Frontline Spray

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Beanie82
Novice

May 23, 2007, 10:37 PM

Post #1 of 92 (12056 views)
Shortcut
Frontline Spray Can't Post

Anyone uses this on their toy breed doggies?

I have read that is is for doggies up to 22lbs and hence unsafe for puppies or dogs who have yet to reach that weight... Is that true?

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 24, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #2 of 92 (12047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beanie82] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

since your dog is toy dog, it is very small,
u can just spend some time e'day n catch all the ticks,
clean the sleeping place, sooner or later the ticks will be gone.

then u don't hv to use this chemical on your dog,

unless ur dog is 'infested' with ticks, which i don't think so.... Sly

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

chrisong
Doggyman

May 24, 2007, 5:38 AM

Post #3 of 92 (12044 views)
Shortcut

Supermutt are rightWink

Amanda85
Doggyman

May 24, 2007, 9:50 PM

Post #4 of 92 (12032 views)
Shortcut

frontline is a strong pesticide...for me, is d most effective so far..

but if ur toy dog spend her time indoor most of d time n onli go 2 clean places...u doesn't need it ...

unless u r into extreme sport like jungle trekking

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 15, 2007, 1:32 AM

Post #5 of 92 (11806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

hi guys... i know dis thread is like so old. sorry for bringing this up again, but i've juz brought my 7 mth old maltese to dr mervin in aman suria for general check-up last sunday. asked him about frontline spot-on. his opinion is that it's d safest tick solution out there in d market. milo is also only 3.4 kgs, less than 10 lbs. he thinks its fine and i've bought n used it. n den i saw this thread today. darn!

on a seperate issue, d ticks didn't die! i used as per instructions, 48 hours after last shower, and no shower at least 48 hours after. i applied between his shoulder blades on tues nite. checked last nite (2 days after liao), those little nasty blood suckers (literally!) are still around! picked a few teeny ones and when i placed them on tissue and close scrutiny hor, saw their legs move. eee.... squished them using fingernail over tissue as per old fashion method. how come dey dun die....???

d oth thing is, altho i m a constant tick picker (haha), d babies always pop up after i thought d coast is clear. so how leh? if pick oni and dun use chemical like frontline spot-on which is spose to prevent for 1-2 months (means when eggs hatch small buggers spose to DIE), den we will b forever picking rite? how to break cycle w/o using chemical wor? this tick thing is bugging me (no pun intended). dunno where he caught these little buggars from.

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 15, 2007, 6:11 AM

Post #6 of 92 (11800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J-J] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm... I only go to Dr Edmund in Bandar Puteri. He usually recommend wash with tick wash. Frontline also he does use and it is very effective. But u need to make sure your pup doesn't go to grass area also as there are ticks there. Other than squeezing the ticks on newspaper try droping it into kerosene oil it will die there. When he is bigger maybe u can try a tick collar.. I'm not sure about 48 hrs i always tot it is 72 hrs before and after..Do provide details on where dog goes and your house surroundings and your dog's outdoor actvities then the forumers can help you more.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

supermutts
K9 Senior

Sep 15, 2007, 6:29 PM

Post #7 of 92 (11787 views)
Shortcut

it takes some time, more than a few days to kill ticks, because the ticks needs to come in contact with the poison, and the drops will take time to spread thru the skin as well, so u can help by picking the ticks, and frontline does help as well, it is regarded as the safest yes, i think safer than tick collar, u don't want ur dog to wear some poison on the neck all the time right.

i tot ur small milo only stays indoor..?

i think u will need a few months to clear off this batch of ticks, lucky ur dog is small...

Don't Lost your dogs!!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 17, 2007, 5:51 PM

Post #8 of 92 (11765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

yup yup, milo is an indoors doggie. sorry 4got to mention earlier. he didn't step a paw outside between d time i applied frontline spot on n when i chcked 2 days later. we live in condo, so no garden oso. i got some potted plants around but milo doesn't seem very interested in d plants. he's more mental bout our socks, can't leave them alone. hahaha.

not like oni found 1 or 2 alive leh... d whole bunch of dem seem to b still alive! except for 1 or 2 dead bodies around. d rest af dem still look pretty healthy as of yesterday. milo's ticks immune to frontline or wat. lol.

neeways, to be on d safe side, i haven't showered him yet. it's day 7 since application. altho directions says shower n contact wif water will not affect effectiveness after 48 hrs i sked shower liao even harder for ticks to die. haha. was in pet shop yesterday noon. tempted to buy d frontline spray to 'kah yau' to the spot-on but felt like i'll be overdosing. no good lor... so now juz checking n picking n hoping d bloodsuckers will die soon!

1 last thing - how often u all reapply d spot-on wor? directions says 1 month for some bugs, 2 months for other types of bugs. i dun even kno his bugs is what type - so on d safe side, do 3 applications 1.5 months apart (take median ma... Cool)???

supermutts
K9 Senior

Sep 17, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #9 of 92 (11762 views)
Shortcut

wah u still remember median... haha..

yea you should con't picking, and follow the instructions on the spot on for re-application.
the spray does seem to be like overdosing cos its the same thing in a big bottle.

the bugs on milo should be ticks..... get some pics online to verify.....

Don't Lost your dogs!!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 17, 2007, 10:40 PM

Post #10 of 92 (11755 views)
Shortcut

kakaka... ya oo... can't forget median even if i wanted to. SPM got median, STPM got median, uni got median, post uni oso got median! lol.

havent looked up pics of ticks in net, but shld b. i was chcking wif oth collegues during lunch - they said, yup, the smaller looking fellas wit obvious legs, brownish-reddish kolor is d babies (cos d big ticks are almost black n look abit like a mini beetle). i thought mayb it could b some other species i.e. milo cld b having 2 types of bugs. so since all r ticks, den can follow directions for ticks oni.

hopefully none jumped on my bunny yet. d bunny doesnt really like d dog - they dun snuggle or watever. milo's too hyper for d bunny's liking. but still dey share d same house rite. if d bunny's infected i'll b having double trouble! n i dun even think spot-on can use for bunnies. jialat.

supermutts
K9 Senior

Sep 18, 2007, 5:50 AM

Post #11 of 92 (11738 views)
Shortcut

this post i took from the local vet forum.. by member gus gus. u can go there to check out the entire thread.

I've had that problem with my dogs before and it is very unpleasant because I was finding ticks all over the place - even on my clothes and I was getting bitten. I would like to share with you how I overcame the problem without the use of strong chemicals. This technique requires some diligence on your part.

If you go to a pharmacy like Guardian, you can buy eucalyptus oil which people use for steam inhalation. This is NOT essential oil which is a lot more expensive but just as effective for this purpose. The brand is Green Parrot or something like that but there may be more than one brand. Get a spray bottle, pour in some eucalyptus oil and top up with water - try a dilution of one part eucalyptus oil to five parts water. Spray the eucalyptus solution around your dog's sleeping area. Wash your dog's bedding (with detergent but without fabric softener) and while it is hanging out to dry, spray it well with the eucalyptus solution and let it dry thoroughly. Spray your floor with it as well as in the air - it smells good so it's not unpleasant. Ticks and other crawling insects don't like the eucalyptus oil and the solution will keep them away. Meanwhile, you can also use the eucalytus oil in a diffuser as an air freshener.

Meantime, you have to detick your dog regularly. Feeding your dog a small amount of garlic - a quarter teaspoon of chopped garlic cooked with vegetables and mixed into your dog's food every two or three days will also help to keep ticks at bay.

The tick infestation that my dogs had was so bad that I found ticks under the edging of my mattress. My dogs sleep in my bedroom with me, incidentally. I sprayed my mattress with the eucalyptus solution in the morning and let it dry out over the day. That night, I sprinkled the pure eucalytus oil on some tissues and put it under my bed sheets between the mattress and the bed sheets.

This technique can reduce ticks significantly in less than a week if you are diligent about deticking your dog manually everyday. Tick eggs can hatch in a day once laid - depending on the ambient temperature and it has been VERY HOT so they are hatching faster - and you have to kill the adults and young adults faster than they can lay eggs. You can break the lifecycle and overcome the tick problem as long as you are consistent in the deticking regime.

I can't stand the smell of Frontline and it's even worse when it's on my dogs and the smell is on my bedsheets. The eucalyptus solution smells better and isn't a chemical cocktail like Frontline. Please understand, I AM NOT BASHING FRONTLINE. I'm sure it's a good product - I just can't stand the smell which gave me constant headaches.

The tick infestation incident happened in 2004. Since then, my dogs haven't had any tick problems and they walk in grass everyday. The last time I found a tick on my dogs was months ago on one of the dogs. There were three ticks on one dog. I killed the ticks and haven't seen any again since. I don't need to spray the eucalytus solution anymore either - haven't had to use it in over two years. In fact, I had forgotten about the tick infestation problem I had had, until I read your post. I don't use any tick shampoos on my dogs either.

Years ago, my mother used to feed our dogs ox lungs - on someone's recommendation as a tick preventative - but the smell that permeated through the house as it was being boiled was just replusive. My mother cooked a batch for the dogs every few days for ten years! It did work and reduce ticks significantly but not as effectively as the eucalytus spray. The dogs enjoyed it immensely though - perhaps you can try combining the ox lungs with the vegetables and garlic for an internal treatment and the eucalyptus solution as an external treatment.

I hope this helps. Your poor puppy - ticks are a horrible itchy problem AND detrimental to health.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

(This post was edited by supermutts on Sep 18, 2007, 6:16 AM)

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2007, 6:00 PM

Post #12 of 92 (11719 views)
Shortcut

eucalyptus oil! who wld've thought. Cool tqvm 4 re-posting that, supermutts. very good info. i bought d dettol antibacterial spray. i wipe his sleeping area with a wet cloth daily, lately been using d dettol thingi to spray after wiping. dun haf any idea if it's doing any good wif d ticks, but since i'm oredi spraying something, might as well change to eucalyptus oil + water solution as it's been proven to work. gonna go get some during lunch break.

found about half a dozen big big ticks on d floor around his sleeping area last nite. which i take as a good sign - means dey dropped off him i suppose? dey're not dead tho. mini movements, but still got movements. these suckers take a long time to die. squished dem n threw them in toilet bowl.

milo's not exactly super infested. for watever reason, most of d ticks are on his head. his body is more or less tick-free. juz dun wan it to turn into a real serious problem later so betta get rid of dem before d bugs do a full invation of d house. Pirate

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Sep 18, 2007, 8:27 PM

Post #13 of 92 (11709 views)
Shortcut

Frontline spot-on takes time to work. The bigger the tick, mai longer lor cos need to suck more poison mah. But it will work with time. This month u use, probably 50% cleared, next month once again, all gone. Then continue using to prevent them from coming back lor.

I'm trying to stretch to 2 months for my dogs now. reason cos I malas wanna put every month. Hahahahah then again one of my dogs absolutely hates the grass and rather laze on the marble floor than to go out under the hot sun. So chances of him getting ticks and fleas is low. The other one is my main worry lah...he treats the grass as his bedding.... Crazy really can pengsan mann.... if I find a tick on Rascal, I sure know come from Gizmo liao! Tongue

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2007, 11:10 PM

Post #14 of 92 (11700 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

OIC... no wonder ler. i tot frontline spot-on is like kheng chow poison. tot all d bugs will die on contact. hahaha. expectations too high. Blush no wonder now oni i see some dropping off ler. earlier like no effect at all.

steffy, not only a matter of malas or not malas. also expensive ler. rm62 for 3 little tube thingis... err... rm20+ each application wor. stretching it to once is 2 mths is goot idea for maintainence purposes. but for milo still hafta use once a mth until he all clear 1st.

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 18, 2007, 11:19 PM

Post #15 of 92 (11699 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If you go to a pharmacy like Guardian, you can buy eucalyptus oil which people use for steam inhalation. This is NOT essential oil which is a lot more expensive but just as effective for this purpose. The brand is Green Parrot or something like that but there may be more than one brand.

found it oredi. Smile got it at caring pharmacy, sri hartamas shopping center during lunch. parrot brand, rm8.50 for a 56ml botol. those bloodsuckers at home watch out tonite. muahahahahahaa...

supermutts
K9 Senior

Sep 18, 2007, 11:59 PM

Post #16 of 92 (11698 views)
Shortcut

actually in frontline, there is this toxic chemical called fipronil,
and this thing is actually " keng chow " because it doesn't kill immediately on contact, any bugs who gets it will have time to mingle with other bugs and other bugs will die soon after being in contact with the 1st bug, even if they touch its faeces.

that is y this fipronil is being used to kill roaches, termites, ants, etc.
And u can just buy the frontline spray to kill termites yourself, instead of hiring pest control... haha for those DIY enthusiast...
spray them on lipas, all their frens/ families/ cucu will die.

and this fipronil has its own controversy as well, because, no extensive research has been concluded whether it is harmful to human.

this article below states that, they coat the seeds of plants with fipronil and it will protect the plant for a certain time until it flowers. u see from a seed, it grows into a plant and the chemical still works... and they claim that the bees who touches the pollen are all killed....
Pirate

http://www.mindfully.org/...Kills-Bees4mar04.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil

http://www.pestproducts.com/fipronil.htm

http://www.redmap.co.uk/...bout/html/facts.html

Don't Lost your dogs!!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 19, 2007, 12:19 AM

Post #17 of 92 (11696 views)
Shortcut

waaa... mutt ah, u hv really done ur research.

dis fipronil sounds like d semut poison i use. dunno wats d name - it's in a small silver foil packet, look like bread/cake crumbs. can get fr any chinese medicine shop. leave some in d semut trail, dey will wanna bring home n makan n den dey wil die. n allegedly d oth semut wil eat d dead semut body, and d oth semut oso will die. very soon whole semut colony gone! i use dis whenever i see any semut around. alwaz works (but ofcourse muz make sure oth pets in d hse wil not accidentally ter-makan dis stuf!!!). dis fipronil sounds like dis semut poison leh. goot stuff!

supermutts
K9 Senior

Sep 19, 2007, 12:34 AM

Post #18 of 92 (11693 views)
Shortcut

if this ubat semut is made in china,,...,

they might have bought fipronil in bulk then make their own
super ubat semut with it..... haha...

Don't Lost your dogs!!

J-J
Dog Kichi

Sep 19, 2007, 12:41 AM

Post #19 of 92 (11692 views)
Shortcut

hahahahaha... yalor mutt. muz b fr china! cos got lotsa chinese characters on d packaging dat i dun understand (sorry la, when primary skool dat time nvr pay attention in mandarin tuition klass - now dunno how to read!!! lol). watever it is, it works damn well. hehe.

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Sep 19, 2007, 6:44 PM

Post #20 of 92 (11677 views)
Shortcut

yup yup...its toxic thats why its categorised mah...i donnu what class already lah, II or IV. But I guess it's still a safer choice as what some of friends suggested. U can get it from any hardware stores. Comes in sachet. Mix with like gallons of water and bath ur dog with it. That one they use on cows and horses too mannn.....they say when u bath ur dog with that, u can literally see all the ticks jumping off from the body. Crazy

And that's why during application, they ask u to put between the shoulder blades. An area where the dogs cant do a acrobatic stunt and try to lick it off. Also try not to touch ur dog until the application is dry lor.

From the many sources of what I've read and know about pesticides, many pesticides are made to target only certain receptors of the body which belongs specifically to only one species or genus and will pose no danger at all to many of the others. Of course, in all toxins, when ingested in megavolume, sure it can kill anything lah. Cos most of it will either be too alkaline or too acidic for many living beings.

I'm sure fipronil was developed to kill pests specially fleas and ticks. But along the way, it is also hazardous to some other species. If its highly toxic in bees, I'm sure there are warnings stating that it should not be use in vegetation and flowers and all.

Wahh if it really works for lipas, then I shall get one and pour down my office's squatting toilet! I already wasted donnu how many cans of morten spray for roaches and they still keep crawling back up especially when it rains! Pirate Hmmm but how do I bill my company for it. wait they see a receipt from pet shop, I mai cannot claim? Pirate

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

yoko_zimi
Dog Kichi

Nov 27, 2007, 10:17 PM

Post #21 of 92 (11352 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mutts.. have you tried the eucalyptus oil already? how was it? it works to kill flea / ticks????? did u spray on ur pup body ??

supermutts
K9 Senior

Nov 28, 2007, 1:38 AM

Post #22 of 92 (11341 views)
Shortcut
Re: [all] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

no ler, i haven't cos my mutts are tick free,

u have to as J-J :)

Don't Lost your dogs!!

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 28, 2007, 5:55 PM

Post #23 of 92 (11330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yoko_zimi] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

I have heard that the eucalyptus oil is effective but the furkids dun like it. Think it irritates them. Have another tick solution but i also dunno what chemical is that. It smells like bayticol. A pet shop sold me that. It's real effective but must be sprayed on a hot sunny day and pets are not suppose to drink it. Can only let our pet out after 3 hours. Mosquitos, ants and fleas also run.. I use it on the porch the ticks there died in 15 minutes.. Need to be repeated monthly..

yoko_zimi
Dog Kichi

Nov 28, 2007, 6:26 PM

Post #24 of 92 (11326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acsyen] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Acsyen,

What the product is that? wer can get it?

Btw, how to use? is it like frontline spray on the furkid after bath ???

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 28, 2007, 7:28 PM

Post #25 of 92 (11323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yoko_zimi] Frontline Spray [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

That product has no name wan le. I got it from a pet shop in ss2. Sea Park pet shop.They dun simply sell it as it should not be consumed by our pets. It is applied to the surroundings not on the pets. But it is not harmful if it's applied on them but must be washed of fast. It's mixed 3 caps to 1 litres of water. And sprayed under the hot sun and wait till 3 hours later only can let our furkids out.

Frontline is to be sprayed 3 days after bath or at least 3 days before bath. Another option is to try Kiltix tick collar it's effective also. For both of these solutions. Use Bayticol tick wash and wash your furkid first then only put the collar or Frontline on after 3 days.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my