1st or 2nd vaccination?

Beanie82
Novice

May 15, 2007, 7:39 PM

Post #1 of 10 (6620 views)
Shortcut
1st or 2nd vaccination? Can't Post

Hey guys... Smile

I have a question here and was wondering if some of you could help me out.

I brought my puppy home at 12 weeks old. Then she had already gotten her 1st vaccination... Week after I brought her home, I took her to the vet for 2nd vaccination but she was not well (coughing and sneezing) hence it was not done. So it dragged on until now, she is 17 weeks old and still has not gotten her 2nd vaccination.

The vet adviced me to give her the 1st vaccination again as the one on her vaccination card was not properly authorised by a vet hence she is afraid it might not be reliable. Is that necessary (to give the 1st vaccination again)? Or should I just proceed with the 2nd vaccination?

chrisong
Doggyman

May 15, 2007, 7:52 PM

Post #2 of 10 (6616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beanie82] 1st or 2nd vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just in case your pup didn't get the 1st vaccination.

You can go back and take the 1st vaccination again then follow by 2nd & 3rd. It will not harm your pup.

Beanie82
Novice

May 15, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #3 of 10 (6611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] 1st or 2nd vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris,

Is she not too old to get the first vaccination again? She is 17 weeks now...

Is it possible to do 2 vaccinations at one go and if not, then what should be the desirable time gap?

coffee

May 16, 2007, 3:46 AM

Post #4 of 10 (6607 views)
Shortcut

Hello. Vaccination should be followed by booster 3-4 weeks later depending which vaccine. Generally if the vaccine interval is more than 6 weeks, the efficacy or effectiveness is not the best. That's why your vet advice you to redo the vaccination.

No you can't do the vaccination 2 doses together as the load of virus might be too high. It is ok to just give 2 vaccination from now on because the risk of your dog is already 17 weeks old (it is recommended to for puppy to have complete vaccination by 16 weeks). But if you are very very worried, just follow your vet's advice and redo the vaccination. One extra vaccine will not cause your dog to develop kidney failure or put a hole in your wallet. But if it is me, I will just do 2. But that's just me.

Beanie82
Novice

May 16, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #5 of 10 (6604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coffee] 1st or 2nd vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Coffee,

What risk do you mean?

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 17, 2007, 6:53 PM

Post #6 of 10 (6593 views)
Shortcut

Agree with Chrisong,

You need to start over since the last shot was not properly done. It is VERY important to get them fully vaccinated. Parvo doesn't care if they only have one shot it can still attack. Until they are fully boostered they dont have full protection from diseases. So keep your dog away from public places like parks or yards of dogs you dont know their shot history. Parvo can stay in the environment for up to 6 months I have been told.

Take the dog in for shots. We don't know exactly when the antibodies wear off in a particular puppy, and we don't want the pup to be unprotected for any longer than necessary, so we give a series of shots to minimize the risk. It is less expensive and time consuming to vaccinate them now than it is to have to treat for parvo or something else later.

Good luck

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

coffee

May 17, 2007, 11:17 PM

Post #7 of 10 (6586 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, stupid me, I left out a whole sentence. I meant the risk of interference from the mother's antibody is minimal at this age. So I think it is quite safe to vaccinate 2 only. If you are worry go for better vaccine like 9 in 1 or 10 in 1, or even do 3 vaccine like what your vet told. Nothing serious if you ask me. But the risk of vaccine reaction is slightly higher when vaccinate 3 as compare to 2. Still not that high because vaccination reaction happen 1 in a few thousand.

ahling83
Novice

May 18, 2007, 7:01 PM

Post #8 of 10 (6578 views)
Shortcut

Sorry for my stupid questions. I just adopted one Adult Dog. So, I am not sure whether the previous owner is vaccined her or not. Then, should I bring her for vaccination?

Beanie82
Novice

May 21, 2007, 11:11 PM

Post #9 of 10 (6550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] 1st or 2nd vaccination? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your advice. Smile

The vet recommended I give her 2 10 in 1 jabs... And followed by a 8 in 1 or 9 in 1 (I can't remember which), which is optional if I want her to be fully protected.

Beanie82
Novice

May 21, 2007, 11:13 PM

Post #10 of 10 (6549 views)
Shortcut

The vet said it is safe to get 2 jabs only but not guarantees (as mentioned above)... So to be really sure get 3. I can bring her out after the second jab though! Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my