IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
i need help???

exlish

Jul 14, 2007, 2:19 AM

Post #1 of 5 (7322 views)
Shortcut
i need help??? Can't Post

Unimpressedhi...i was wondering...i wanted to adopt or more like going to adopt a dog from paws...she is 1yrs old...i av no idea what her breed is but the problem is i have no idea how to train a dog...is it the same way as to train a puppy???as im planing to keep her indoors so toilet training plays an important role....i would like some advise...and does the odour spray works..where u spray at the newspaper n she will detect the smell n do her job there???other then that???

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Jul 20, 2007, 12:17 AM

Post #2 of 5 (7296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exlish] i need help??? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're planning to keep her indoors, then you'll need to train her to pee in a designated spot like the toilet or in her crate or playpen. But is she's a big dog, I would recommend you to bring her out to the grass after all, a big dog do need walks or else they will go mad in the house & destroy everything out of boredom. It should also be socialized the moment you adopt it. As soon as possible coz most dogs that are adopted from shelters usually will have some behavioral probs which are either caused by their previous owners or is a natural thing since young, especially the strays. Errrr, the smelly liquid usually does not work. I used to have one & I used to put a few drops on the newspaper but my dog Amber just doesn't want to do on it, with or without the liquid. Newspaper training can be quite hard to train coz it's not a spot where dogs would like to do it on. They will usually prefer tiles so if that's the case for your dog, then train it to do in toilet. And always praise it after she does on it but always correct it if it does in the wrong place like the carpet, etc. How I taught Amber not to do in the house but can only do it in the porch(only to pee not to poo unless emergency) is when she does in the porch, i keep quiet & let her do till she's finish. I don't praise her at all so that she does not get confused & think why I praise her after doing her business there. But when she did it in the house, I scolded her upside down. Then after a few days, she learned it. Quite easy!

exlish

Jul 20, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] i need help??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi...thank you...for that information...i hope it will work..thanks...;p

pennywise
Novice

Sep 10, 2007, 3:06 AM

Post #4 of 5 (7131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exlish] i need help??? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can train your dog to do their biz on the newspaper easily.
1. Always feed him treats on the newspaper. When he step on the newspaper = treats.
2. Always give him toys or bones to chew so he doesnt chew up all the newspaper.

Training a dog should be like training a puppy - they are both canine.

That is how I train my Westie.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Sep 13, 2007, 8:46 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pennywise] i need help??? [In reply to] Can't Post

that's good idea but downside to it, if there is a newspaper = weepoo spot. thus i avoid newspaper, instead I use a plastic pan about size of a full grown GR. works great thus far, keeps the weepoo in, and easy to clean. no newspaper to use and clean up when the dog decides to play with 'em.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my