Home: Behavioral Problems: Aggresive Dogs and Puppies:
puppy hurts my dog

kelly281978
New User

Oct 30, 2007, 1:56 PM

Post #1 of 3 (10706 views)
Shortcut
puppy hurts my dog Can't Post

Hi I have a 2 year old pointer who was pining for his friend so i got a rhodesian ridgeback bitch who is now 11 weeks old.The problem is that she the puppy is really hurting him.Drawing blood and making him cry.She does stop when i tell her "no" but i am worried that she will get worse as he is not putting her in her place.He is not afraid of her and they are very close they sleep cuddled up and drink, eat together politely.They share toys without aggression but she started playing very rough and now she bullies him and tries to take whatever she wants.Is it her age and will he put her in her place or is a bitch dominant.

If he is running or playing ball with me she locks her teeth into his back leg or base of tail or throat.I do not allow her to do this.Any advice please.

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Dec 8, 2007, 11:48 PM

Post #2 of 3 (10663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelly281978] puppy hurts my dog [In reply to] Can't Post

She's behaving like that is becoz your pointer is smaller & weaker. She knows she can bully him & do whatever with him, he never fights back does he? She is also bigger & doesn't know her strength, what hurts & what doesn't. My Golden locks her teeth on my other Golden's back, ear & face too but they're just playing. One is bigger than the other. I don't worry about them becoz they love each other & are only playing, not fighting. My Golden doesn't bite until there's blood coming out too... You will just need to tell her to be 'gentle'. If she's not, then you will need to raise your voice & scold her. You must teach her to be gentle. Does your Pointer yelp? Actually if I were you, I'd let them be. After awhile, your Pointer will be fedup of her that one day he will teach her a lesson.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 9, 2008, 12:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (9483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kelly281978] puppy hurts my dog [In reply to] Can't Post

agree with amber somewhat. but since ur pointer is smaller, it's best to keep them both supervised during play time at all times. accidents will happen. was your pup taken from it's mom at an early age? this usually happens if this is the case. they have not learnt the "good-play-mate" rules of life lol so either you or the pointer have to learn.

my maltese plays well with my pap but occasional "YAPS" will happen. when it does, my maltese usualyl stops and runs to the corner as he knows i'm coming. he's learning, but sometimes they get too excited and plays really rough.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my