Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Dog with skin problem

KSLAW
Novice

May 28, 2003, 8:04 AM

Post #1 of 15 (3329 views)
Shortcut
Dog with skin problem Can't Post

Help help my lab have this funny white patches without hair on his body,and have gone to alot of vet but no help at all any of u face the same problem before pls tell me if do so and any good vet to introduce pls let me know okUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 28, 2003, 5:05 PM

Post #2 of 15 (3319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KSLAW] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi KSLAW, Smile

What exactly did all the vets tell u? I'm sure some of them might have given u some explanation to that or some remedy for it.

But on your side, you could start getting clues by asking: What kind of shampoo r u using? What kind of food does he eat? Where does he sleep - is it a damp area?

You could also check with the breeder to see if the parents have the same problem. Smile

wkser
ALPHA

May 29, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #3 of 15 (3312 views)
Shortcut

hi,

what michelle said is truth,Nous had a skin problem last year actually is due to his kibbles,adter visited the vet for few time he is fully recover now...WinkSmile

regards

kangser and nous

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

May 29, 2003, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 15 (3304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

it sounds like mange to me. i went through these stages with my pug when she was 5 months old. early symptoms of mange includes losing hair and revealing patches of skin underneath. at that point, your pup will look a bit moth-eaten. according too books: for small puppies, it will probably heal on its own. but my little sidnee was no so lucky. she was treated wrongly and got secondary bacterial infection. then it got worse and the skin turned black!Frown is it getting better/worse?

KSLAW
Novice

May 30, 2003, 8:53 AM

Post #5 of 15 (3288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

THAnks for the advice but, most of the remedy don't seem to work u see is is not mange but it hurt alot too see him scratch alot and it seem that is soooooo itchi any good vet????CrazyCrazy

KSLAW
Novice

May 30, 2003, 8:55 AM

Post #6 of 15 (3287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

any good vets

KSLAW
Novice

May 30, 2003, 8:57 AM

Post #7 of 15 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wlaiwan] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

getting worse anygood vets

ginl
ALPHA

May 30, 2003, 5:19 PM

Post #8 of 15 (3281 views)
Shortcut

I'm not sure if you wanna try this out but it worked for my dog when he started scratching non stop and hair started falling off real bad....it's a home remedy.....buy some lemon about 5 to 10 depending on the size of your dog, slice them up in very thin layers, add some water, slow boil for about 20 mins....then if u hv container keep the juice and the pulp in a closed bottle/container for a few days....there is some moulding process going on during storage which is suppose to be helpful....use the lemon tonic to apply on your dog everyday.....do not rinse your dog with water after application....leave the dog to dry by iteself....if you hv Lavender oil then it's even better, drop about 2 to 3 drops to the tonic before application. I did this for about a mth and his hair grew back to normal....u shd be able to see some results in a week's time. Smile

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

May 30, 2003, 5:38 PM

Post #9 of 15 (3280 views)
Shortcut

hi Law,

Well, the vet I go to now is pretty good...but for a specific vet who's good with skin problems, I'm not sure. If you want to give my vet a try, please email me at mich_wonghl@hotmail.com and I'll give u the address of the place. It's in Sunway Damansara, btw, near the new Tesco. Smile

Poor thing. Frown Maybe you can also try out Gina's suggestion?

sweeeng
ALPHA

May 30, 2003, 5:57 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Hi KS Law,

My first lab use to have tis same prob too. The vet jes keep telling me it's skin problem. Everytime giving me same medication but no improvement.

After that I decided to do everything myself. So now I'm giving her Nutro Lamb and Rice Dry Food, cod Liver Oil, In Diet Supplement and some garlic.

A lot of improvement has been seen. Maybe you can try it...

Regards,
Swee Eng

p/s ... do bath ur dog at least twice a week too.

Riccaval
ALPHA

May 30, 2003, 8:02 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHi Gina,
Read this somewhere b4 but have not tried it. It also act as a flea repellant.
Should worth a try for doggies with stubborn skin problem. ThanksCool

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

May 30, 2003, 11:34 PM

Post #12 of 15 (3260 views)
Shortcut

In my case, Sidnee was misdiagnosed the first time even though a skin scraping had been done. When I got a second opinion (from a different clinic) I saw with my two eyes those demodex mites from a skin scraping - so i am convinced it is mange in Sidnee's case. You can try the lemon tonic approach suggested earlier, I am also doing that on Sidnee on a weekly basis. But in my opinion it is useful for mild cases or for prevention. Mange on its own may not be itchy - it is bacterial infection that will cause your dog to itch until it breaks your heart to see the sight.

If you would like to try the vet I bring Sidnee to, you can email me at wlaiwan@time.net.my. Also, I think it is important to keep your dog supplemented so the immune system is not compromised. If you rule out food then there may be some underlying problems.

Err.. you mentioned about white patches of skin, may I know on which part of the body?

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

May 30, 2003, 11:40 PM

Post #13 of 15 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Another thing... after going through what I had with Sidnee, I truly believe there is NO HARM in trying HOLISTIC approaches. I don't like using those harsh drugs on my poor pup. Since I changed to holistic approaches and stopped those drugs, my pup was so much happier and she is eating more. Blush

ginl
ALPHA

May 31, 2003, 10:55 AM

Post #14 of 15 (3254 views)
Shortcut

Hi Derrick and wlaiwan....Biscuit had mange too and yah i am so thru with harsh chemical approach that is why i adopted the more natural holistic approach and did the lemon tonic thingy and it worked....using the conventional harsh dip will work too but if a natural approach can be used (although it'll take a longer time) why use the harsh approach right? That being said, if a dog is having skin problems, using dips or any tonic will only help and soothe the external part ie. the skin....what we really need to do is tackle the problem frm the inside, and that is changing the dog's diet, building up the immune system and getting rid of the excess toxin in the body....if it's an allergy then the main cause of allergy shd be determined, although this is a very hard thing to do at times, you need to really observe carefully what exactly is causing the dog to itch so much....ohh Biscuit is not totally itch free but at least he is much more better than before and i can certainly see improvements in his skin Smile

wlaiwan
Dog Kichi

May 31, 2003, 5:10 PM

Post #15 of 15 (3252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Dog with skin problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Exactly..i agree with you satu ratus %. Can you imagine: having to rub ourselves with potentially fatal solution, all over our body! Of course it will kill the mites - it can also get into our blood stream and kill us. These days, I still keep an eye on the food I feed Sidnee. I dare not say she's totally cured but at least, it under control.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my