Home: Dog Rescue and Adoption: PAWS:
Dog Compound - Renovations

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007, 12:24 AM

Post #1 of 12 (6297 views)
Shortcut
Dog Compound - Renovations Can't Post

Some really nice people pooled together some funds and made it possible for PAWS to rebuild the four dog enclosures. It looks great and now visitors have viewing access to the male dog compound (hopefully, more male adults will be adoped). The receiving/quarantine area can now be moved to the back and closer to the clinic.

Then a group of university students came in with paint and brushes. They spent a full day painting those new enclosures.

A few items to check off from the PAWS Sept wishlist. The kind gesture of all those involved should be mentioned. PAWS stands tall because there are great people out there silently helping out.

It is so easy to be critical and judgemental, but those who really care roll their sleeves up and help make things better for the animals.

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 2:38 AM

Post #2 of 12 (6277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Dog Compound - Renovations [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear that there are people helping out at PAWS... well, i'm moving over to Subang soon and would like to help out there as well...

However, there is this one thing i want to clarify.. from the post in the website... it states:

We welcome volunteers at any time during OPENING TIMES:
Monday - Friday: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Except Wednesday: CLOSED for maintenance/training/etc.
Saturday - Sunday: 9.00am - 4.00pm

As for me, the earliest i would be free on weekdays is 6pm and on weekdays i'm also mostly bz with other works...

Therefore i would just like to inquire if the times posted are the only time that volunteers can go and help??

Hope to be of some help if time permits...

A dog is a man's most loyal friend.

fartu
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2007, 2:44 AM

Post #3 of 12 (6272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [khengteik] Dog Compound - Renovations [In reply to] Can't Post

wednesday: Closed For Killing of Dogs. u should insist visitation on Wednesday.

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 2:51 AM

Post #4 of 12 (6270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fartu] Dog Compound - Renovations [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... well if thats true,... why not... :)

Cynhor
Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2007, 3:59 AM

Post #5 of 12 (6263 views)
Shortcut

Well like all establishments, there are proper opening hours. I think PAWS started the Wednesday "closed to the public" day to allow its trusted volunteers to work with the animals, and get the jet cleaning work done (They actually use a power cleaner and scrubbing brushes out).

And the last time I went in on Wednesday, there was a nice white lady who had let all the dogs out for a run - one compound after another. She was a volunteer who had been there for a while. Kudos to her. Its great for the animals to have a free run and lots of treats when there are no public visitors about. They are normally kept in the pens because we have visitors from all faiths and backgrounds... and some do NOT appreciate free running dogs.

And it does trouble me to hear folks here actually think PAWS put down animals only on Wednesday. Again, as far as I know...animals are put down any day, regardless of whether there are visitors or not. I cannot imagine a poor animal with a broken back or open wound having to wait until Wednesday. I hope that its done quickly and painlessly, and as required. If anything the health and well being of the entire 400 plus animals must remain paramount. I was there quite regularly a few years back, and it is terrible to see them suffer. PAWS have a vet onsite that looks after these animals full time.

There are some really cruel people out there... dogs come in with scalded back, broken bones, neck wounds...I hope PAWS does the humane thing (and the right thing) by let them go peacefully.

As for volunteering. If you have time on weekends, its good to go in and help walk as many dogs as you can. Other things volunteers do is to help with education, give talks on responsible pet ownership to schools and fostering. (But believe me, hand feeding 6 hungry puppies every few hours is tiring work!!!) And PAWS is not the only animal welfare organisation around, so if you have good intentions and want to work towards a more humane world, call up and see if they have activities on days that you are available.

And you can always do stuff on your own, like feed the strays and get them neutered.

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #6 of 12 (6256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cynhor] Dog Compound - Renovations [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello there Cynhor, thanks for your lengthy reply. Well, actually I was just hoping to get some insight about volunteering at PAWs. This is because I will be moving to Subang quite soon and would be staying somewhere not too far from PAWs. I've been wanting to volunteer at PAWs for some time already but due to my location and also my working hours, its quite difficult to do so. However, as i'm going to be moving to Subang soon, hopefully i would be able to help out there.

The other reason why i was asking about the time and stuff is because i only finish work at around 5.30 and if i were to volunteer at PAWs it would be from 6pm onwards. and as stated on the website it clearly states that they only need volunteers till 4pm. And if they permit, i would be able to go there straight after work to help out... rather then doing nothing at home... or should i say i would have the reason to finish work earlier.

I do not at all mind having to bathe the dogs or clean up their cages or even fixing stuffs in the compound if Paws would need a handyman standing by.

Well as of helping out with strays, i really cant help much as i'm now staying in Shah Alam and you wouldn't be lucky enough to spot a stray.... but i did manage to get my management to keep a stray that has been going in and out of our factory. now my company is providing kibbles for her and she gets locked in a relatively large area of our factory.. now even if we let her out from the enclosure, she wouldn't even want to go out of the factory. she has now bonded with a few of us from the factory and the only time she will bark is when there are suppliers, customers or unknown people around the factory... well thats as much as i can do for now...

Anyways, thanks again for your reply about this issue...

fartu... dont be a pain in the ass ok... everyone has their views on something and we cant stop people from voicing their opinion. but please do not be sarcastic and do it in the correct way... its me that's interested in helping out at PAWs so let me be the judge.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:19 PM

Post #7 of 12 (6224 views)
Shortcut

hi khengteik, for those of us working full time, volunteering on weekdays is out of the question... maybe u could try to find time on a saturday or sunday, and you don't have to stay there from the time they open till they close, i don't think tat's a requirement... my experience volunteering in spca was that i went there every sunday for 4 hours, sometimes more sometimes less, depending on my own schedule lo... i think with volunteering, even if you could spend only 1 hour there and walk a couple of dogs, clean a few cages, that's a good help already... i believe it does make a difference, even if it's a small one... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:27 PM

Post #8 of 12 (6217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Dog Compound - Renovations [In reply to] Can't Post

well ai_ney... thats the problem... i'm only free after my working hours and that also during weekdays... weekends either i'll be working also... or have other commitments... thats y i'm asking if it is possible for volunteers to go there after 5pm to help out...

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:33 PM

Post #9 of 12 (6215 views)
Shortcut

u work 7 days a week??? cham... wat u do? Tongue

then susah lo, i don't think they allow u to go in after they close... but u could still call up PAWS shelter manager and discuss with him and maybe he could make arrangements for you guar...

Sookie's Photo Gallery

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:37 PM

Post #10 of 12 (6211 views)
Shortcut

well i work as an "anjing-liar" (ermm in other words engineer Frown ) 6 days a week... sometimes 7... but whenever i'm free during the weekends, i'll visit my furkid who is now at my aunts place.... and that leaves me only with weekends after work....

well... i'll give paws a call and see what is their schedule like... thanks for the help anyways

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:45 PM

Post #11 of 12 (6207 views)
Shortcut

oh i c... engineers' schedule really hectic hor? my frens also same, work long long hours n go outstation...

after i adopted my dog, i stopped volunteering lu... i work 5 days a week, so sat n sun i only wanna spend it with my dog, if not i'll feel guilty...

all the best with volunteering... Smile

Sookie's Photo Gallery

khengteik
ALPHA

Oct 24, 2007, 7:52 PM

Post #12 of 12 (6201 views)
Shortcut

yea... long working hours... emergency outstation... low pay.... arghhhhhh so much to do.. so little time...

anyways, the reason why i want to volunteer now is because i'm shifting over to someplace that is near PAWs. and as i have said earlier, my furkid is staying with my aunt... so i am relatively free on weekdays... but weekends... i'll definitely be at my aunts to visit my furkid whenever i'm free...

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my