see whether she'll bark or whine.. so, far it's ok.. for the first few nights, we switched on the light for her, after she got used to it, we switched off the light and she's ok.. now, my lab is already 3 months old.. she's willing to get into her crate when she's tired or when we want to get out (when she sees us holding keys with bags).. by the way, we still need to push her into the crate when we want to go out.. just that when we put her two feet in, she'll get in herself..

always keep the door open when you don't want to lock her.. let her in to drink water freely.. and eat when it's time for your furkid's meal.. when he/she gets used to it, it'll be ok already..

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 26, 2007, 6:45 AM

Post #15 of 15 (12360 views)
Shortcut

my newest puppy whined for every 2 hours and when he does it was like the end of the world..it was LOUD.

i wore the puppy out...seems to help a bunch. played with him till he was dead tired. he was literally falling asleep with every step. puppies need their beauty sleep...which is a lot. try to wear ur puppy out. if that fails u can always start "separation training". leave the room, come back in immediately. slowly increase the away duration time.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my