Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs

Ahsuah
Novice

Oct 8, 2007, 5:26 AM

Post #1 of 8 (16084 views)
Shortcut
Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs Can't Post

My Roxxy, a Shih Tzu, just got back from his 3rd vaccination and heartworm jabs. The vet recommended me to get the annual heartworm jab which is easier for us to monitor, instead of giving him the tablets every month. So, this morning he got 2 jabs together, one after another.

Right after the jabs, we went home and he seems alright. Until later in the afternoon, I tried to carry him and he cried in pain whenever I try to carry him or touches him. I do not know what went wrong and I thought it could be the pain from the jabs.

But when I came home after my tea break in the evening, he cried even louder whenever I tried to carry him. And I'm afraid if I carry him, I will hurt him more. Thus, I just tell him that I'm not gonna touch him, but I will just give him some treats while I check on his pain.

I don't seem to find anything unusual on his body and skin. I'm not sure if the pain is from the jabs this morning. Can someone enlighten me on this pain my little puppy is having... PLEASE.....

p/s: he still can play and walk as usual, as long as we don't try to carry him. And he's as playful as he is eventho he's in pain...

chrisong
Doggyman

Oct 8, 2007, 3:51 PM

Post #2 of 8 (16082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ahsuah] Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs [In reply to] Can't Post

How come this vet introduce heartworm jab together with the 3rd jab do it one time??? I prefer monthly heartworm medication compare to jab.

The area where the vet jab into the skin will swollen. The pup will feel pain when being touch. Usually the pain will gone after one day. If the pain continue for few days please send your pup back to the vet for checking.

Ahsuah
Novice

Oct 8, 2007, 4:56 PM

Post #3 of 8 (16078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Chris. This morning when I woke up and feed him, I tried to touch and carry him. He seems more comfortable today as compared to yesterday nite. He allows me to carry him gently today. So, I presume his pain has lessen. I think I was just being paranoid, becos the previous 2nd jab he seems ok, and not this 3rd jab.

I will continue to monitor him and hope that everything will be fine soon. Otherwise, I will look for my vet again.

Thanks once again... Smile

willi
Novice

Oct 10, 2007, 4:21 PM

Post #4 of 8 (16047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Chris - Why is the dog not allowed to be bath or wet after the vaccination shot. The doc advised to wait until 10 days. Appreciate your comment

Is it got to do with potential infection on the injection area - which will usually closed up after a few hours / a day. Or anything to do with the dog's body temperature
willi

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 13, 2007, 9:12 PM

Post #5 of 8 (15988 views)
Shortcut

I think most probably is due to the heartworm jab given to ur dearest one, i happened to read thru the CD provided by the company, if i not mistaken, the jab is call ProHeart jab, which can give dog prevention toward heartworm for a year, it is specially formulated to last for a year, and in order for it to be staying in the doggie's body, it have sort of slow release formulation and the CD illustrated that the drug is impregnated within the micro crystal balls which injected as a thick suspension under the skin, just imagine having suck a thick suspension being injected under the skin, it must be very painful even after few days... but the pain will eventually disappear....it happened to my dog as well.... but one thing i dont understand is, why heartworm jab was given together with the 3rd vaccin, because my vet told me, usually they will recommend the jab for dog that is more than 1 year old but not less than 1 year when they are still puppy????

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 13, 2007, 9:17 PM

Post #6 of 8 (15987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [willi] Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs [In reply to] Can't Post

while my vet told me is because bathing my cause stress to the dog and somesort of body temperature fluctuation lah..... and after vaccination, we should have the puppy rest in order for them to prepare their body to fight against the vaccin injected (which is actually type of weakened viruses which not able to cause disease if the dog is healthy), that's why, no vaccination is given or delay if ur doggie is sick

Ahsuah
Novice

Oct 24, 2007, 11:31 PM

Post #7 of 8 (15937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CEDRICSIN] Pain after vaccination and heartgard jabs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Cedricsin,

I'm not too sure also why he recommended the jab along with the 3rd jab.

But my Roxxy is ok already. Thank you for your very informative info.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Nov 6, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #8 of 8 (15841 views)
Shortcut

Lol...didnt see this thread earlier on. Tongue

Anyway one of my dogs took his 1st proheart jab together with his 3rd vaccination last year. That time I also blur blur, the vet say jab, jab lah. So I remember vaccine jab near ass but proheart near the shoulder blades. And yeah i remember vet said proheart jab will be painful cos needle used is bigger than the one for the vaccine. He took his 1st proheart when he was about 7 months old. Vet also never said below 1 yr cannot take jab. And i dont even know anything about it ok. All i know, wahhhh one dose for 1 year, saves me all the trouble, so good lah. Go for it lah. Tongue

This year is his second dose of proheart liao. But they didnt recommend for my other puppy, then about 6months old the jab. They say must above 1 yrs old. Crazy

Sometimes I feel it has something more to do with the weight issue rather than the age issue. See, rascal was above 6kg when he took the jab at 7 months old. Gizmo at 6 months old, barely 3kg. My theory, the risk is probably higher in smaller dogs as compared to bigger dogs. Just my own hypothesis ok. Tongue

But anyway........... good to hear that your dog is well after the jab. After so many stories i've heard about that jab, I'm having doubts whether to jab my puppy with it or not when he comes of age. Hahahah last time bodoh bodoh let the vet do cos donnu anything. Sometimes, ignorant is a bliss. Hahahahahahah Tongue

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my