Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
Deworm Overdose

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2007, 4:34 PM

Post #1 of 8 (13172 views)
Shortcut
Deworm Overdose Can't Post

Frown I bought a mini Chihuahua on 15 July from a petshop in SS2. The pup was simply adorable. However, on 18 July, we noted the poop was some blood stains. Called the vet and was advised to deworm. So, off we went to a pet shop in SS24. Being inexperienced, we told them we wanted our very small pup to be dewormed. Our pup weighs only about 350gms. The guy at the shop took a pill and broke it into quarters and gave it to my mini Chi. TO my horror, within 1/2 hour, the pup begin to vomit and purge. Though the worm did come out but my pup is currently in hospital!!!! Symptom - overdose of deworming pill.

What we found out was the pill was supposed to treat 10kg dog and though it was broken into quarters, the dosageg was still high for a 350gms pup. My dog lost its appetitie for food and fears of liver disorder. When we went back to the shop who sold us the deworming pill, they can only apologize and say they have tried it on their own mini Chi and nothing happens. Can anyone advise us if there is any authorities governing these malpractitioner? I padi RM1400 for the mini pup only to be given an overdose of deworming pill from an irresponsible petshop owner.

What can we do to help the pup recover from this trauma?

chrisong
Doggyman

Jul 23, 2007, 5:08 PM

Post #2 of 8 (13167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dowk2301] Deworm Overdose [In reply to] Can't Post

How is the pup now?

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Jul 24, 2007, 12:34 AM

Post #3 of 8 (13154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Deworm Overdose [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown I have just received news from the Pet shop and the worst news that we dreaded came - our Little Cody has passed on this morning after fighting for his life since Thursday. My son and daughter are both crying as we only had the pups for only 3 days. Little Cody's picture is attached for your viewing. He is so adorable and cute. Weighing only 350 gms.

It is frustrating as no one seems to want to take responsibility. We called Bayer - producer of the deworming pills and they say their prescription were correct - 1/4 of pill for dogs up to 5kg. The pet-shop where we bought the pill from says they followed prescription. The pet shop we bought the pup from says the dog was healthy when we bought it. Then ..... who is to blame????? All we wanted was an innocent pet and now it is gone. All because of a deworming pill that everyone suspects that it was an overdose.

Goodbye Cody. WE LOVE YOU!Unsure

goofydip
Veteran

Jul 26, 2007, 3:10 AM

Post #4 of 8 (13140 views)
Shortcut

oooooo....... This is a real sad news... I am wondering, is this the petshop that some of the forumers keep reminding us not to go? My mind is now full of questions. I wonder y this kind of petshop can stand so long and yet they can hold their business.Mad

Cody in your avatar is real cute and adorable. .... So sad to hear this...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2007, 5:42 AM

Post #5 of 8 (13137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Deworm Overdose [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Cody was very, very cute. Weighing only 350gms. Actually it was not a vet who attended to him but a petshop who gave though I brought Cody to the shop too. Cody was small and something like a teacup Chi. My heart sank when we were told that he did not make it. Anyway, the pet shop where I bought Cody replace another pup but I had to pay slight more. Now, I wonder if the petshop where I bought from knows something I don't know??????? Very fishy, right. Anyway, Cody is no longer with us but we have Chelsea. She is 650gms and healthy. She is having a bit cough and slight phelgm in throat. Doc gave antibiotics already. Hope she get well soon.

myzanordin
ALPHA

Jul 26, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #6 of 8 (13133 views)
Shortcut

I never trusted Pet Shop. Always refer to my trusred vet even for minor things. When I bought my min. pin Brenda 8 months ago, she was diagnosed positive for distemper virus by my vet. I was soooo angry and called the Pet Shop. They insisted that I left Brenda with them so they can send her to their vet. I had a big quarrel with them, when they refused to release the vet location to me when I insisted to send Brenda myself. They said cant reveal cos blah, blah, blah..anyhow, I managed to get the location and send Brenda personally to the so called vet.

To my surprise, it was a small shop where the dog carrier is stacked like fruits and vege crates.The doctor look so 'dirty' as when I arrive he was sweepin the floor. I explained to him and showed him the 'test kit' which I brought along with me (on Brenda's positive result) plus a letter from my vet. He didnt even touch, look or check or touch Brenda, and said he needs to board her for obseration. No way, I am going to leave my Brenda in this dirty horrible looking place.

I took her home and with my vet medication and guidance, she went through the ordeal , she has strong willpower to live. She is healhty now. My vet put her on imune pill and other stuff. I bet you, If I have left her there at the pet shop, they would just placed her in one corner, waiting for her time to die. Or worst sell to another person and replace a new puppy for me.When I asked them, why is their vet clinic look so unhygenic. They said the vet entertained only pet shop and not pet owners. So just imagine ..what kind of people we are dealing with! The animals are treated secondary. Their welfare is not the pet shop priority, its $$$$ they are more concern of. I bet you their vet is paid peanuts and reports and diagnose that their made is to suit the pet shop. FYI, Brenda is the brown min. pin in the avatar

I have anyway, spoken to Malay Mail and my issue was highligted in the Hotline. BTW, the pet shop is PEts More in Kepong. In your case, try calling Malay Mail. The reporter will direct your complain to the accorded people.

Good luck! I guess now its not the money issue. But justice for your dead puppy.

goofydip
Veteran

Jul 26, 2007, 7:23 PM

Post #7 of 8 (13131 views)
Shortcut

Oh...Hope Chelsea get well real soon...Wish you all the best... I really scared see doggies sick.. They couldn't talk, they dunno how to express their sick, their pain...

I wonder y still need to pay to 'replace' Cody? This shop really

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

dowk2301
Dog Kichi

Jul 26, 2007, 11:18 PM

Post #8 of 8 (13124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] Deworm Overdose [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for all your sharing. I really feflt the same way as all of you. To me, buying a dog is like an investment and we want to ensure that it is a good investment. The Petshop i bought from is Summer Pet in SS2. Well, the guy is quite okay as he did help me a lot but the deworm pill is from another shop - Pet Buddy in SS24. Summer Pet seems ok but price is high. as for the other one, I am very skeptical now. Even the owner has this "gangster" look.

Anyway, I'm glad to know you all. Anybody heard of Dr Palany - seems to be quite a famous vet from Kepong servicing petshop in PJ. He is a mobile vet.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my