Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog's Rights and Protection:
Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends

cherwith
Novice

May 21, 2007, 12:59 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2344 views)
Shortcut
Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends Can't Post

Hi there, like many of you I also leave on a non-landed property. Like many out there I wonder why pets are not allowed in the apartments? Perhaps lack of space? Perhaps prejudice over doggies? But the question is what can be done? We shouldn't be subjected to such laws especially since dogs do not cause no harm to other people when they are in our space. Yes perhaps due to some irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to irritate or annoy other neighbors the whole community has to suffer. But I belief we should suffer no more, there is a malay proverb i think which says that due to the one drop of milk the whole bottle is spoil should not apply.
Thus, I urge all those who care for dogs in apartment or any dog lovers to come up and fight for the rights of your dogs. I read once that the citizens of San Francisco whom were not allowed t o keep pets in their apartments wrote a petition and try to change the laws. Why can't we try? Some may say it will never work. But trying never hurts right????????????? So what say you?

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 21, 2007, 9:55 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherwith] Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe u could start with your apartment, find out other dog keeper residents(if any)

and start writing to the management and the papers...

maybe it could be in the headlines and starts a revolution.....Laugh

or the management will tell you, they will opt for democracy and ask all the residents to vote,

i think u'll know the result....

or u could be the first developer to built apartments/condos only for dog owners.

first of its kind in bolehland??

i think some kinda akta bangunan will prevent you from doing this.... ??

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

cherwith
Novice

May 23, 2007, 9:18 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

hey... i guess you are right..but the biggest problem I guess is that a lot of people like to complain and nag about all this kind of stuff.But when you bring up this kind of matter how many are actually willing to come forward. They rather keep it hush hush to avoid problems so to speak..That's why I posted here.Because so far I realize most people are not willing to come up or petition for anything in this manner. I can write...Yes that I can do but other than that in terms of getting people well it looks bleak..But wont stop me from trying.Perhaps I'm young..some might say I'm naive thatus why I m so pumped up about all this things but hell if we don't fight for our rights Who WILL?????yA perhaps for sometime we can quietly keep our dogs without the knowledge of management or they might close their eyes but if they decide to really clampdown what are all this furkids owners going to do then? It will be too late at that point right? If something like the Internet can be frowned upon by the government by trying to censor blogs etc what makes us think doggies aren't next.Furthermore.dogs aren't exactly the favorite sort of animals in Malaysia.Jst speaking my mind, I hope I did not offend anyone.

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 23, 2007, 7:06 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherwith] Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

keeping a pet in a condo/apt i don't think its your/anyone's right.

because u agreed to all the rules before u purchase the home.

and u are sharing the condo with so many other tenants,
your dog might or might not make noise, but rules is still rules.

even in the USA , the land of all the 'rights', theres still rules to follow...

best way is to earn more money and get a landed home.

Don't Lost your dogs!!

cherwith
Novice

May 24, 2007, 12:51 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [supermutts] Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong. I was not trying to imply that it is right to keep dogs in the apartment under the present laws. That is why I suggested that dog lovers come together to get the laws changed or at least revised.Talking about rights, we do have rights providing we know how to execute them. Nothing wrong with searching for ways to get my rights.

You say you did agree to the rules before purchasing the home. At present I am not keeping any pets in my apartment neither have I agreed to any rules that forbid them yet anyways. That is why I'm trying to find out, do my research try to change things so that I do not go against the laws of the country. Duh..
I do realize that I'm sharing the condo with other tenants, I do realize that the space in my condo is mine to do as I wish and like as long as I do not inconvenience my neighbors or fellow residents. If I'm not mistaken even in the strata titles there are loopholes concerning keeping pets.

I'm not suggesting either that living in the US or other European countries is any better. It ain't a bed of roses either, I do realize that it has its own shortcomings.But I'm not talking about the US, it doesn't concern me at the moment. I'm concerned about what is happening here at my homeland and what I can do about it. Rules are rules..But they are man-made and can always be revised if done through proper channels it might be viable with the support of all. At the end of the day it might not even happen but it's okey. I can live with that fact that I at least tried to change conditions of the present state of things.

Easier said than done. Earn more money and get a landed home.Try living in Penang. Look at the property prices, not everyone has the means to pay 400k and above for landed properties. If that the case your social status will truly matter if you'd like to care for a dog. That would be truly sad, as if to say poorer people are not meant to care for pets. But then again that's my problem.

Do remember that nothing exist in a vacuum. Things are not what they seem most often. Rules will be rules..I belief with proper guidelines sharing the condo with other tenants whom have pets will not be a big issue.

Just my thoughts...

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 24, 2007, 6:57 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2298 views)
Shortcut

cherwith, i understand ur intentions,

think it this way,
lets say, ppl are allowed to keep dogs in apt/condo.

as u know, not all dog owners are responsible, then their dogs will make noise disturbing neighbors etc, shitting at the lobby.... etc .

so what is ur suggestion? fine them? kick them out? educate them?

Don't Lost your dogs!!

cherwith
Novice

May 24, 2007, 11:11 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Supermutts,
I understand that an ideal situation might not exist and yes the possibilities of having those whom go against the grain, who fail to abide to responsible pet ownership will definitely exist. What is my suggestion? Well, I have a few whether you and other will find it viable is a whole different story altogether. Perhaps a signing of a contract stating that the owner will be responsible for its pets be it a dog, cat etc as how owners are responsible not to put their radio too loud, cause a nuisance by throwing items out of their apartments, renovation after hours etc. Owners will also be responsible for the actions of their dogs in case of dog poop and as you mention as how a parent is responsible for the actions of his or her child. So if the dog is found to have damaged property, it will be the owner responsibility to bear the cost and other actions will have to be borne by the owner .Those who do not abide by the contract, breaches the contract thus action will be taken.(thus their rights no longer apply) It has been done before, probably not in Malaysia but in other countries that were fighting for the right to keep pets in apartments. Furthermore when it comes to dog in apartment perhaps bigger breed dogs are not suitable so perhaps rule stating how many or how big a dog you can keep (for the well-being of the pet) can be laid down. Ground rules have to be laid down or chaos will occur, that I'm aware of.
We have to remember we do not have the luxury of living in an idealistic world may it be concerning dogs in apartment or other issues.

Just my thoughts ...

PangurBan
Old Kaki

May 24, 2007, 4:58 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2289 views)
Shortcut

The problems you cite are by no means confined to high rise properties. An irresponsible dog keeper is an irresponsible dog keeper and will be a nuisance to his neighbours no matter whether he lives in a high rise or in a terrace or even in a stand-alone house with land around it.

Which would you rather have as a neighbour?

1 A pekingese in the flat next door that lets out the occasional woof
2 A beagle in the front yard of the terrace next door that howls and barks at every passerby day and night and has this cute habit of letting loose a stream of pee right at the chicken wire fence that separates your driveway from the neighbour's
3 Two mongrels tied up in the front yard of the semi-D next door that barks all the time that are let out every night and morning to pee and poo on the street and which seem to have predilection for doing it right in front of your gate; the owner of course, NEVER picks up after the dogs

cherwith
Novice

May 25, 2007, 11:33 AM

Post #9 of 9 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PangurBan] Making it Legal:Raring of Our Four=Legged Friends [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally someone who looks at the bigger picture.Right,on!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my