Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Overly hyper.

I_live_cement
New User

Sep 12, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Overly hyper. Can't Post

I recently got my puppy (a small mix) and she is hyper most of the time. She never poops outside and doesn't always pee outside. I've tried taking her out but all she does is play. Also, she always gets hyper when we eat meals and tries to come play with us and puts her paws on our table. Is there any way to make her stop doing that and make her sit in her bed while eating? I would really appreciate advice on this. I've tried training her but she's just too hyper and gets too excited from getting treats that it becomes her main focus. Will this hyper nature pass?

myzanordin
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [I_live_cement] Overly hyper. [In reply to] Can't Post

What breed? I think its normal for all puppies to be playful & hyper. They are just like babies. How can they behave? How long have you got the puppies? Maybe give yourself some time...

Try practising a stern NO..be vocal, they are afraid of loud noise. Show her you mean it lah..NO !

my_crystal929
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007, 8:02 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2452 views)
Shortcut

hey,

my mal 7 mths also like that.. non-stop jumping, running everywhere.. she is almost my height when she is standing up..

crystal & roxy

I_live_cement
New User

Sep 24, 2007, 10:19 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [myzanordin] Overly hyper. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a maltese/jack russell/poodle mix, I think. She always wakes me up early. How do I get her to wake up at the same time as me? I've had her for a few weeks now.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Sep 24, 2007, 6:20 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Just remember this...a tired dog is a good dog!

You have to give your puppy exercise. Walking, playing, chasing balls and catching are good exercise.

Your puppy needs to let out his accumulated energy. Take your pup for a walk 2 times a day preferably 20 minutes each evryday. Provide your pup after with lots of water.

Make sure your puppy go potty regularly every 2-5 hours till 6 months old especially after sleeping, napping and eating. Before playing, make sure you take him out for a potty so she wont pee everywhere. Everytime she does good, give her treats.

Teach her commands like come, sit, down and stay. Use a lot of treats. Ask your parents to buy you book on dog basic training. It is fun and enjoyable.
Dog behaviorist.

potter

Sep 26, 2007, 1:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Do not give her treat when she is all excited. Teach her to sit and once she sit, give her the treat. This will at least help her to stay calm when you give her the instruction and in time, it will help. Since your dog is hyper, you really need to walk her. For a young pup, few months old, 20 minutes a day is good. As she grows older, she can do 40-45 minutes a day divided into 2 walks-I sometimes just bring mine out once a day and bring water for him to drink. Training is also great for socializing her. You will notice your dog gets less hyper when she is 2-3 years old and even less when older but you shouldn't have problem if you tire her out with daily walks. Mine sleeps most of the day after his vent of energy.
potter

www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=410379

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my