Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Tick fever

stars
Novice

May 18, 2007, 1:13 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Tick fever Can't Post

I thought this information might be useful to many dog owners whose dogs are playing on grass. Early detection and treatment is important...

please see following url on tick fever

http://www.mirage-samoyeds.com/tick.htm#2.

anyone knows whether there is any difference between ocurrence of tick fever in other countries like USA,Japan,Singapore etc from Malaysia? what is colorado tick fever? is it same as the local tick fever?

supermutts
K9 Senior

May 18, 2007, 5:04 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stars] Tick fever [In reply to] Can't Post

i know almost all dogs will have ticks some time in their life,
but most of the ticks dun carry tick fever,
else all the dogs in my kampung will be long dead.... Cool

No Buying! No Selling! No Breeding!

Don't Lost your dogs!!
Please make sure they are safe at home!

nowiuh
Novice

May 24, 2007, 7:11 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stars] Tick fever [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi stars,

Thank you for sharing the article. It is very informative and helpful.

Hi super mutt,

Though it may not be common, but tick fever do happen.

Just to share - about 1 month ago, my GR (then 7 months old) showed the following symptom:

- sneezing and clear nasal discharge from his nose (constantly)

- vomiting, mostly his food (and later yellow bile after he refused to eat anymore)

- he has bleeding under skin or very reddish rashes at the stomach area near to his hind legs

- he has blood clotting problem

- weight loss (3KG)

- nosebleed

We rushed him to the vet immediately when he start nosebleeding. He was admitted for 4 days in the vet clinic under IV fluids (with amino asid for his blood loss) as he cannot consume his own food and drink without vomiting. The vet had some difficulty in performing a diagnosis on him as the symptom was quite common. Originally suspected as poisoning, later as intestine blockage. The vet gave him 3 injections, perform ultrasound and finally bloodtest on him. The bloodtest shown low RBC, WBC and platelet count. The rest - kidney and liver functions are normal. Another bloodtest was done to check for blood parasite and finally found sparse blood parasite on him. Vet said this is tranmitted by ticks and 2 more injection was given to treat it. He recovered.

My vet told me that some dogs can be infested heavily with ticks and may never faced this problem at all. Some, unfortunately like my GR, just caught it with one or two ticks. My GR is a indoor dog and is treated with Frontline spot-on monthly. I seldom bring it to grassy area (usually we walk at the tar road) except for his weekly sunday obedience class. Immediately after the class, I will bathe him and check for ticks when we get home. Even with this, he still got the tick fever.

Before this happening, I didn't even know anything about tick fever, just that the ticks are annoying pest. However, after the incident, I started finding out more and read on it. I think it is a good thing to learn and be more aware so that we can better protect our precious furry friends. So, thanks for the informative article and hope others can also share their knowledge on tick fever and tick control as well

Regards.

shapeshifter

Mar 25, 2008, 7:19 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nowiuh] Tick fever [In reply to] Can't Post

My 11 yr old Japanese Spitz died from Ehrlichiosis, one of the tick-borne diseases.

She did not have any ticks.

Stupid 1st vet didn't do a blood test and told us she had arthritis.

She died the following week.

Cried like a baby.
~ A dog is the only one who will love you more than you love yourself~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my