eating problem

aryan8277
Dog Kichi

May 23, 2007, 11:42 PM

Post #1 of 10 (4375 views)
Shortcut
eating problem Can't Post

greetings...

im a very concerned man now. my beagle 2 years old is not eating well for some time now. he has stpooed eating dog food sherwood and even science plan... which he always eats clean... so i took him to my uncle(vetnarian) and he was admitted there for a week. he eats rice with chicken or beef... but yesterday he stopped eating rice.. just the meat...

i want to know is he understress of some kind or he is really sick... my uncle said is totally fine .. no health problems.... why is he doing like this......i love him so much ... or do i need to let him go hungry for sometime .. and than feed him... i bring him for walk everyday.... 30 min walk... he will be hungry everytime he comes back from walk.. but now he just comes back home drink water and rest...

i had so many dogs before .. not this kind of behaviour .....

kindly advice

PSY
K9 Kaki

May 24, 2007, 7:32 AM

Post #2 of 10 (4365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aryan8277] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
I do not have an issue like yours but a friend of mine did and really do not know the reason why the dog was off it's food. What he did was when his dog go to sniff his bowl of food he takes it away and this happen for a whole week. Ok, the second day the dog had two mouth full then stop, he took the bowl away, third day the dog just took one mouth full as it was going to take it's second mouth he took it away. It was lossing weight but he kept it going for six days but by the seventh day the dog was gulping down it's food and this was eight months ago. If you think this is cruel, just note a whelping bitch goes without food for a whole week and some more. My dob bitch did not take food for four days while nursing her pups. So, if you are willing try that but if it does not look good you better get your dog to another vet and get it scan.

Good luck.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 10:15 PM

Post #3 of 10 (4010 views)
Shortcut

what PSY said is usable, but if it's a puppy then it might be a problem. my pup had this problem a few days ago. first 2 days he was so starved that he vomitted all his food as soon as he ate them. he got so weak that he could barely stand up and developed hypoglycemia. low sugar lvl in the blood. so starving won't work if it's a pup.

if you intend to starve your dog to make him eat, do administer some nutrical.

alternative i've found, my pup will fight for food (what big brother eats I want to eat). he NEVER touches kibbles. he will eat all the can food and spit out the kibbles. put recently i caught him doing this, when my older maltese eats, the pup will try to force into his bowl to eat too. so now, to get to pup to eat without any can food, all i got to do is use my maltese as bait, move his head into the bowl, and the puppy will dive in. so far it works and hope that he'll learn to eat kibbles only. not the best alternative but it works.

remember = picky eaters are not born

if it makes u feel better sometimes my maltese doesn't finish his food either. i just take the food back and in front of him, making sure he sees what i'm doing, pour away his food. then put the empty bowl back for him. it used to cause him to panic. but now not anymore. he used to eat 2 cups a meal, but now, he does 1 cup. seems that it's normal. their needs becomes less apparently. this was seen with my maltese, my moms, and my sister's. so no concern for me. maybe urs could be same case? just watch his weight and try what PSY said.

Good Luck!

aryan8277
Dog Kichi

Oct 24, 2007, 10:45 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown SO SAD ... TO INFORM YOU ALL THAT MY BEAGLE GOT STOLEN 2 WEEKS BACK. 2 WONDERFUL YEARS WITH HIM AND GOT STOLEN.... MY WIFE AND I QUITE SADDNED FOR THIS ....

zephyros
Canine Addict

Oct 24, 2007, 10:46 PM

Post #5 of 10 (4005 views)
Shortcut

Shocked sorry to hear that.

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 1, 2008, 11:25 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3668 views)
Shortcut

sad to hear that... poor little thing get separated from his master... do you stick the poster all over the place...? just in case someone saw your beagle, they can contact you...

erm... about the eating behaviour... its actually normal.. dogs some time maybe a bit picky on food... last time i feed my shiro with purina biscuit... then later on give him try cesar (all kind of meat) mix with rice... then he never eat purina again... then only eat the meat mixed rice... then got one day... busy with my assignment then forget to cook rice for him... so just give him eat the meat only... then from that day onwards, he never eat rice and biscuit... he only eat meat... haih... he rather starve also dun want to eat biscuit and rice....Unsure

but there is still percentage that it isn't about bad eating behaviour... sometime its really because he's sick...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 2, 2008, 7:35 PM

Post #7 of 10 (3608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Your pup is quite spoilt i can say.. Never change the food unless there is a valid reason for it. for me i will starve my dog if they dun wanna eat. they can go till 3-4 days without eating just need to make sure there is plenty of water. My dog sun choose whatever i put down they must eat or there will be no food..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 2, 2008, 11:31 PM

Post #8 of 10 (3595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

haih... my parent love shiro so much... give him eat whatever he like to eat... what to do... my grandma keep on telling me, he so skinny must eat a lot of meat.... everyday cook meat for him... haih...

i have tried to starve him one week already... see him so skinny... feel so pity on him... he don't even drink much of water... it worries me... so i end starving him...

now try slowly lor... don't want to force him... now serve him biscuits and meat.... each day reducing a bit of meat and increasing the biscuits lo...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

(This post was edited by Veanne on Apr 2, 2008, 11:33 PM)

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 3, 2008, 1:27 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Veanne] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a good way to start reducing the amount of meat slowly.. If not one day everyone busy no meat he dun wanna eat then very ma fan lo. Or if you all go holiday come back see a thin dog.. Maybe u can try mincing the meat so easier to give smaller protion and trick him. Remember when starving cannot have treats also..

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 3, 2008, 1:44 AM

Post #10 of 10 (3579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] eating problem [In reply to] Can't Post

ya lo... he always give me a pity look when i only give him biscuits... haih... okay.... i'll try to mince the meat in a smaller portion... thanks for the advice....

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my