Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Breeder's Choice dog food for hips problem.

kitkitkit
Novice

May 23, 2007, 7:47 PM

Post #1 of 3 (7786 views)
Shortcut
Breeder's Choice dog food for hips problem. Can't Post

Hi friends,

my gsd is currently facing difficulties in Hip Dysplasia ,about 1 inch gap for both hips, any1 knows whether the Breeder's Choice (Active Care Lamb and rice formula) is a good food overall for its health as well?

i have tried j/d food recommended b4, but its tasteless(my pet breeders say so, and it always eats its poo each time it consumes this product!) and this product is expensive..

Hope switching to Breeder's Choice (Active Care Lamb and rice formula), high in glucosamine, but never tried b4...any one have any idea?..Frown

Thank you.

meyueli
Novice

Jul 8, 2007, 5:37 PM

Post #2 of 3 (7556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitkitkit] Breeder's Choice dog food for hips problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

It doesn't matter what food you put your dog on. The most important thing for a dog with Hip Dysplasia is to control his/her weight. NEVER let your dog become fat. This will put a lot of strain on your dog's joints, and will aggravate the joint problems.

As to whether Breeder's Choice food is good for overall health (do you mean Avoderm), I think the food is ok. I have done a lot of research about dog food, and for me personally, the best dog foods are Canidae, California Natural, Innova or even Eagle Pack Holistic. These are available in various pet shops in Malaysia. Do some research on how to judge a dog's food - learn how to identify the ingredients in the dog food, read about nutrition levels and etc. A useful website is:
www.dogfoodproject.com

This website is NOT affliated with any brand at all. So the reviews are not bias.

You will soon be able to judge for yourself whether a particular dog food is good for your fella Smile

For Glucosamine supplements, no matter how much there is included in your dog's food, it is not enough for a dog with Hip Dysplaysia. An adult dog will need 500mg of Glucosamine HCL TWO times a day. The best joint supplement is a combination of Glucosamine HCL and Chondroitin Sulfate. Where to get these from? Talk to your vet Tongue

kitconnie78
ALPHA

Jul 27, 2007, 9:46 AM

Post #3 of 3 (7392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kitkitkit] Breeder's Choice dog food for hips problem. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is best for the dog to go for surgery. Feeding food with high glucosamine will not fix the problem but just maintain it and doesn't make it worse. Surgery is the only corrective action.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
|<('.'.)>
| (._0)
| ? , ":./
| ;];]c_)
Cool kitconnie78 is the owner of Blush Bibi, Smile Eden, Minmin (Silky Terrier), Tongue Momo (M. Schnaunzer) Laugh Gobi (pug) Sly Magic (Border Collie) and Frown Ariel

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my