Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Am I doing it right?

Mellissa
Novice

Jul 14, 2007, 6:16 PM

Post #1 of 3 (6293 views)
Shortcut
Am I doing it right? Can't Post

I got a Maltese-Poodle puppy two days ago, and have been trying to housebreak her because we live in an apartment and she's an indoor dog. The pet shop owners used to take her home every night and they mentioned that she is fine using housebreaking pads, so I bought a bag to use as well.

The first day I put the pads in my toilet. I fed her, and then waited and waited and waited for her to poop, but nothing. I kept bringing her to the pads but she just walked away after I turned my back. I also tried sitting in the toilet with her for over an hour (!!) and she just sat on the pad and stared at me.

She peed on the carpet when I wasn't looking, and I just cleaned it up without saying anything, but she got the message that I wasn't happy cause she looked quite guilty after that. I caught her the next time she tried peeing on the carpet, and I rushed her to the pad where she finished there. Praised her a lot too :)

However when I play with her in the hall, she still pees on the carpet. At first I thought it was because she didn't know where the toilet was (it's an ensuite bathroom connected to my room), so I let it go and I just kept walking her there (guiding her while she walked by herself). She peed there once by herself and I was so proud of her, hahaha.

Everytime after her meal I lock her in my bedroom with the bathroom door open so I can monitor her, and scoop her up the instant she looks like she's gonna poop or pee.

She sleeps on the floor beside my bed (after one night I managed to teach her not to jump on the bed, she's quite smart!) with the toilet door open for her to do her business there, but she'd rather do it on the carpet in my bedroom! I woke up today with quite a bit of poop and pee to clean up too.

I know she's still young (4 and a half months) and she's still getting used to her surroundings so I'm being patient, but is there anything else I should be doing, or am I doing something wrong?
- peace love and joy -

musashi
ALPHA

Jul 16, 2007, 9:10 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mellissa] Am I doing it right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mellisa,

Your puppy is new to the house and I guess she needs a sense of belonging,that's why she pee on the carpet so that her smell is in the house. Anyway,if she pee on the floor or carpet next time, use the toilet sheets or tissue paper to soak the pee and leave it ast the place where you wnats her to pee, she will know ahere is the place for her to pee very soon..

each time whem she wake up, brign her to the spot to pee..if she still fail,then you may need to use puppy trainer..the very strong amonia horse urime ( it really smells like horse's urine )

Both of my Pekingnese are satying in the house, they usually wait for me to come home before they pee on the toilet sheets..they will not pee ot poo if I am am out of the house,but once I come home, they will greet me than then procced to pee..guess they wanted to show us who did the rght thing and they will get reward...rubbing thier belly...

Blush I am the man with dog's name

zephyros
Canine Addict

Sep 13, 2007, 8:40 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [musashi] Am I doing it right? [In reply to] Can't Post

for my training, it took a while but it still worked. mine was kinda shy, if u look, he'll tahan as long as he can and when u turn he'll let go. so if u can catch his body signs, then would be best, even while yours is letting go a bit, hurry and take it to the pads then when easing itself there praise it.

also what are you using to clean your carpet? make sure it contains NO ammonia. or else it will go back there again, and again, and again.

if it's easing itself and it's too late to move, make it a very firm "NO" and make they know that you are not playing. they'll learn. some faster than others, some slower. but don't worry.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my