Home: General: Chit Chat:
Its a true story. How sad.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 6:55 PM

Post #1 of 22 (57303 views)
Shortcut
Its a true story. How sad. Can't Post

It was on the 8th Feb when I visited Subang Animal Clinic to make arrangements for two of our memebrs' dogs checked by Dr. Nathan I saw a lady with a pure breed beagle puppy of about 10-11 weeks old sittiing at the reception area.
One quick glance, at this puppy, she has caught distemper. But I didn't want to her her the truth, because she and her daughter of about 11 years old were really attached to it.
Instead, I asked her where the puppy was from and has she seeked treatment elsewhere.
The reply was, the puppy was purchased from a pet shop, she did not tell me which petshop, but she did tell me that it is a pedigree beagle with birth certs still being process and she paid RM1300. and was also told that the first and initial vaccination had been given. All of these were verbal and she has only the words of the petshop owner.
Three days after she has brought the puppy home, it has developed a cough and she took it to Taipan a clinic there and the vet told her not to worry, as this could be kennel cough and it is quite common to young puppies. So, the puppy was treated with kennel cough. A couple of days went by, instead of getting better, the puppy was really deadly sick, with watery eyes and running nose.
Dr. Nathan immediately diagnosed the symptom and confirmed that the puppy is already in the advance stage of distemper and the chances of survival is about 10 - 20%. It was left in the clinic for treatment and by next morning, the puppy has gone into convulsion -in simple layman language- fits. It means the nerve system is affected.
The puppy was put to sleep.
Yesterday at 5.30PM I received a telephone call from a Mr. Choong, whom I don't know and does not ring a bell.
He said that he managed to track me down from Puppycom and asked me if I was that person who spoke to his wife and saw the Beagle at the clinic. For a moment, I thought he was after my blood, and wanted to know if I had flirted with his wife or hug his puppy.
As the conversation proceeded, he told me that he is a computer consultant and he visited puppycom as a guest on several occasions and so on. My immediate reply to him was, hasn't he come across various posts on puppies bought at petshops? And why didn't he register as a member? and why must he come fishing where as he could have a choice of bawal, cod, lobsters, steaam, bake or deep fried nicely prepared and served readily on the table?
Anyway, to cut the story short, he is looking for a replacement, because the daughter has been crying her eyes out. I advised him to let the daughter cry until she runs out of tears.
At this point, can any member please tell me why I do not recommend him to find a replacement?
Please post your answer so that at least I have the satisfaction in knowing what all active members have learned and picked up from this forum.
I would like an answer from the following: Jason,May,Pat,Pyro,Prettycuter,doogiedoggie,Calida,
Rainbow and any others that I might have over looked.leopui excluded

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 20, 2002, 7:15 PM

Post #2 of 22 (57293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

"He said that he managed to track me down from Puppycom and asked me if I was that person who spoke to his wife and saw the Beagle at the clinic. For a moment, I thought he was after my blood, and wanted to know if I had flirted with his wife or hug his puppy.
As the conversation proceeded, he told me that he is a computer consultant and he visited puppycom as a guest on several occasions and so on. My immediate reply to him was, hasn't he come across various posts on puppies bought at petshops? And why didn't he register as a member? and why must he come fishing where as he could have a choice of bawal, cod, lobsters, steaam, bake or deep fried nicely prepared and served readily on the table?"

The above is why you do not recommend him a replacement. Smile You don't like fishermen.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 20, 2002, 9:54 PM

Post #3 of 22 (57290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fisherman, mermaids, everyone I like. But your answer is very salah. Try again.

May
Old Hand

Feb 21, 2002, 5:55 PM

Post #4 of 22 (57282 views)
Shortcut

"....he is looking for a replacement, because the daughter has been crying her eyes out. I advised him to let the daughter cry until she runs out of tears."

I think is the timing. This is not the right time for them to have another puppy. Maybe you want them to read and understand better on owning a puppy. Every puppy is different, just like human being. Cannot be replace. That's my guess.Smile

Pat

Feb 22, 2002, 7:11 PM

Post #5 of 22 (57276 views)
Shortcut

I do not know why you do not recommend a replacement but I myself wouldn't recommend a replacement because I find that many dog's lives are sacrificed because many owners are inexperience and irresponsible about bringing up a dog, most importantly, many have the wrong expectation of keeping a dog and are not interested in learning the nitty gritty to dog's health and behaviour. A dog is not kept just as a toy or a present to a kid, it is a living thing which the owner must be responsible for. I would think the poor beagle showed enough symptoms before reaching a fatal stage, I am not sure. But anyway the mourning period is necessary for the family to realise this painful lesson and think twice about having another dog. The parents must educate their kids on the value of living being, otherwise an eleven year old kid would get over it easily as the next toy comes along.

Many people do not share this view about dogs. I treat my dog like a baby and many think I am crazy. I may not be very experienced and may overreact to my dog's condition from time to time. But I think overreacting is better than ignoring because I care enough for my dog, as much as I care for my family member, and in caring I continue to learn what is necessary to improve its well being.
The incident to me is tantamount to losing a family member and one cannot just get over it by replacing another member.

Regards,
Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

May
Old Hand

Feb 22, 2002, 7:57 PM

Post #6 of 22 (57273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you Pat.

Eventhough I do not earn much for living, I always give the best to my puppy. As a freshie in owning a dog, sometimes I do asked some stp questions in this forum and being make fun of by other members. But as long as I get what I'm looking for, I don't care. My the other half always complaint why I treat the puppy so good.

To me, animal has feelings too and they deserve to be treated humanely. One should be prepared emotionally and mentally when decide to own a puppy.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 22, 2002, 8:42 PM

Post #7 of 22 (57269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL...May..my boyfriend is also sometimes jealous about how good I treat my doggies..hahaha..it's so funny...Smile

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Gin
Novice

Feb 22, 2002, 8:44 PM

Post #8 of 22 (57269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pat] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thumb Up to both May and Pat for their great spirit.

Owning a dog as pet is definitely a great responsibility and may even be costly. I guess Mr. Choong's family must make effort to learn more about dog before deciding to own another in the future.

Khoobg
Webmaster / Moderator

Feb 22, 2002, 9:43 PM

Post #9 of 22 (57266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

To ask is better than not asking at all. All those questions you consider as stp may as well be the same questions many experience dog lovers ask when they are learning about dog many years ago Smile

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Feb 22, 2002, 10:40 PM)

May
Old Hand

Feb 22, 2002, 10:24 PM

Post #10 of 22 (57264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed. That's why until now I still ask questions and I'm glad that puppycom members entertain me......really appreciate that. As we go along, there are alot of things for us to learn together, right?

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2002, 1:32 AM

Post #11 of 22 (57252 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agreed with you Khoo!
The main idea or objective of this forum is to let forum members to learn and interact iwth each others, no matter you are veteran or newbie. For newbies, they are very glad that they could get valuable knowledge and experience from other more experience members; for veteran, I think they also happy to see newbies coming up and learn something from them. Besides, the veteran can further exchange their ideas with others since they are not always right in some cases.

So, please feel free to speak anything doubts in your mind!Smile

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2002, 1:53 AM

Post #12 of 22 (57249 views)
Shortcut

To your question, Derrick, I try to answer ...

Personally, I think Mr. Choong's family was too eager to get a dog for the sake of having it! From your description, obviously, they are not ready enough to have the second one, because they do not have simple knowledge of dog care.

On the other hand, I think you are quite frustrated with the calling of Mr Choong. He was hoping your direct help without really look into the matter by posting a simple message for help!

Anyway, I think you should advise them to be careful in getting a puppy, especially from the petshops.

RegardsSmile

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 23, 2002, 6:54 AM

Post #13 of 22 (57241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gin] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are being persistently stubborn, and refused to introduce yourself, that makes us rather awkward to talk to a shadow.
Can you please, make an attempt to visit Members' Introduction section and tell us who you are and where are you from? You will find lots of examples there.
Regards.

Alex
New User

Mar 5, 2002, 8:26 AM

Post #14 of 22 (57223 views)
Shortcut

Hello Derrick,
My name is Alex a new active member to your interesting forum. Last name is Mr. Choong, the guy and his family featured in your forum.
Looks like none of your loyal forum members managed to answer your question and have gone astray in airing their limited knowledge and view of Mr Choong's unfortunate experience.

Yes, we have learned the "hard" way of getting a puppy and is now our mission to educate as many people with the good intentions of giving a puppy a home. I would like to know, how the can help to educate the public on the irresponsiblities of such "puppy mills".

Now I will try to answer your questions posted to your forum members. "At this point, can any member please tell me why I do not recommend him to find a replacement? "

Distemper is a Serious Disease, that can "stay" for a while in the house. The safety zone of getting another puppy is after 4 weeks and documented by many documents we have read. I would like your advice? I have contacted the number you have provided me at MKA and referred to some Breeders. I am taking my time to talk to them. Maybe another venue I should go to is the comming up Pet World seminar at the Mines. Hope to see you there.

My daughter have recovered from the "lost" and will always remember Crystal, that's the name of the Beagle. She is ready to own another puppy with the responsibilities my wife has educated her. Therefore we have taken your advice to wait for some time, but will still pursue to look for another Beagle to join our family.
My wife and myself grew up with Dogs in our family, and we would like to give our kids the same opportunities that we have experienced. After had Crystal, our kids had learned to be more responsible and caring.

Alex Choong

Derrickok
Novice

Mar 5, 2002, 9:28 AM

Post #15 of 22 (57215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alex] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forum Alex.
Actually I was very sad too when I saw the condition of the beagle puppy at the clinic. What can I do. You and your family had discharged your duty and obligation to the utmost, but it is rather an unfortunate incident.
Puppymill, Petshops and backyard breeders are all on going enterprises. They exist simply for the sake of money. MKA is an Association, mainly looking after the welfare of its members. From time to time, the editor of The Berita Anjing will remind and notify members the name and breed of dogs that had been de-registered, because of irregularities, such as false pedigree, smuggled in dogs from Thailand. By doing so, it is hoped by word of mouth that the public will come to know about it. And when the situation is getting out of hand, MKA will take out an advertisement in the major English & Chinese media to warn the public, and this has been done in 1998 and 2000. This is as best as the could do. Recently, they have implemented the microchipping system and hopefully this will further put some pressure on the puppymillers, dog traders and backyard breeders. However, eventually they(puppymillers,puppytraders,&backyard breeders) will be able to overcome the obstacles.
You should make an attempt to visit the coming dog shows at the Mines on the 17th March. Or if you are available and free on Saturday 9th March at 3.00PM, please bring your family there for a show preview. I shall be there. When you see a Dalmatian, that will be me.
I don't think you could blame your children for being irresponsible when your puppy is down with distemper. It is just one of those diseases, easily contracted anywhere, everywhere. My advice to you is, when you are ready for another Beagle, please call MKA again and ask for Susan or Bibi & they will be able to tell you who are the ethical and reputable breeders in the Klang Valley. Make sure that the puppy is 8-10 weeks old before you take it home and before you decide to pay a deposit, ask the breeder to show you the vaccination papers. Don't take "will be done"/"going to" for an answer!
Please do stay around and go thro the various postings contributed by the members, and if you have other questions related to doggie matters, let us know and we will do our best to help you.
Before, I sign off, could you please be kind enough to visit the members' introduction section and make a brief introduction there for other members.
Once again, glad to have you as a member.

Pat

Mar 5, 2002, 6:59 PM

Post #16 of 22 (57204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Alex] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Alex,

First and foremost, we owe you sincere apologies for being insensitive over your misfortune. We are sorry to generalise, speculate and go off-context with your misfortune in the absence of a direct account of your incident. Please do not take it to heart. I am glad however that you have registered with this forum and trust that we will learn a lot from your experience too. Our warm welcome to you and best of luck in your puppy hunting.

Regards,
Pat
Pat, David
parents to Kiki-nicole choa

Lo
Novice

May 23, 2003, 10:44 AM

Post #17 of 22 (56523 views)
Shortcut

Derrickok

You have mentioned Dr Nathan, si he a western? How good is his clinic? Is he good at cat? I am looking for a good vet for my cat. Thanks for your advise.

Lorita

terenceg

Dec 22, 2003, 6:37 PM

Post #18 of 22 (55634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lo] Its a true story. How sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

derrick,

i think everyone is right about this matter about having a replacement doggie for the family.

but i think you can advise them to get AIBO from SONY. althought it cost a little more than a beagle price, but i am sure it will teach the 11 years old girl some responsibility before getting a dog that don't require battery.

my 5 cent worth.

:)

~Not All that Glitters is Gold Not All that Wanders is Lost~

terenceg@streamyx.com

sss1979
Novice

Dec 27, 2004, 8:44 AM

Post #19 of 22 (52880 views)
Shortcut

this yr having bad luck, my dad's dog gave birth to 5 pups and one by one it dies because the mother dog also sick even the Vet gave medicine and injection condition same and it wont eat at all.. and there's no milk for the puppies. My dad takes care the puppies but sadly the pups also body weak.. just like the mother dog... they are like having flu... wet nose..my dad thinks maybe from the old male dog that passed the virus.. to the mother dog...

the old male dog doesnt belong to my dad.. it has a tag or it and one day.. my dad saw it with the female dog. Now the female dog is better... but my dad neutered it scared.. bad things happened... its really sad for all of us. My dad's female dog name Lucy.... by the way... I am happy its fine now... coz earlier.. the head bend... left and cant turn... at all... to see right side....

michellechen

Jun 23, 2005, 11:10 AM

Post #20 of 22 (51763 views)
Shortcut

It is really sad 2 hear such incident n I surely do not 1 2 encounter this... If any1 can recommend me a good home breeder 4 shih tzu, I would really appreciate it... As sum of d members here sugested, I had called up MKA 4 breeders contacts but sum of d members also said tht not all breeders r trustable, so I would really prefer 2 go 2 breeders who had great recommendations fr ppl who had bought fr them b4... Thx in advance...
-michelle-

cane_pazzeco
Dog Kichi

Jun 23, 2005, 12:36 PM

Post #21 of 22 (51755 views)
Shortcut

FrownFrown
Hai uncle ,
Do you recognise my dog. The one who did the Amazing Great Feat . He sure to make your head turn round and round.

FrownFrownFrown

evelynfoo
New User

Dec 26, 2006, 10:37 PM

Post #22 of 22 (47494 views)
Shortcut

hey, I just became a member today and would like to share my recent experience with the horrible distemper virus. My shih tzu, Ringo was purchased from a PJ pet shop with the usual playful puppy signs. 4 days later, he started vommiting and developed this aneroxia symptoms - refusing to eat or drink. The following day, i brought him to the vet and learnt that he contracted Distemper Virus, which was most probably contracted from the pet shop. Despite the IV drips and antibiotics, he continued to vommit blood and had bloody diarrhea. We all thought it was just a matter of time that he would leave us as he was just a tiny 6-wk old baby. Though i work, i would see Ringo everyday during my lunch breaks and after work, to give him all the emotional comfort aside from the medication he's getting from the vet. Surprisingly after the 6th day at the vet, he started gaining his appetite back and after a couple days later, i brought him home & took leave to nurse him. He's now back to his playful-self though i'm still monitoring him closely as I hear that Distemper Virus can make a comeback. Ringo's recovery is indeed a miracle & my greatest X'mas present. I learnt a very painful lesson as well abt buying pets from a pet-shop that does not have a confined area for young pups. I also want to thank everyone from THE HEALING ROOM vet in Subang, for all they've done for Ringo. They have shown so much care to Ringo & all the other pets at the vet. I can tell that they are not just doing it for the money but purely out of love & passion. I have to say that Ringo's recovery was not just on the medication but also the emotional comfort and support he received from everyone at THE HEALING ROOM. Frown

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my