Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed

alsl
Novice

Sep 19, 2007, 9:49 PM

Post #1 of 16 (17933 views)
Shortcut
Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed Can't Post

Hi, I've got a Shihtzu, and he has just turned a year old. All the while, he has been sleeping in his cage at night as well as when we were out for work and we never encounter such problem. He was given few toys, which were different each time, so that he wont get bored.

However, since he has got his booster vaccine last week, he refuse to sleep in his cage anymore, and bark whenever you place him in his cage at night. He is getting very aggressive, and bark for few hours at nite. As I am staying in a condo, I am afraid of complaints from neighbours.

Since we are worried of him, we took him to the vet again yesterday, but there were nothing wrong with him. Ever since then, whenever he barks at nite, we will have to let him out, and let him roam around the house. Not just that, he will want to enter the bedroom as well! If we were to close the bedroom door, he would bark again!

Realising that this is not the solution and since we are expecting a baby real soon and afraid this will cause uncomfortability to our child, and certainly this is the perfect solution. He even barks when he went for boarding whenever the caretaker put him in the cage.

I read through the forum. I personally do not think debarking it is the best choice. Would appreciate if any of the members around could recommend some solutions. I've tried eveything. Besides this 'problem', he is a very good boy, and we felt very heartache if we were to give him away. I love him very much! Please please help. I would be willing to try any method suggested, if it does no harm to him.

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Sep 20, 2007, 1:49 AM

Post #2 of 16 (17918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alsl] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if my 2 cents worth of comments can help. There is 2 reasons why a dog continue to bark :

1. they are bored cause they do not have our attention enough

2. they are spoilt

Most books will tell you to ignore the dog barking and sometimes it is true. If everytime we attend to them when they bark, they know that they now have a hold on us. But if we do not give in, then they know who's boss.

Some suggestions that may help :

1. give them exercise of make them exercise. bring them for long walks, make them run, throw balls and the sort that requires them to run around and may tire them out. you will find them sleeping better in the nite.

2. this remedy may not work very well - give them toys to play. this remedy may work for a while but once they are bored with the toys, they will bark again.

so, it look like you may have to take time to play with them and tire them out thru exercise. hope it helps.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Sep 23, 2007, 12:15 AM

Post #3 of 16 (17865 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I suggest remote-collar training, it works as I have helped a few friends out. It is a rather expensive gadget but it does have many usage espeacially if you take your dog out regularly it also play as an invisible leash and you need not jerk or choke the dog.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Oct 1, 2007, 5:33 PM

Post #4 of 16 (17783 views)
Shortcut

My dog does the same every time we give him fleas treatment once a month. Not only that, he vomits 1-2wice 10 days after.

If I were you, I will wait. Your dog is feeling crappy because of the medicine. Yor dog;s antibody is working and the body try to react to the medication. It is like he is telling you that he feeling weird inside him

Having said that, you also should monitor his aggressive manner by being persistent with him. Be patient and the best way for de-barking your is to use a spray bottle fill with tab water. Every time he barks, spray him and when he stop say "shoo". Ask him to lay down. If he goes quiet, give him a small treat. If not spray him untul he knows it is not acceptable.

Repeat this process till he gives up and stay quiet. Have you neutered your dog yet?
Dog behaviorist.

fartu
Dog Kichi

Oct 2, 2007, 9:06 AM

Post #5 of 16 (17767 views)
Shortcut

Aisl

the lady's technique is good. another way is to bark louder than your shitzu, right into his ears everytime he bark.
repeat this abt 50-100 times he will stop barking due to deafness.

alsl
Novice

Oct 3, 2007, 1:03 AM

Post #6 of 16 (17751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lady

Thanks a bunch! I've sent him to boarding since I've to go away from town for few weeks. Complaint I got from the centre is, he barks non-stop! I'm not sure what is happening to him! Since now that he got back home, he'll continue to bark again for sure.

I am out of ideas now. Will try your method today and see if it works.

Alsl

alsl
Novice

Oct 3, 2007, 1:10 AM

Post #7 of 16 (17749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Dowk

Most probably i think he is spoilt. He's been quite a good boy all this while until he's given the booster. Not sure what happen, but the doctor said that its the hormon changes that makes him react this way.

But, I am worry that this will keep going on till god knows when.

alsl
Novice

Oct 3, 2007, 1:44 AM

Post #8 of 16 (17747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSY] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi PSY

Wonder how this remote control thingy works? whats the cost anyway? heard of those that will give electric shock to the doggy when they bark. Hope this doesnt work that way.

PSY
K9 Kaki

Oct 3, 2007, 9:48 PM

Post #9 of 16 (17728 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

yes it does give a shock but you need to experience the shock first before you can condemn or accept it. It is like any training aid, choke chain, prong collar...etc.
What you want is fast result. They do cost a bit RM1,500.00 but you use it for ob training plus ideal when you take your dog out as it acts as an invisible leash in short you need not jerk your dog when you need to make a correction. If you need more infor contact me at liteweimer @ yahoo. com

alsl
Novice

Oct 31, 2007, 8:39 AM

Post #10 of 16 (17099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi All

My poor puppy is still barking aggressively until today. I've received complaints from neighbours of him barking at night.

I've tried every method you guys suggested, but still does not work out. I'm having a baby soon, so if he continues to behave as such, I does not know whether I still can keep him or not.

Hopefully I dont have to send him away Frown

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2007, 8:01 PM

Post #11 of 16 (17004 views)
Shortcut

Sad to hear that. I can't guarantee you my method is correct or the right or humane way or whatever. But I've managed to stop dogs from being noisy all the time. It happened when I helped someone from the forum with his dog as it was so noisy. When it came to my place it banged n scratched my door the whole night. Crying and howling and making maximum noise. I just went out and whack her with newspaper also she not scared. After 2-3 times I just give up and try to sleep. She stopped at bout 4am. 2nd day when she knows someone is near the back of my house she starts again this time my friend who'e much stricter then me whack her. Although she continues a bit but she stopped much faster. By evening she stopped doing that completely.

I come to a conclusion that first i have to be more firm/strict with the dog. 2nd is to ignore the dog as it is ruling you by whining/barking and then you paid attention to it. I am lucky to have neighbours who will be patient for 1 or 2 days. That ECS that i have in hand also was very noisy but i disciplined her in 1 day also. Now she's still the noisiest dog that I have but she will stopp after a few minutes. I can't afford to have noisy dogs as i dun want people to complain my other 12 dogs in the house. Smile

Maybe you can board him at my place for a few days and i'll do the job Just joking..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

myzanordin
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2007, 12:01 AM

Post #12 of 16 (16998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I cant agree whether Yen's method is right or wrong, but I can tell you it is definately effective. Cool

One who approaches Yen's house would be surprise to know she has 12 dogs in her vicinity...so peaceful ! No noise ! its the truth....

lilfunky
Canine Addict

Nov 8, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #13 of 16 (16933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

but why they bark at me Frown
Love them, they will love you
They Don't Talk Don't Meant They Wrong.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 8, 2007, 8:53 PM

Post #14 of 16 (16930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lilfunky] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

U very funny oh.. Where got dog no bark at strangers wan ah? Sure bark when they see you la.. Just that they dun simply bark for no reason.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

lilfunky
Canine Addict

Nov 10, 2007, 4:27 AM

Post #15 of 16 (16889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Serious Barking Problem! Help Needed [In reply to] Can't Post

hanor, ya also hor.. hahaha.. im funky so im funny i guess Laugh
Love them, they will love you
They Don't Talk Don't Meant They Wrong.

vckloong
Novice

Apr 27, 2008, 8:51 PM

Post #16 of 16 (15640 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Dog behavioural problems are sometimes worrisome.

If you guys need an expert or consultant's advice from the United States you can visit www.dogtrainster.com.

They have pretty good information there as well as certified consultants there to help you out.

Vincent
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training
www.dogtrainster.com - Ultimate Resource and Tips for Dog Training

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my