Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
How to differentiate play & fight?

cindy_pebbles

Apr 19, 2007, 8:26 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2407 views)
Shortcut
How to differentiate play & fight? Can't Post

Hey Guys,
Need some advice over here... How do we know if two puppies or dogs are playing with each other or if they are fighting with each other? How to know if they do not like each other?
Jessie kept pulling Benji's moustache and leg furnishing and Benji pulak always try to kacau her by nipping her ears. I m worried for Jessie coz she is so tiny and Benji is kinda used to us playing rough with him...Sometimes, Jessie will bark at Benji and Benji will run away. Sometimes, Jessie pulak will chase Benji. , barking all the way...Benji will run and return back jumping over Jessie...Unsure SOmetimes they will just lay on the floor, but mouth-fighting (or kissing..haha) with each other. Sometimes pulak, Jessie will "Grrrrr.." at Benji. So far, Benji has never made any noise, just Jessie...
please, those with many dogs at home, teach me how to know if they are fighting or just playing. Thanks!

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

goofydip
Veteran

Apr 19, 2007, 11:19 PM

Post #2 of 8 (2399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] How to differentiate play & fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cindy,

i'm having the same problem like u every weekend when goofy and i go back hometown..scooby n goofy will chase non stop..running from living room till kitchen then return again!!! scooby mostly would knock goofy, or use his hand to kacau goofy..i wonder they r playing or fighting..but 'grrrr' won't happen between them...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 20, 2007, 7:20 AM

Post #3 of 8 (2388 views)
Shortcut

If you see blood on either one of your dogs that mean they are fighting

cindy_pebbles

Apr 20, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #4 of 8 (2377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [goofydip] How to differentiate play & fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Frown
Yeah, every morning when they both wake up, Jessie will be chasing Benji all over the house and Benji will run for cover and then somehow, chase her back. Jessie also kept pulling his moustache and leg furnishing, sometimes "grrrr" and bark (hi-pitched bark). Sometimes I realised she will lie on her back while "mouthing" Benji. So, I guess it's not a big deal right? Coz usually if dogs are fighting, they won't lie on their back right? Correct me if Im wrong. Anyway, i don't think benji will want to fight with Jessie coz he is not that kind but sometimes he is a bit kan-cheong so, might have hurt her in the way. As for Jessie, I am not sure of her character yet so I am not sure whether if she is the kind who likes to fight.
Goofy and Scooby chases each other but do they use their mouth? What do they do after that? Do they sleep together? Benji and Jessie do...

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

goofydip
Veteran

Apr 20, 2007, 7:22 PM

Post #5 of 8 (2374 views)
Shortcut

yes, they do use their mouth, sometimes i see that scooby wanna bite goofy's leg..i dun really know wat the r doing..u see, if they fight, they sure bark or growl ma...but they dun, they just chases n bounced each other lo..they dun sleep together, coz goofy can't himself familiar with my hometown house, my parents scared he would pee poo every where in the house at night, so we crate goofy lor...as for scooby, he sleeps in the living room lo...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 20, 2007, 9:57 PM

Post #6 of 8 (2368 views)
Shortcut

is hard to distinguish whether they r fighting or playing or many juz bullying...

but for dogs living under d same roof....u got to let them fight among themselve n let them decide who will be the top dog of d household ....

after they had establish their hierachy...then peace will finally come..!Cool

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2007, 1:42 AM

Post #7 of 8 (2366 views)
Shortcut

amanda is right...u let em decide by emself who to lead the pack... no need to "kan cheong" jz monitor can ade

ezekiel 25:17

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2007, 7:08 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2357 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hey Guys,
Need some advice over here... How do we know if two puppies or dogs are playing with each other or if they are fighting with each other? How to know if they do not like each other?
Jessie kept pulling Benji's moustache and leg furnishing and Benji pulak always try to kacau her by nipping her ears. I m worried for Jessie coz she is so tiny and Benji is kinda used to us playing rough with him...Sometimes, Jessie will bark at Benji and Benji will run away. Sometimes, Jessie pulak will chase Benji. , barking all the way...Benji will run and return back jumping over Jessie...Unsure SOmetimes they will just lay on the floor, but mouth-fighting (or kissing..haha) with each other. Sometimes pulak, Jessie will "Grrrrr.." at Benji. So far, Benji has never made any noise, just Jessie...
please, those with many dogs at home, teach me how to know if they are fighting or just playing. Thanks!

When dogs play they wag their tails. They will growl at each other and show their teeth a bit (my choc Lab does this when I play with him) Though he never bites only nibble. Another clue is if they stop for a second before resuming play in a position with their front of the body to the ground and the butts up in the air. That's the "lets play" body language. Usually the body is lower to the ground but this is a good example.

Just keep an eye out for aggressive side and try to warn them by saying..'shhh!!'. If you notice broken skin and hair being ripped out as well as tender spots around the area they are biting...you need to be firm and cautious.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Apr 21, 2007, 7:14 PM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my