Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
Suggestions about Early Rehoming

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007, 2:00 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7521 views)
Shortcut
Suggestions about Early Rehoming Can't Post

By policy, PAWS will not adopt out an animal out unless it has received its vaccinations and has been neutered. This year, PAWS decided to pilot a Early Rehoming programme but so far take up is slow. It seems that the shelter might be stuck in a 'do also cannot, don't do also cannot' situation.

'Potential' adoptors come in and complain when they leave empty handed - thinking that PAWS is a full service pet shop. Actually a number of people have also come in and demanded that their selected animal be allowed to jump queue and get the snip first so that they can go home earlier, again thinking that PAWS is a full service pet shop... If you hear the excuses given, I guess some are actually quite valid, but is it fair on all the animals? And is it fair that staff is expected to bend rules and change the schedule because these people demand for it? I volunteer at PAWS about once a week now, and I would say that its not. Maybe the shelter should completely scrap the programme. I always tell these potential adopters to wait. No booking either, as folks can book but never show up to collect the animal. Seen some people rant and rave in anger since thier demands cannot be accommodated - Alamak!.

So if there was such demand for early rehoming (jump queue)... why aren't these potential adopters willing to prepay for the full cost vaccinations and neuter under the Early Rehoming Programme and then by appointment come in for the scheduled snip? Too expensive lah... Hey RM 350 is not expensive when you consider the cost of taking your own animal to a private vet for its shots and the snip. But still people complain.

Standard Adoption Rates are so low (Adults at RM50, and Puppies at RM80), just wait-lah. Else if folks want to jump queue and want to take the animal home immediately, follow the rules and pay the real cost of pet ownership. I dun know what the problem is... and as always people still complain.

Maybe folks here can give some suggestions. Who knows ... it might be the solution that PAWS need.

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2007, 1:36 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7495 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Suggestions about Early Rehoming [In reply to] Can't Post

I think every time you turn a potential adoptor away, a dog misses his chance (it might be his only chance) to get a new home.

Just imagine, a potential adoptor has to call, follow up, and come in another time to get the dog he selected. And the answers given by the workers there are always "not sure", "don't know when", "call to check lah", "wait lah".......... and not necessary the potential adoptor will get the dog they want after all the hard work because someone will just come "in the right time" to adopt the dog since there is no booking or whatsoever....

Everything just like dealing with government department - who in Malaysia like to deal with government department if they had a choice? What make you think that people will be so "adamant" or "persistent" to adopt a dog from PAWS if the whole process is so troublesome? Most likely a potential adoptor will just give up or adopt or buy somewhere else.

When you said "bent the rule" and "jump queue" - I am still not sure what you mean. I think it's ok to give the priority to the selected dog.....if a dog is not selected by anyone, even you neuter him first, he still won't go out first right?

Regarding the 350 early re-homing fees....... maybe it's not expensive to you, but surely it will stop people from adopting.......... People get into the situation "want to adopt also so troublesome and slow, want faster need to pay 350.........aiya, just give up lah"........

If you have to kill 70 dogs every week, I think you better let the dogs be adopted and dont' talk about all the red tapes and funny practices.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2007, 7:36 AM

Post #3 of 9 (7474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JS Lew] Suggestions about Early Rehoming [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi jslew,

I can only agree to some parts of your message here. RM350 for adoption is not really expensive considering the vaccinations and spaying that they do for the dog. It's almost the same price as taking them outside to private vets. But if you dun feel comfortable taking from them then you can look for me or other private rescuers. Am sure they have a lot of dogs which you can choose from. I have about 8 ready for adoption please call me if you want to view them.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

mbless
K9 Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 8:09 AM

Post #4 of 9 (7471 views)
Shortcut

Can you please call me regarding the dog you are interested to adopt in PAWS ... 012 5175322.

It would be best if adopters can choose dogs that are ready to go home ( already desexed and vacinated ) coz they have been desexed quite a while and sitting there a long time comparing to those not yet desex. I understand that adopters have certain preferance but if you go there to give the dogs a chance of finding homes, please look beyond their looks. I can recommend you many that have waited sooo long there and are very good dogs.

Dogs that are not ready means they have just been surrendered. it takes a while to get them neut coz u need to see their temperament, their health etc. there is only 1 vet in PAWS doing the neut.

Please consider any amount you pay for adoption as a donation.

Please dont bother about ppl's attitude but just focus on helping the dogs if your aim is to go give a homeless dog a home. In any organization, there are weird and rude ppl, but if you work hands on with them, they seem far from weird and rude. Important is your AIM is achieve. The rest doesnt matter. At the end of the day, its your dog and I can tell you, we will be so grateful to you if you care and love the dog well till the end of its life... more so the dog.

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2007, 8:09 AM

Post #5 of 9 (7471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Suggestions about Early Rehoming [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact I don't think 350 is expensive, like you said, considering the vac and spay they do for the dog. But the way they put it is not very nice. For normal process they make you wait..........and a lot of uncertainties. Like bringing you around and make big round for you. Then when you can't stand it, they come to tell you "you want faster also can, just pay extra 350..............." Just like you need to pay "under table money" to expedite your application.

I hope I was wrong about this but that's the feeling and impression I and my friend got. Things can be very different if their attitude was good from the very begining. I'm not trying to compare here but SPCA does a much better job in this area. At least they make the adoption process very simple and fast. Even the dog is not ready for adoption on that day itself, you can make payment and come collect your dog on certain date. And they never asked for "extra payment" - (you can term it nicely like early re-homing fee or whatsoever).

I will ask my friend to call you if she still wants to adopt a dog. After going through all the hassle with PAWS, she has decided not to adopt one for the time being. She's happy with her only dog at home now (she got a big compound which is able to keep one more dog).

mbless
K9 Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 8:14 AM

Post #6 of 9 (7471 views)
Shortcut

Can you please call me regarding the dog you are interested to adopt in PAWS ... 012 5175322.

It would be best if adopters can choose dogs that are ready to go home ( already desexed and vacinated ) coz they have been desexed quite a while and sitting there a long time comparing to those not yet desex. I understand that adopters have certain preferance but if you go there to give the dogs a chance of finding homes, please look beyond their looks. I can recommend you many that have waited sooo long there and are very good dogs.

Dogs that are not ready means they have just been surrendered. it takes a while to get them neut coz u need to see their temperament, their health etc. there is only 1 vet in PAWS doing the neut.

Please consider any amount you pay for adoption as a donation.

Please dont bother about ppl's attitude but just focus on helping the dogs if your aim is to go give a homeless dog a home. In any organization, there are weird and rude ppl, but if you work hands on with them, they seem far from weird and rude. Important is your AIM is achieve. The rest doesnt matter. At the end of the day, its your dog and I can tell you, we will be so grateful to you if you care and love the dog well till the end of its life... more so the dog.

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2007, 5:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mbless] Suggestions about Early Rehoming [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi mbless, I hope there will be more people like you helping in PAWS. With the explanation you gave here, people can understand and accept the logic behind.

In fact I told my friend exactly the same thing - any payment you make to PAWS please view it as a donation - (my friend answered : it's not a problem to donate but I don't want my donation goes to wrong hand as their attidute is so poor).

Also we have no problem to wait but everything is "not sure", "don't know", "wait lah"............ How to wait like that?

What I'm trying to say here is the "attitude" and aslo the "impression (ineffective, red tape, etc)" that you project to people. If there is no trust, people are hesistate to lend a hand.

Before we can change the mentality of the public (I 100% agree with you that we should look beyond the appearance of a dog if we really want to help the dogs) which I think it takes time and more difficult, shouldn't PAWS change their attitude or mentality first?

Cynhor in her comments said "normal adoption fee is so low, just wait lah" - I think this is typical government attitude - you have to wait and shouldn't complain since the fee is low - can't the adoption fee be low yet the process is fast? If PAWS has this attitude - "we don't charge much, it's ok for people to wait as long as they want" then I can imagine it will turn people away.

Subsequently she said " why don't these potential adopters pay the extra 350 if they want to get the dog earlier? So cheap and people still complain" - Another typical attitude problem - you need to pay more to expedite the process. she should go and find out why people complain. Maybe it's something wrong with the explanation, execution, etc. Or people (the target group) who come to PAWS or SPCA are not ready to pay the extra 350 for a faster process? Again you can say 350 is not expensive but you need to understand who your target group are.

Cynhor told me on my face "we are not going to bent our rule for your personal benefit!" I asked her "what benefit do I get?". She said "that you can adopt a dog earlier" I was speechless when I heard this because isn't that what PAWS wants to achieve also - to let dogs get home as soon as possible? And I didn't ask her to "bent rule" for me, I just asked her to look at the whole process if there are ways to imrpove. If every comment or opinion given by public is deemed to have personal interest, how lah PAWS want to improve?

Anyway, this is only my opinion after the experience I had we PAWS. I hope we can achieve a win-win-win situation here - win for PAWS, win for the animals and also win for potential adopters............. To me, it really deosn't matter if I adopt a dog from private rescuer, PAWS, SPCA, or whatsoever. But I think the animals in PAWS need to be given a fair chance.

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2007, 1:59 AM

Post #8 of 9 (7416 views)
Shortcut

Ah, now I remember you. That gentleman that came to PAWS but ended up insisting that PAWS change their policies to accommodate 'people with good intentions' like him. Not willing to take any of the already neutered animals, he had his heart set on one which is not ready (unneutered), and was informed so. But ...Yet he insisted (this was apparently his second visit) that in order to save that single animal, PAWS should drop its schedules and routine and simply expedite the animal for him (perhaps to save him yet another trip).

I made a note that it was strange how his friends all move away to the entrance waiting to leave, as soon as he started to argue his point. And every 'No' I said ...came back with insistance that PAWS makes allowances for people like him, make it easier for people like him. Sorry mate, you will have to pick up a number and wait in like just like the rest of us. Even members and volunteers wait, they come back to visit often, and 4-6 weeks later, that animal might be ready to go home. All animals are equal, some like to think they are more equal than others.

Yes, PAWS does have lots of rules and it is run like a govt agency. Better a govt agency that follow the rules than one that bends with the whims and fancy of a few. Most of these rules were set up by the volunteers themselves over the years, and they make good sense. And FYI, PAWS was founded by volunteers two decades ago, maybe if you are so intent on changing policies, you should roll up your sleeves and clean dog shit. Want to change policy, come on and join volunteers clean and feed, to pick up injured animals from the street, to nurse the newborns without mothers, and become part of the society of volunteers who walk the talk. Then propose and implement those changes you so much want.

Very easy to rant and rave. Ah, yes by protocol.. there are also official complain and feedback forms at the office. You will need to fill up one of these if you want to change policy.

Like I said...You came across as someone who just wanted a cheap puppy and wanted to negotiate with me for early release without paying the actual cost of spay and vaccination. Very sorry, but your body language said it all.

JS Lew
Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2007, 4:07 AM

Post #9 of 9 (7414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Suggestions about Early Rehoming [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know why my friends all moved away to the entrance waiting to leave, as soon as I started to argue with you? If you still remembered how we started the conversation - my friend asked me to go talk to you, hopefully you will be nice enough to give us more information, I didn't say I want to take the dog right away, what I need is some useful information (e.g. when, the schedule, etc....I didn't get any useful information after few follow up calls and even second trip). At the very begining, somehow I did mention something about SPCA........ You suddenly sounded so sour and immature: SPCA just got a 100k donation from HSBC but we don't!". As soon as my friend listened to this statement came out from your mouth, she knew there is no point talking to you as your mind is not open. I think I should admire her to be so sharp to understand you from the very begining.

What's wrong with SPCA getting donation and you don't? Why did you have to feel sour? You have to be passive and even more stubborn because people get donation and you don't? Have you ever thought of what good jobs people have done and you haven't for the donation?

The only two words that my friend can think of to describe you is "self-righteous" and "self-edifying" - you probably feel very proud of yourself because you think you are doing a lot of good things to the dogs (you mentioned them all again in your message), but in fact you are not. I do respect the time you spent in the organization but you probably don't realize that you have killed more dogs than saving them.

As I said, I do respect those volunteers who commit their time to do some good things to the dogs - just like you perhaps, roll up your sleeves and clean dog shit, bathe and feed them......... But doesn't mean that who can do a good job in these areas (cleaning shits and such) posses the necessary managment skills, broad mind, PR, communication skills to run a organization in a effective and professional way. You are one of the good example. You are properly good at cleaning shits and doing all the dog sitting jobs ----just stay where you good at and don't ruin an organization.

If your logic works, then our countries' policy makers should be those who sweep the streets and clean the toilets? Maybe all ministers have to roll their sleeves to sweep some streets before can become a minister? And people in this country cannot voice out their opinon before they do some charity work? If some rules have been there for more than decades and no longer fit the current trend, don't you think it's time to change for better? (Our ISA still exists because there are people like you)

If I was like what you described - want the dog be released right away, bend the rule for me, I would have quarrelled with the people in PAWS the first time I visit, and maybe on the phone after so many "don't know", "not sure", "wait", and "call again".

Cynthia Hor........ I surely can remember your name - remembered I asked for your name at the end and you practically shout at me aloud and said "I'm Cynthia Hor, I'm the scretary and also the committe here!" I know you are holding a high post in PAWS but you don't have to tell me. People gain respect from others for who they are, not because of the title or position they hold. Maybe you just wanted to tell me that PAWS is your empire and I shouldn't go and tell you any comments and opinion?

Even now you still sounded so bossy, arrogant, and "government" in your message - with the wording you used "Sorry mate, you have to....." "negotiate with me" etc........... Again, you think PAWS is your empire........

But I have so salute you, you are the first volunteer whom I quarrel with - I usually pay a lot of respect to these people.

Maybe I should have read all the thread here before talking to you - I read some replies by you when poeple complained about the poor attitude of the manager, you sounded so defensive and childist " maybe we should hire two clowns at the reception to say "yes sir, yes madam........" Attitude problem.

And I know I shouldn't reply this because I'm sure you can't take any comments.............and you will start another fire with funny theory.........which is your another forte besides cleaning shits............

As I mentioned in my other thread, it doesn't matter if I adopt a dog from PAWS, SPCA, private recuer........... And I guess it also doesn't matter to you if a dog is adopted out from PAWS, there won't be any different for you to kill 70 or 700 dogs per week.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my