Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
Something Very Not Right with PAWS

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2007, 12:51 AM

Post #1 of 18 (50428 views)
Shortcut
Something Very Not Right with PAWS Can't Post

I went to visit PAWS weeks ago. The experience was really bad. No one answered my queries and questions when I started looking around. That's fine, I can understand sometimes non profit organization is lacking of workers. I looked around and had to decide which dog I want to adopt quickly since I couldn't get much help. I went into the office to check with the officer there. The answer I got was the dog is not ready for adoption yet. He needs to be neutered. Ok, I said I can wait. I asked roughly when it will be ready. The guy said "I'm not sure, it depends on doctor's schedule". "Then can I make booking? I can pay now to commit" I asked. The guy said "no, we don't take booking". Then I asked what can I do now. He said "you need to call in on and off to see whether the dog is ready". Then I asked again "how to make sure that I get the dog once it's ready?". The guy said "no guarantee, if someone comes on the day the dog is ready and he wants to adopt the dog, then it's too bad for you."

I went home and shared this experience with my friends. My friends ask me just forget about the adoption in PAWS as it's too much of trouble and a lot of certainties. It's just like dealing with a typical government department. Everything is not sure and unclear. The only thing I can do is to wait and call.

As a person not giving up easily, I called PAWS the following day to follow up. One guy answered the call and he said he didn't know anything about the schedule, arrangment etc. The manager was not in that day (it's a Tuesday). I have to call back again to check with the manager. I called again on Thursday (they closed on Wednesday and wouldn't take call) and again the manager was not around. So I have to call again.

I don't know why the adoption process can be so slow in PAWS. It's so troublesome to just want to adopt a dog. The best thing is one of the lady there told me that they kill 70 dogs (and cats I think) per week. Why can't they just expedite the process or at least give a potential adopter more information or certainties?

How many potential adopters will be so adamant to make calls, follow up, to adopt a dog? I'm not sure how many people like me to be turned away. Just like my friends suggested, go adopt somewhere or just go buy one. But I think the animals in PAWS have not been giving an equal chance.

Another thing that bothers my mind - when I first went into the center, I saw a nice Golden Retrieve was kept beside the office door. I asked one of the man there "what happen to this dog? Why he's placed here, separate from other dogs?". The guy replied "oh, it's my manager's personal dog." Before I could ask second question, he sneakily asked me "you want to buy or not? My manager wants to sell this dog, it's RM 800".

Is it right for the manager (or the worker who use manager's name) to sell his personal dog at the center? Or something fishy going on there?

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2007, 1:30 AM

Post #2 of 18 (50413 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JS Lew] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... My fren made a visit there recently to do some charity work. Yes the golden is there for sale for rm800 with cert and is having some behaviour problems if i am not wrong. And a concern he raise to me is the person there seems to be more keen on accepting cash rather than items like food and other stuff. Also they mention that they need computer even will need up till 6-8 pc. I am really wondering why the need for so many.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

chrisong
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2007, 6:18 AM

Post #3 of 18 (50401 views)
Shortcut

Who will buy the GR at RM800 whereas you can get RM800 for a GR puppy

Poor doggies at PAWS. With this kind of attitude the ppls there no wonder they kill more dog then the dog being adopted.

egretaus
Novice

Nov 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

Post #4 of 18 (50337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree with yours guys. i've been there quite long ago & its seems the things still the same. no change at all. so sympathy for the doggy that in the shelter. last time when i been there asking to adpot a pure breed puppies but they say not ready yet & ask for money first to make a booking.then i been there again on the nest day & they say all sold out. i wonder they've been adopt so fast in 1 day or been sold to some "dark shop"?Frown

samoteh
Novice

Nov 18, 2007, 9:26 PM

Post #5 of 18 (50261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [egretaus] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

I adopted a Lab from there before middle of this year and didnt have this problem. Guess i was lucky then. About 3 weeks back i went back wanting to adopt another one and this time a male GR behind who was just admitted there a few days back and was told that the GR is not ready for adoption yet and i also asked the same question, when and the answer was dont know and then i left without adopting the GR

lilfunky
Canine Addict

Nov 21, 2007, 7:16 PM

Post #6 of 18 (50202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes they "put-sleep" the doggies because to prevent them suffering from their sickness or they are too old. this what i get heard from them.
they allow booking actually, but they wont guarrentee that puppy will survive or not sometimes. the same thing happen last sunday i were thr.
Love them, they will love you
They Don't Talk Don't Meant They Wrong.

janthk
Canine Addict

Nov 23, 2007, 6:59 AM

Post #7 of 18 (50158 views)
Shortcut

I know the whole purpose of the thread is to enlighten the public of the difficulties you face dealing with the people in PAWS. I face the same thing when someone I know dumped her dog in PAWS just because she cannot wait two more days for me to come adopt her dog. But I really fell in love with the dog at first sight and was determined to get the dog out. When I called and spoke to the manager he wont allow me to adopt the dog as it is not "ready". But I was insistant and went to PAWS and had further discussions with him and kept insisting till he finally gave me a solution which was to call the owner and ask her to reclaim her dog. Luckily the previous owner was willing to come to PAWS and reclaim her dog and immediately handed the dog to me. I took the dog home and didn't regret it 1 bit till today. Ginger is such a loving dog and snuggles up to me everytime I go to bed. She is more like a daughter to me than anything else now.

So my point is, please dont let man made rules deter you from getting what you want. Just be patient and persue the matter. That dog which you wanted could end up being the best thing that has ever happenned to you and you might be saving his/her life.

The rules are put in place to protect the interest of the dog. Due to human inefficientcy or situation where there are just too many dogs, the process might be delayed. Just think of the dog and the life you might be saving. The innocent dog is not at fault so please dont deprive it from finding a good home with you.

Good luck and may you find a warm and loving dog like I have.

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2007, 8:07 AM

Post #8 of 18 (50153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [janthk] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Janthk,

Thanks for your message.

Finally I didn't adopt the dog I wanted. I got another dog instead from somewhere else. Sometimes the feeling for a dog is difficult to explain. You see the dog, you have this special love for him and you just want to bring him home and not knowing he's not ready for adoption....... Yes, I can always choose another one which is ready for adoption, but I feel sorry for the first dog. Even there is guilt if I don't try hard enough to get him out of there........Maybe just like your case, you could have just picked another dog and save all the trouble......But you didn't, you still insisted "the dog".

I felt very guilty towards the dog and maybe I could have handled the whole thing in a more mature way...

Anyway, this world is full of things we rather not know, I know it sounds passive....... (my friend had a few sleepless nights after the trip, kept recalling the whining of the dogs, maybe whining for their lives?)

janthk
Canine Addict

Nov 23, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #9 of 18 (50145 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lew,

I know what you mean. It is so sad to see so many homeless dogs there and yet powerless to do something to save them all. The world is cruel that way sometimes. It is just not fair that there are so many homeless innocent dogs who came into this world just to be put down again. But I guess we cant save the world. At least you know that you have tried and the intention was good. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

In my case, I think Ginger was just meant to be with me. I did fall in love with her at first sight and wanted to have her so bad. The whole story was I wanted her but was afraid of 2 things at the beginning. I already have a dog (medium size) and was not sure whether Ginger will get along with Scruffy (My first dog). My second fear was I live in an apartment and Ginger is a Dalmation mix so she is large. I was not sure how she would fare living in an apartment. I fought so hard for her that day at PAWS cause I wanted to take her out and bring her to my ex boss who said he wanted another dog. I was confident that my ex boss will definitely adopt her and at least if I cant have her I would have found a good home for her. She is such a loving dog so who could possibly not want her right?

But that was not to be the case. It seems that Ginger has already chosen me to be her owner too. I brought her to my ex boss's place and she played and had a good time there. My ex boss lives in a bungalow by the way so perfect for her with lotsa land space for her to run. However, she couldn't get along with my boss's dog. So my ex boss decides to think about it first and asked me to give him a week to make his decision whether he wants to adopt Ginger or not. So at that point I have no choice but to bring Ginger home because there was no way I was gonna return her to PAWS nor bring her back to her previous owner.

The moment she entered my apartment, she seemed to tone down and not as hyper as she was at my ex boss's place. She also got along super with my Scruffy. The two of them hit it off great. Before I knew it they were playing and even fell asleep next to each other. By the 2nd day, I was hooked. I was totally smitten with her and cant bear the idea that I might have to give her up to my ex boss.

So for the whole week, I was praying that he would say he didn't want her. And true enough when the end of the week came, he sought me out and told me that he cant have her cause she cant get along with his dog. That was the happiest day of my life and that's how Ginger became my beloved.

I believe destiny plays a big role in our lives too and Ginger's path was just meant to cross with mine. Maybe it is the same for you and your current dog. It is just meant to be yours and that's why you were not successful in adopting the other.

So what did you name your current dog? Wink

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 23, 2007, 8:17 PM

Post #10 of 18 (50123 views)
Shortcut

Hmmm...another sweet love story.......with a happy ending, of course. ...Janthk and Ginger, are together at last...one big happy family...Smile

(This post was edited by myzanordin on Nov 23, 2007, 8:18 PM)

janthk
Canine Addict

Nov 24, 2007, 9:09 PM

Post #11 of 18 (50081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Hahaha!! Yeah lah and she is hyper like nobody's business. I took her and my boy jungle trackking today. Ginger was so hyper and jumped around so much that her left leg got caught in between some branches. Then because of that she screamed and scared me. I thought some snake got her or something like that. Phew what a relief when I saw that it was just a branch. HehehehWink

That is today's story of the day lah. Heheheh!!

dove
Dog Kichi

Nov 30, 2007, 3:36 AM

Post #12 of 18 (49987 views)
Shortcut

yes.. a sweet story indeed bout jan n ginger !!

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2007, 6:50 PM

Post #13 of 18 (49955 views)
Shortcut

Hi Janthk,

Now I own 2 dogs (shared with my cousin, I pay all the bills and take care of them during weekend, my cousin do the rest during weekdays as now I'm working in Singapore, can only go back on weekend).

First one I named her "çæçæ'- the most beautiful lady in "¹¶¦¼Ç¡°¡£English translation is Keke. As she grows, she's very playful, naughty, and hyperactive........ Looks more like a tomboy rather than a "lady like" dog

The second one I named her as "ÖªÖª¡°- a very sensible name - means a lady with wisdom and sensibility.......because of her bad living condition in the past, she's constantly searching love and attention from us, seems like she already tasted all the bitterness and agony in life. All these have made her to become a very obedient and caring dog.......English translation is Jiji.

janthk
Canine Addict

Nov 30, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #14 of 18 (49941 views)
Shortcut

Wow! From 0 dogs to 2 dogs :) Good for you. Am glad you found 2 that perfect bond in two dogs and I can emphatize with what you feel as I have found my two perfect dogs as well. They are my soulmate. Hehehe!!

You have named your dogs very well. As for me, I just name my first Scruffy cause that's how he looks and it suits him well. He seems to like that name WinkWink. Ginger was names by the previous owner. I just maintained her name cause she already knows it by the time I adopted her. So I didnt want to confuse her. If not I would have named her Shera princess of power (named after He-man's mate) Ahahahaha!!!

So take good care of your dogs and may they have a forever home.

Pupsforme
Novice

Nov 29, 2009, 4:17 AM

Post #15 of 18 (40603 views)
Shortcut

It's a terrible place. The workers are so rude it's absolutely distasteful. Tried adopting a pup and they were so rude about it. Very condescending like they are too good for everyone. It's a shame because lots of pets there could have found great homes if the workers were just a bit nicer.

axon
New User

May 28, 2012, 9:17 AM

Post #16 of 18 (37834 views)
Shortcut

Yep, I agree. I went to Paws twice not too long ago.

Once was last yr, as we were looking for a guard dog. Saw 2 Rottweilers up for adoption. Asked the manager in the office , Edward ( recalled correctly ) and he gave me the same blunt answers. No ready, not neutered, not sure when , not sure if can be adopted. says wait for at least 2weeks...etc. So I called back after 10days and they say it was gone - adopted already.

Then early this year, we decided to try our luck and look around again, same man in office was not friendly, we asked about another Rottweiler we saw in the cage- if it was ready for adoption?

He replied - what's is the dog number? I don't remember all the dogs here!
Funny when It was the ONLY rottweiler in the cage, special section along with all other pedigrees. So we had to go out and look at the cage no and see what number it was. As usual, not neutered, not checked yet bla bla... & it cost Rm700.

Then we asked about the Dobberman next to it, who was pretty obedient after observing & intereacting with it ( it has been there for the longest time ) We asked if we can take it out and see, he told his staff to show us , they said No. Too fierce was the reason. So that was that.

I don't appreciate the attitude they protray to potential adopters, especially when we are there to help adopt a dog. Unfriendly and rude like we are wasting their time.

I've given up trying to adopt any dogs from them when they can't even give us a proper answer on potential dogs that we want.

On top of that, with Rm700, I can always get a new puppy, but I thought we are encouraged to help provide a home for these homeless.
How did this animal sanctuary end up being run by people who are so unfriendly?

(This post was edited by axon on May 28, 2012, 9:24 AM)

JS Lew
Enthusiast

May 28, 2012, 6:39 PM

Post #17 of 18 (37828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [axon] Something Very Not Right with PAWS [In reply to] Can't Post

Really feel sorry for the animals there - they are not given a fair chance to survive. Seems like things haven't improved since few years ago. I think it's from management down to workers - all got attitude problem.

Can someone do something about it?

chibichibi
New User

Jun 20, 2012, 6:31 AM

Post #18 of 18 (36695 views)
Shortcut

yes, something need to be done, but definitel yneed everyone's help on this:-
forum.lowyat.net/topic/2351567

tell your friends about this, make it a news to pressure the management. see you there.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my