Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Jumping on owner

myHIRO
New User

Nov 2, 2007, 12:51 AM

Post #1 of 14 (3399 views)
Shortcut
Jumping on owner Can't Post

My golden retriever will jump exitedly on me everytime i reach home . Is that a bad behaviour? Maybe he's happy when i'm home but sometines when i'm dressed up, kinda worrying that he'll put some prints on me , if you know what i mean....

Cheers!

Jac&Ning
Novice

Nov 2, 2007, 6:20 PM

Post #2 of 14 (3384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myHIRO] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

my yorkies will jump on too although they r small but they jump excitedly like mad dogs

sigh!! don't know how to train them not to do thatUnimpressed

bakamono
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2007, 8:24 PM

Post #3 of 14 (3374 views)
Shortcut

My lab used to do the same thing when she was young. Read a lot about many methods to stop her from doing it but this is the one I like the best n it works : whenever he starts jumping, cross your arm in front of u n turn yr back to him. Do not hv eye contact until he stops, eventually he'll understands that it's not proper. Tell u a secret, dog hates it when u ignore them.

Regards

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 2, 2007, 10:39 PM

Post #4 of 14 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

what if they like to sniff the backside?No joke, my Pluto love to do that. Worst thing, he will put his head under my skirt ..and sniff my buntut..hamsap lor...Blush ....

Thank god, he only do that to me and my partner. If not, malu nyerr...Pirate

Jac&Ning
Novice

Nov 2, 2007, 10:46 PM

Post #5 of 14 (3367 views)
Shortcut

I think this one should works. Now i recall...becos i used to sit down and let them jump on my lap everytime i came home so i think they expect i'll do the same therefore jumping like mad dog.

I'll start to use your method from now on, thanks.

Jess_lee

Nov 2, 2007, 11:21 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly the problem I'm facing now. He will not do it often, once a while, especially I'm wearing skirt. I really feel irritated, always yelled NO! when he sniffs. He'll stop but will forget the next dayUnsure

bakamono
Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2007, 11:43 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

backside or frontside, they like to do it (most of the time). V might think that it's hamsap but to them, it's their way in finding out where have v been n who v come across during their absent. Whatever it is, just don't react n once they r satisfy wz their finding, they'll be busy off wz more interesting thing. Hv u seen doggies smelling each other private part whenever they first meet? It's their way of finding out 'who r u?' and 'where r u from?' Easy to say but I myself feel very uncomfortable whenever they do it to me tho'.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 2, 2007, 11:52 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3349 views)
Shortcut

ahhh.. figures. SO, there's nothing wrong with my Pluto. He is merely investigating...Shocked

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007, 4:22 AM

Post #9 of 14 (3327 views)
Shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJaZkJzVAbo

watch this video, it does work for my boy and my niece ckc
Shekel

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Nov 4, 2007, 11:06 AM

Post #10 of 14 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Oh, I know this is a very bad behaviour but I allow my dogs to do that to me coz I really love them alot & miss seeing them after a long day out without them.

If I were you, it's okay lah...Your dog just misses you alot but sometimes you are dressed up & don't want her/him to mess up your clothes. I understand...Just push her/him away gently & give her/him a firm "NOOO!" When all her/his feet are on the ground, praise her, give her/him a hug & let her/him give you one big sloppy kiss!

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2007, 1:35 AM

Post #11 of 14 (3175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

i read one of an article about dogs it said when you come back from home your beloved dog will keep jumping on you greeting you that i miss you! i love you! after reading that when i go home i'll hug my boy saying that i miss you too and mommy will love you tooo. even though my boy no more jumping on me he'll put up his paw on me and bite my skirt asking me to sayang him. i have to train him not to jump on me is bcos i'm pregnant. so i'm happy that he listen.
Shekel

zephyros
Canine Addict

Nov 13, 2007, 6:03 PM

Post #12 of 14 (3164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shekel] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

hehe yea sometimes jumping and greeting us is nice and happy, but if you weight the pros and cons, i'd rather him greet me with a paw or a good sit and look at me. accidents happen, and when it does we'll usually scold the dog instead of, "hey, it's my fault cause i always let him jump on me".

shekel
Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2007, 10:39 PM

Post #13 of 14 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] Jumping on owner [In reply to] Can't Post

ya is true... that's why i learn the trick in youtube which i post up there. My boy will only jump on me if he don't see me for daysWink. i'll calm him down pointing my fingger on him and say no jump jump, sit mommy sayang then he'll try to stay calmly and let me sayang and cuddle himTongue
Shekel

FLK

Nov 27, 2007, 8:18 PM

Post #14 of 14 (3031 views)
Shortcut

For dog's bad behavior, you can actually buy a book from any of the bookshop then you will have some ideas of how to teach your dog well or you can send your dog to the training class.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my