Hyper Agressive One...

kennycheun
New User

May 2, 2007, 8:25 AM

Post #1 of 8 (7646 views)
Shortcut
Hyper Agressive One... Can't Post

Hi there ,

I have just got an American Cocker Spaniel one month ago. He is almost three months old now. His name is Sebastian. What i realized is that he is a hyper aggressive doggie. Once he is out from the cage, he will be start running around the whole house like mad fellow non-stop until you put him back to the cage. He basically bites everything he could possibly see, even my fingers. I just can't calm him down. And he eats hyper fast, once the food is served, he will get it finish within a minute. I heard that cocker spaniel is a friendly and calm dog, but mine was just hyper active. I was wondering is it because the way i am handling him is wrong? Or it just simply normal for a puppy? He will eventually become mature as he grows up.

I admit that i did not spend a lot of time with him, i will get him breakfast in the morning. Then release him for awhile to run about 30 mins. Then i will go to work and back in the evening. Then will play with him for awhile. Then get him dinner, and before i sleep, will play with him again. Other than that, he is all the time in the cage.

I have not seen such aggressive doggie before... just can stop running and playing. very energetic...

I really need some advice urgently to handle him before it is too late...

Thank you for all your precious advice...

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 2, 2007, 7:04 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kennycheun] Hyper Agressive One... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kenny,

Your puppy is still young and might behave like a 'normal' puppy too. However, since you have noticed that he is going a little bit over the top, you as a dog owner have to set that same example for your dog for now on.

You are not wrong, you just need a little bit more effort. He has to be taught what is acceptable behavior and what is not. So this is where TRAINING, TIMETABLE and EXERCISE come in. Just as your dad has set rules for you, you have to set a leadership for your pup.

Your pup doesn't need to live stray in the house but for his safety he must have some kind of enjoyment when he is being left alone. Whether in the crate or small confined area, make sure you give him enough water, toys- something he could play with. Puppy is teething therefore he likes to chew to occupy his time. Give him a squeeky toy before you leave home. If you could, turn the radio slightly or get a ticking clock so that the 'sound' could calm his down and wont make him lonely. Remember he is just a puppy and he needs to feel save alone. Someone told me ticking clock reminds the puppy to his mum's heartbeat!

Then, the biggest thing is to exercise him when you at home. Whether you like it or not, he needs to exercise! I always tell people- a tired dog is a good dog. Plus, it is easy to train a tired dog. Make sure you allocate your time of supervised exercise to makes the puppy happy and settle down. It includes walking on short leash 15 -30 minutes everyday around the neighbor/street. Let him out walking, running, fetching, sniffing and playing on the grass or soil. Remember, a bird is supposed to fly, a fish is supposed to swim and a dog is supposed to walk. It seems to me your dog has developed what is known as 'cabin fever'. He has accumulated the negative energy inside and frustration. That's why he shows tantrum. You would be nutty too with this grounded confinement everyday. You could say NO to him but it is only for the short-term solution.

Having a puppy is a commitment. It is like having a toddler. If you want to be happy and a proud dog owner, you have to sacrifice time, energy and money to have a well- balanced good dog. Sometimes people change their lifestyle to suit their dog. Above all, it's also included obedience training! However, before you start thinking about the obedience training, I suggest you find ways to help him settle down at home with or without you.

One day, you will see a big change in your dog's behavior if you apply the right training, timetable and obedience for him. Finally, dont forget it takes a lot of time, few adjustments and patient.

Good luck.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on May 2, 2007, 7:47 PM)

kennycheun
New User

May 4, 2007, 8:25 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] Hyper Agressive One... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Lady Eloise,

Thank you so much for your advice. And it seems that it is working already. Since he is still not fully vaccinated yet, i can only walk him with the leash inside the house. And then i will play with him for an hour and make sure he gets tired. And he is now more calm and not so hyper. But he gets excited so easily, whenever there is someone else came to the house, he will be so excited and running around non-stop. He is quite small in size and he will start squeezing around everybody...Laugh

Another matter is his eating behaviour, is it true that puppy eats very fast and non-stop licking up their food until they emptied the bowl? I am afraid he eats too fast and choke himself. Is he too hungry? I am feeding him twice a day, 10 hours between his meal. is it ok? Or too long? Or i need to feed him 3 times or more a day, since he is a puppy now and needs to eat a lot.

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

May 15, 2007, 8:03 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7525 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi Lady Eloise,

Thank you so much for your advice. And it seems that it is working already. Since he is still not fully vaccinated yet, i can only walk him with the leash inside the house. And then i will play with him for an hour and make sure he gets tired. And he is now more calm and not so hyper. But he gets excited so easily, whenever there is someone else came to the house, he will be so excited and running around non-stop. He is quite small in size and he will start squeezing around everybody...Laugh

Another matter is his eating behaviour, is it true that puppy eats very fast and non-stop licking up their food until they emptied the bowl? I am afraid he eats too fast and choke himself. Is he too hungry? I am feeding him twice a day, 10 hours between his meal. is it ok? Or too long? Or i need to feed him 3 times or more a day, since he is a puppy now and needs to eat a lot.

Right on!!!

At four months, they (puppies) can start eating 2wice a day and that should be continue for the rest of their life.

Dogs don't normally chew there food, but you can control how fast he eats it by placing/mixing his food in a large container and putting few big tennis balls or ping pong that he can't swallow in with the food. What that does is it makes the dog go slow to find the food and search through the balls. Not only will it slow him down it will also act as a brain activity. You could also try feeding very small meal all through the day maybe 3-4 if you afraid he might choke or puke.

Try hand feed him by grabbing his food bit by bit with your hand/feast and let him sniff 1st. Then open your palm and if he tries to snatch and eat it, close your palm and say OFF command . Then, ask him to TAKE IT slowly. It is good to avoid snatching and snapping your fingers that could hurt especially kids who try to give him treats later when he grows older. Keep in mind that he's just an animal, and they have their primal instinct to eat and survive. You could redirect his behavior and turn to positive training. Dogs are possessive when it comes to their food. It's their nature.

Sneezing and over excitement are 'normal' for dogs too. If it bothers you and your guests, tell him by saying NO in stern voice (not yell) as soon as he approaches someone and ask him to SIT and STAY- by showing a treat to his face till he lower down his body. Immediately after he obeys your command, reward with treats and say GOOD SIT/GOOD BOY by rubbing his head. He will learn to be nice/polite eventually after 5-10 times.

If I were you, I would start thinking about the basic obedience training and slowly introduce bit by bit. It is easier to train him while he is a pup. Dont wait after 6 months or over a year. Within a year the pup should be able to know their potty habits, simple basic commands, (Come, Sit, Stay, Off, Drop It, Quiet/Sheeesh), walk on leash and sleeping pattens. Also, socialization take him in the car, park, meeting people and other dogs, noise, road side, beach, water etc).

Enjoy your pup. Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on May 15, 2007, 8:15 AM)

iamskinn3r
New User

Nov 13, 2007, 7:39 AM

Post #5 of 8 (6967 views)
Shortcut

Hi, i'm new here. Nice to meet you guys.
as i'm not goin to open another thread coz i encountered the same experience as kennycheun so just post it here instead.

I got a pup, 2 months of age, a breed of Dalmation and Black Mongrel which given by my friend, named MIKI (みき)

Thou we work but we did spent more times like 1-2 hrs to be with HER in the morning and more at night when everyone came back around 7pm+ till midnite. We spent entire day with her during the weekends and she not even lock in the cage instead giving her an entire floor to run around in the house. I read the book she is categorised as HYPER.

But the question is not bout her personal freedom as we fully understand what a dog require. Problem is, when she dig the soil she will eat the roots of the plant or leaf or anything she curious to know which i really scare off. We try to assign command like NO!...clapping hand and grab her attention...but it wont work. So i have to grab watever she ate out from the mouth :( everytime

So, how can we prevent it? running open air without eating dangerous plants or objects. Shall we chain her when walk/run around or just let her run about without chain. Will roots and leaf effect her digestion? will roots and leaf cause diarrhea?

Lady Eloise hope you can throw me a 2 cents advise/experience. What i should do?

Hope to hear from you soon

P/s: so far MIKI understand SIT and STAY, but i fail to let her know what is NO :(

mickey123
Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2007, 12:35 AM

Post #6 of 8 (6860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iamskinn3r] Hyper Agressive One... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi, i'm new here. Nice to meet you guys.
as i'm not goin to open another thread coz i encountered the same experience as kennycheun so just post it here instead.

I got a pup, 2 months of age, a breed of Dalmation and Black Mongrel which given by my friend, named MIKI (みき)

Thou we work but we did spent more times like 1-2 hrs to be with HER in the morning and more at night when everyone came back around 7pm+ till midnite. We spent entire day with her during the weekends and she not even lock in the cage instead giving her an entire floor to run around in the house. I read the book she is categorised as HYPER.

But the question is not bout her personal freedom as we fully understand what a dog require. Problem is, when she dig the soil she will eat the roots of the plant or leaf or anything she curious to know which i really scare off. We try to assign command like NO!...clapping hand and grab her attention...but it wont work. So i have to grab watever she ate out from the mouth :( everytime

So, how can we prevent it? running open air without eating dangerous plants or objects. Shall we chain her when walk/run around or just let her run about without chain. Will roots and leaf effect her digestion? will roots and leaf cause diarrhea?

Lady Eloise hope you can throw me a 2 cents advise/experience. What i should do?

Hope to hear from you soon

P/s: so far MIKI understand SIT and STAY, but i fail to let her know what is NO :(

hi,

I have a 3 months old black lab.. she will eat anything that she's curious.. by the way, as I know they're young, so they did that.. like our baby (human) too, will put anything that grab in their hand, right? so, what we can do is keep our eyes on them. That's what I do.. cause I did read from a book that some plants might kill the doggie.. the breeder (the person that I bought my dog from) told us that one of her customer's 4 months old black labs died because of eating plant in the garden.. so, better be careful..

for the "no" command.. well, me too have the same problem, so can't give you my opinion.. sorry for that.. I reply this post just to let you know that "some plants might be dangerous to our puppy", so be careful.. :)

Jess_lee

Nov 24, 2007, 12:48 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mickey123] Hyper Agressive One... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, agreed with Mickey...some plants or flowers r poisoness.

My pup dig holes, bite my flowers and plants when we let him out in the garden. However, this habit stops when he's 5 months old. I think mayb he had get use with the environment and finish his exploring taskLaugh

So now I hardly c he go n kacau my plants already...pups r curious and cheeky..so I think that's normal with it, they will grew matured day by day.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Jan 9, 2008, 12:06 AM

Post #8 of 8 (6704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iamskinn3r] Hyper Agressive One... [In reply to] Can't Post

don't worry no biggy. pups will be pups...they do what they do best, give u a panic attack. if it can fit into their mouth, you can be sure you will find it in their mouth one way or another. prevention is the best cure, knowing your dog loves to dig, keep an eye out when it does. as soon as it does, get it's attention. call her name or just run up to her and tickle her. make her chase after u. don't let her carry on since u know she'll bite the roots etc. sometimes it's not the roots that's poisonous but the poison used to kill weeds or bugs that will get to you pup.

any pup being locked in the cage the whole day WILL be hyper. Any dog for that matter. some will even be destructive. mine will be so hyper..that his ears will shake as if he's intimidated. all you need to do is just play around, like a cat pouncing or something. make ur pup jump around run around. burn off the excess energy. it your pup gets too excited and starts bitting...you need some time-out. stop whatever you're doing, stand up and 100% ignore with 0 eye contact. that will start to fine-tune ur pup to what is acceptable and what is not.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my