Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
not sleeping on his cusion

pen
Novice

Sep 27, 2007, 1:41 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2350 views)
Shortcut
not sleeping on his cusion Can't Post

I bought a cusion for my dear fluffy (pekingese) as his bed however he just dun like to sleep that. I tried to train him by carrying him back to the cusion every night before sleep and tell him that's his home. but next morning when i got up, he is sleeping in living room...

at the end, i keep the cusion since he doesnt like it however my fren was telling me should give him a space or territory to feel 'home' instead of letting him sleeping around the house.

did u guys experience this before?

potter

Sep 27, 2007, 9:10 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pen] not sleeping on his cusion [In reply to] Can't Post

Dogs like to choose their own place to sleep. Sometimes, cushion makes them feel hot so they will choose the cold floor coz it cools them down. You can give them their own space by getting them a crate and covering the crate with a piece of cloth to make it feel like a cave/den and put a pillow in there. They will go in when they need their own space. Some of the dogs love to sleep under the table for the same reason, it makes them feel safe. Try putting the cushion under a table and you might find your pup sleeping there once in a while.

Note: Mine only sleeps in his bed whenever he feels like it but I just keep it there so that he can go and relax on it when he wants to. During the night, I put his bed next to my side of the bed and he will sleep in it once in a while. Don;t worry about it. Its not about training, you cannot really train them where to sleep, they do have their own preference like we do.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Oct 1, 2007, 6:05 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2296 views)
Shortcut

I agree with the forum above.

Dogs set their own place to sleep. It might be hot for him. It is like human wearing a fur coat during a sunny day. My dog does that too. I bought him a nice bed but he pushes it every night to the side.

You can hide the treat under his bed or in the hidden corners. Let him know it is his bed. Having said that, do not expect him to like his bed. Dogs do not care like is human thinks it is cute to have fluffy bed. As long as he feels comfy and he could cool off his belly it should be fine to crash. You might want to change the material. My dog likes cushion with cotton or cement.
Dog behaviorist.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 11:13 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] not sleeping on his cusion [In reply to] Can't Post

my home floor is covered with tiles. so carpets in front of the toilets and rooms. there's where my furkids love. they sit on the carpets, play, and chew their treats/toys there. even if i make them sit and give the treats they wont' chew on it. they'll keep it in their mouth...till they can go back to the carpet to eat it. they just have a fav place and i'm not gonna argue with that, they make a mess i just clean the carpet :P

smokey774
Novice

Nov 18, 2007, 6:59 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

first off im suprised that your pup is already sleeping on his own! my pup is 8 mo. and still needs his crate from time to time. but anyways..i agree with what the other members were saying, dogs will sleep where they wish; however, if you let them, they will also poo where they wish, play how they wish, etc. not a big deal but if you really wish for him to sleep there you may want to try this and see how it works:

same as with crate training, i did this with my pup for a while and he seemed to get the point, i also have a peke and know that they are especially stubborn!!!! what you can try is place you pup on his bed and say "bed" or whichever phrase you may choose, and praise him with a treat. im sure he will get off and thats fine, and just do it again, place him on and say "bed", "good boy bed" and give treat. after a while he will associate his bed with treats. my pup with his crate learned that if he goes in there it means good things, and now everytime he comes inside, even tho he is hardly ever in his crate, he will try to go right to it. dogs do what works, and what you must understand is they have routines. everything is repition! sending your pup tio his bed for so long he will eventually do it by himself. once he realizes that bed means go to bed, you can try placing him in front of it and patting the bed with your hand as in "come on, lay down here" or even simply placing the treat there but always use "bed" and when he does lie down say good boy but also good boy bed. good boy is good but when you add bed he gets that bed is good, i did good by laying on the bed. this will help him understand what he did right.

once he gets the hang of it, move further away and say go to bed or whatever and when he does, praise him greatly and give treat. he will soon learn that this is good. and hopefully he will want to lie down more. and if you are wtching tv and he is on his bed, raqndomly give him a ttreat for being there and say good boy bed so he will think Oh, she likes when im laying here.

hope this helps..but its also known that dogs like tile floor cus its cooler, so dont be too hurt if he chooses the kitchen floor instead sometimes, its actually very comfy for them! : )

good luck!!!!! and omg cute pup!!!!!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my