Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog?

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 4, 2007, 5:46 AM

Post #1 of 21 (3154 views)
Shortcut
Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? Can't Post

hi there...

i curious bout something ya...
is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog... means lik after certain year cannot spay o neuter dog.. my dog going 2 yrs dy... is it still ok to neuter him?

2nd question, is it after 4 months can start spay puppy dy? i wanna spay my puppy... vet said, after 2nd injection can spay dy.. currently jus 1st injection and only 3 months old..

**** hammy...

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Nov 4, 2007, 5:47 AM)

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 4, 2007, 5:57 AM

Post #2 of 21 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

hammy, there is no age limit to neuter or spay a dog.

but new vet recommendation now is to spay or neuter your dog before the 1st heat, for females, this will reduce the risk of cancer, not guarantee won't get cancer, but the chance of getting cancer is less, and it is highly recommended to neuter/spay when the dog is young.
don't wait till old old baru go operation, is not safe when the dog is older.

so u dun need to rush to spay the pup yet, wait till after its last jab, and before the 1st heat.

ur 2yo dog, sure can neuter, jz ask the vet to give green light,check the health, all ok, then can go lor.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

hammy
Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2007, 6:04 AM

Post #3 of 21 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

oooooohhh.... thx thx thx... Frown

PSY
K9 Kaki

Nov 5, 2007, 7:04 AM

Post #4 of 21 (3132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hammy] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to add to supermutt's posting, you do not need to worry about weight issues unlike spaying after first heat.

hammy
Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2007, 7:06 AM

Post #5 of 21 (3131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

ohhh... my puppy very ringan only... thx for the info..

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 10:14 AM

Post #6 of 21 (3107 views)
Shortcut

Hi there!

Neutering a dog can be anytime but for a female dog, is a different story. Females can either be spayed before they have their first heat or after 2 years old to prevent any hormone complications. If I were you, I rather spay your female dog after 2 or before 5 years old. The reason why I say splay her after 2 is becoz, if you spay your dog very young now, her hips won't develop like my adopted Golden, Chloe. She was spayed by 5mths old & now she's 1 year 6mths. Her hips & breasts did not develop. She's got no shape & she's fat. No matter how little I feed her, she will never become slim becoz it's the hormones that is causing her to become fat. Oh yes, one more thing about spaying is that your dog has the possibility to get fat. Not all digs will but most will especially Goldens & Labradors. What dogs do you have?

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 10:17 AM

Post #7 of 21 (3106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hammy] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there!

Neutering a dog can be anytime but for a female dog, is a different story. Females can either be spayed before they have their first heat or after 2 years old to prevent any hormone complications. If I were you, I rather spay your female dog after 2 or before 5 years old. The reason why I say splay her after 2 is becoz, if you spay your dog very young now, her hips won't develop like my adopted Golden, Chloe. She was spayed by 5mths old & now she's 1 year 6mths. Her hips & breasts did not develop. She's got no shape & she's fat. No matter how little I feed her, she will never become slim becoz it's the hormones that is causing her to become fat. Oh yes, one more thing about spaying is that your dog has the possibility to get fat. Not all digs will but most will especially Goldens & Labradors. What dogs do you have?

hammy
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2007, 12:03 PM

Post #8 of 21 (3102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

after 2 yrs? ermm... really? i dowan fat roxy... donno her leg can tampung o not.... aiyoo.. she so kuat makan somemore... roxy is a veg dog.. real cute one.. hehe

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #9 of 21 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Yes, most vets will say after two years old or after the second heat. They say the bitches will have hormone probs like shedding & stuff...My Amber already has hormone probs so spaying her will cause more probs lah. But we will spay her after we breed her one time next year.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 6, 2007, 7:46 PM

Post #10 of 21 (3095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

i think vege dog no need to worry bout fat la,,, just keep the food under control .... very important, preventing cancer is more important than worrying about fat, fat all comes from food, it won't develop by it self.

yes some dog breed might be very prone to get fat, so need to exercise alot n' control d food intake.... just like human lor...

Don't Lost your dogs!!

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2007, 9:41 PM

Post #11 of 21 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Have to agree with Supermutt,

My female min. pin Brenda was sterlised when she was 6 mths old. She is now, a year, and still have that 'hour glass' shape...I don't think she is fat, cos, I have seen really fattttt min.pin (with no shape at all)..My male min. pin Basco was also fixed when he was 6 mths..a bit on the 'tembam' side cos he is greedy and loves to eat....apart from that, character wise...nothing to comment. Simply adorable ....

Its all bogged down to food intake and exercise...just like us...women who have their ovary and uterus removed.wld not get 'fat' if they control their diet.....

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2007, 3:25 AM

Post #12 of 21 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to disagree here. Food intake is mainly the cause why the dog is fat. Especially carbohydrates. My mix breed came to me 11 years ago. Can only see bones on her. Then she gave birth. That time I also dunno how old is she but she is definitely not young. After her puppies are big and we rehome them my mum has no time to take her for spaying an her heat came unexpectedly. Then she gave birth again. After that we quickly spay her once her pups are nearly 2 months old. Now she is a pig no longer a thin dog. She is picky on food and will only eat rice and chicken liver. Pellets and can food she will never eat. But she is still so fat. Now am starting to limit her food.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 7, 2007, 6:55 AM

Post #13 of 21 (3073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

yen, u feed her rice , right? that's y she is so fat,

rice has a lot of carb, simple carb, if u reduce the rice, substitute with vege puree which has very less carb and add bulk, put in lean meat, sure she can loose a bit weight,

for humans oso, those who wana loose weight, cut the carbs, the simple carbs, bread, rice, biskut all those kenot makan... sure can loose weight punya... i've read many nutrition and diet books dy...

know the nutrition content, that's very important.

white rice, just a cup, u can check the carb content, is so high.....

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Nov 7, 2007, 6:59 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 7, 2007, 9:20 AM

Post #14 of 21 (3065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Hehehe, like I said, not ALL dogs become fat. Same like neutering the male. Not all males will stop spraying & be calmer. Some practically become even more crazier & aggressive then before neutering. Oh believe me, met one before...It always depends on the female's metabolism. Some have higher & some have lower. Your mix breed has high metabolism.

The vet we just went to last Sunday actually told us, that some owners practically starve their dogs to loose weight but they just won't, becoz they are already spayed. My Chloe is almost being starved too by us becoz she's overweight! We only give two table spoons of dry food, some boiled veggies, few pieces of lamb meat & soup. For dinner, two tablespoons of dry food only. Poor thing you know but what to do? And STILL not loosing weight at all! My other unspayed Golden Amber is slim & I can feed her twice the amount & she will not put on weight that easily. But if I feed this amount to Chloe, sorry lah...Gone case!

So not all dogs will become fat. I've seen some dogs that are just nice, not skinny & most are HUGE! Being obese after spaying is very common towards Retrievers or any not so active dogs. But I've seen fat JRTs & they are super hyper! You can't tell...It all depends on their hormones & metabolism. That is why, I;'m afraid to spay my Amber becoz she is a dancing dog & she's got sooo much energy now. Don't want all of these to go away when she gets spayed. And if I don't spay her, there's a possibility of her getting cancer in her uterus & she's keep on getting false pregnancy after her heat.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Nov 7, 2007, 9:29 AM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2007, 2:24 PM

Post #15 of 21 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Ai yo.. pity chloe. True that hormones for every dog is different. I dunno how true is this la. Mu uncle's male shepherd was very thin for many years. No matter what he feed still thin some more eat twice a day and even eat rice. Then his friend recommended him to give 1 tablespoon of meat be it beef or pork or other meat. Eat for 1 month only the dog just fatten up.

Amber is now just the right size. Just be careful that she doesn't accidentally run out and mate. But even so there's some kind of injection which the vet can give to prevent it from being pregnant. Get her to

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 7, 2007, 5:28 PM

Post #16 of 21 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Q by hammy - is there any age limit where i cannot neuter my dog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yoyur uncle dog is lucky lah! At least he won't get fat very easily like Chloe...It's the same like humans. I have met some girls that eat & eat & eat but never get fat! And they are slim & have great bodies. But for me, one burger & that's it! They have very high metabolism. Everything also their body burn & they don't exercise you know...They are very lucky & I really admire their body. But my Chloe is not obese, she's just overweight. Sh just needs to loose two or three kgs before she can go for her 1st show. My mom & I don't want to inject Amber with anything if she does get accidentally pregnant or have false pregnancy coz the doctors tell us we are playing with her hormones & can cause probs. Last time, Amber kena raped by a mongrel dog who belonged to someone. They always let him loose, don't care about him. She didn't mind him humping her for a loooong time. My mom chase the bugger off & she thought, oh no, that's it! Coz it was her third week & she can get pregnant. She called the vet, got all panicky & they gave her two options. Injection to stop it or leave it & hope she does not get pregnant. My mo did not see any lock between the male dog & her. We just hoped & pray everyday & after 21days, she did not pregnant at all! We all were so relieved. Today, I don't see the mongrel dog anywhere anymore. I think kena tangkap by MPSJ. They come often to our area...Owners don't seem to bother.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2007, 6:19 PM

Post #17 of 21 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Lucky lucky My mix mongrel is definitely obeseee... Haha.. Hope one day got chance to meet up then you can see my piggy. Anyway your area there very prone to break ins cos i think there's a low cost flat around there with many foreginers staying there. As usual there's always irresponsible owners everywhere. Later a bit i email you. Tell you a story.. Haha.. Here not convenient to talk.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Nov 7, 2007, 9:03 PM

Post #18 of 21 (3046 views)
Shortcut

hey I want story too....now u found me on Yahoo!, send to me too...... Wink

Dont forget, I'm only entering my second year back home after MIA for 4yrs ok. So I also want to know all the lubang lubang story.....which is not published on thestar dot my which I faithfully surf every day while in US. Tongue

Email me too!!!!

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 8, 2007, 5:06 AM

Post #19 of 21 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Must see your girl one day...Yes, alot of foreigners like Bangladeshis, Indonesians & Vietnamese. Alot of dog napping & break ins happening in Puncak Jalil now. Recently, just down the road in my area, a well dressed man like businessman robbed an old lady holding a knife pointing at her face. It happened at broad daylight, 3pm. She was talking to her neighbor some more when it happened. They both are old ladies & could not do anything but shout for help. He threatened her so she could not scream. He robbed all the gold things she was wearing & her home. I tell ya, most burglaries, dog napping or whatever happen in broad daylight more then night...We are very cautious nowadays when we bring our dogs out everyday. Many passersby especially the construction workers stand & stare at our dogs. I don't like it when they do that so I stare back until they walk off. I'm not scared...Actually, the funny thing is that, we have to protect our dogs not our dogs protect us. I never feel safe when we walk out with our dogs coz they are hopeless & can't fight back. But if I walk with a black Dobermann or Rottweiller, I feel very safe coz just one look at them & they get scared.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 8, 2007, 7:51 AM

Post #20 of 21 (3027 views)
Shortcut

just hope that you will consider spaying amber soon, cos everytime she has false pregnancy, the chances are higher to develop pyometra... and u can't tell at all if she has signs of pyometra until the last moment where it is quite critical, and also, if she is old and dev pyometra.... the surgery for her is also risky....

my female mutt was spayed at last, at 9 years, after so many false pregnancy.... i did not purposely delayed the spaying, just that i was afraid that she might have problems during the surgery, i don't know about the availability of gas anesthesia for animals back then. i was scared, cos the last time i sent a cat for spaying... it didn't wake up...
and i don't know anything about pyometra back then as well...
which is very common in unspayed never pregnant females,,,,,,

take a look at these links, and please consider.....

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/pyometra.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra

******* an excerpt********

".....Shall we put one common myth to rest right now? Here goes...
Spaying a dog or cat does not make her become overweight and lazy.

Thirty-one years of practicing small animal medicine and surgery have convinced me that healthy dogs and cats become overweight from either insufficient exercise or consuming too many calories. Unless your pet is sneaking into the fridge at night and making it's own ham and cheese sandwiches, you the owner are responsible for what and how much your dog eats. Lots of unspayed dogs and cats are overweight too, so don't blame the weight gain on the surgery!

You'd be surprised how many dogs (especially Golden Retrievers) are hypothyroid. This condition almost always leads to weight gain. Cushings Disease, a hormonal problem associated with the adrenal cortex, may predispose a pet to gain weight. Weight problems should always prompt a thorough evaluation by your veterinarian. If you choose not to spay your dog or cat, be on the alert for pyometra. It can be dangerous...."

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Nov 8, 2007, 8:02 AM)

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 8, 2007, 11:16 PM

Post #21 of 21 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Hi supermutts!

Ohhh definitely we will spay her but not now. We're not going to spay her at 9 years of age. The doctor already said that females can go on without spaying till 5 years the maximum.

I'm very worried too when she keeps on having false pregnancies coz I think there'll might be a chance of her getting breast cancer like us humans. I'm not sure if they do lah but usually breasts cancer occurs when human mothers have babies coz that's when they have milk.

We're gonna breed Amber 1 time first next year then only after her babies are sold off, we will spay her. We're trying our best to hold it on longer coz I'm scared she will put on weight altho the this expert below here said no. So many people & doctors have different opinions. Who am I to believe now? I still believe that after spaying, not so active dogs can put on weight. I'm also scared that after spaying ti will slow Amber down... I'm not gonna risk this just to spay her.

I know she won't put on a LOT of weight but I just want her to remain slim. Hey, all three of my dogs get lots of exercise everyday. They're constantly on the go from morning to night... Bring them to the playground everyday. Go for long walks twice a day, they eat very little, training every Sunday. Why is my Chloe still fat? That's a LOT of exercise in one day... Her weight is still maintaining. Not going down not going higher. Just stuck at 30-31 kgs.

We will be spaying faith 1st coz she won't be breeding. There's no market for Dalmatians anyway so there's no point. We are also very worried of her putting on weight. She's got a nice lean body & LOTS of energy to burn.

We are always at home 24/7 & we're always watching over our dogs. So there's no need to worry...But thanks anyway for informing me about pyometra. We'll always be on a look out.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my