Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog and Puppy Training: Socializing, playtime, tricks and things....:
my dog don't know how to walk on stairs...

shalmay

Apr 5, 2007, 10:03 PM

Post #1 of 18 (19958 views)
Shortcut
my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... Can't Post

hi friends..

my dog hor.. don't know how to walk to upstairs... he scared the stairs Crazy he only dare to walk few steps on the stairs... now i get the problem to take him get up the stairs to my room... alamak Crazy

can let me know how to teach him go upstairs?

thank you Blush

(This post was edited by shalmay on Apr 5, 2007, 10:08 PM)

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2007, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 18 (19944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shalmay] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

shalmay

Hmm..how old is your dog? I don't know whether there is another way to teach him how

to climb up and down the stairs. But for my bf's pup,he learn it all by himself.

He is just 2 months+ old. We also get shocked how he learned so fast coz we

tend to keep him indoor all the timeWink How long you have been carrying him that way?

Maybe you can give this a try: You go up the stairs then call him from there while holding

his favourite toy or treats. See if he will get his treats despite of his fear or notTongue

But try not to go too far as it is still new for him,he might not be moving at all. Or you can

also try to hold treats or something that he likes to eat near his nose just enough for him to

smell it then slowly attract him to climb up the stairs while he is looking at the treats wanting

to eat it so badly Hopefully it can help you lor.Good luck for trying

(This post was edited by YanYan on Apr 7, 2007, 6:02 AM)

goofydip
Veteran

Apr 7, 2007, 7:03 PM

Post #3 of 18 (19937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shalmay] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

yes..yan yan is right..try to lure ur doggie with his favourite toy or food..but not as soon as u go right to the top n he at the bottom...u should start step by step...u go two steps up with the toy or food, if he did follow, give him the thing, then come down together with him...start again with one or tro steps higher...again with the thing to lure!!

good luck...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

chrisong
Doggyman

Apr 8, 2007, 3:54 AM

Post #4 of 18 (19935 views)
Shortcut

Just guide him one step at a time to climb to the top (place his leg at every step of the stair). Within a week I am sure your dog will climb up to your bedroom in no time.

Come down the stair also use the same technique. One step at a time.

Hope my explanation is clear.

shalmay

Apr 9, 2007, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 18 (19930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [YanYan] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

hi, Yan Yan, Goofydip and Chrisong

thank you so much for your kindly idea Blush

my dog ar.. 9 months old Unsure so paiseh that still don't know how to climb up the stairs... Tongue

i'll try again with all your ideas... hope he can climb up it soon !!!

everytime teaching him to climb up the stair... he so scared and shaked his body... after finished train him, he feels so tired and fast to get to sleep... sleep pengsan... Laugh

goofydip
Veteran

Apr 9, 2007, 7:58 PM

Post #6 of 18 (19929 views)
Shortcut

for me, i dunno whether goofy don't dare to climb or wat coz he never attempt to climb up the stairs at my hometown...my mum just won't like it if doggies going upstairs to our bedroom..so i prefer him not to go and also i won't teach him to do so..hehehe...my place here no steps for him to climb so good for me lor....Tongue

so how is ur training?

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

Amanda85
Doggyman

Apr 9, 2007, 8:21 PM

Post #7 of 18 (19927 views)
Shortcut

my dog used to b afraid of stairs when she was a puppy too....but d best option is not to carry them...or else, they will be too reliable on d owner n refuse to learn it themselve...

i encourage my dog to climb on her own by holding her on a leash....initially she might refuse n pull backwards...but i juz ignore it, i push her butt slightly n make her follow d leash

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

YanYan
Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2007, 7:13 AM

Post #8 of 18 (19922 views)
Shortcut

shalmay

You are welcome. HeheSmile

9 months old is not too old to learn new tricks. Can teach him slowly,he surely won't let you downWink

Good luck for your training ya

And don't forget to keep us update about him

Amber.Faith
Old Kaki

Apr 27, 2007, 2:15 AM

Post #9 of 18 (19895 views)
Shortcut

Try this. Drag him up & down the stairs 200 times non-stop. Then later he'll prob find it easier doing it by himself then being drag again & again. I got this tip from online. So funny!

Actually it will work coz my Golden Chloe is very scared to cross small drains that are only one feet wide. So I just pulled her across & she will jump over. I did this many times that she's scared that i will do it again so she jumps over it by herself nowadays. Force is the only way. Luring it with upstairs with food doesn't help. What you could also do is when he goes up, block him from going down using two people. So he's got no choice but to go up.

(This post was edited by Amber.Faith on Apr 27, 2007, 2:18 AM)

shalmay

Apr 28, 2007, 9:08 PM

Post #10 of 18 (19882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amber.Faith] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

yayaya... i wil try my best to train him going up n down the stairs Tongue

thanks for all the good ideas n support oh Blush

mum2jude
Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2008, 1:15 AM

Post #11 of 18 (19261 views)
Shortcut

My Rottie will happily run up the stairs... no prob. The prob with her is... she CANNOT COME DOWN!!! She's now 3yo and still refuses to budge when it's time to come down. Poor baby is so scared that even when she looks down the stairs, she pees...

So, no... she doesnt get to go upstairs very often! Tongue
~~~~~~~~~~~
mum2jude
Chewy
Daisy
Ell
Fluffy

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 25, 2008, 7:18 PM

Post #12 of 18 (19181 views)
Shortcut

not sure about the dragging part but when he's desparate enough he'll force himself to learn. my tiny little pappy IS very scared of the stairs actually. but recently while he was playing he suddenly just ran up like 5-6 steps and stopped and had the "OMG" look on his face lol. another big dog was on the stairs started barking at him. as mentioned, he became desparate and started to climb back down. and voila, now he flies up and down the stairs like nobody's business. don't need to rush. when he really wants to go up or down, he'll force himself to do it, usually if food, toys or your company is concerned lol

bakamono
Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2008, 12:59 AM

Post #13 of 18 (19166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zephyros] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

Being an apartment dog, my 29kg Lab was having problem with stairs especially the first time we went to Tmn Desa for our training. She'll put on the break completely and there was no way to lure her near it. What Mr. Raja taught us was to drag her and dash down and up the stairs without looking back or even stopping. After a few tries (and hard work), now she's taking the stairs gracefully with no problem at all.

zephyros
Canine Addict

Feb 26, 2008, 1:08 AM

Post #14 of 18 (19163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

good for you then

as for me. won't really work on my tiny pappy he'll crash and burn HAHAH might break a bone. not much reason for me to rush him as he's a rescued pup. so i just let him take it at his own pace till he build his confidence. sometimes forcing might work sometimes it'll back-fire. if it's nothing too important i'll go by ear :D

hammy
Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008, 8:56 AM

Post #15 of 18 (14782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakamono] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

i once heard my fren said dat dog not suppose to climb stairs.. especially the big typr of dog.. it's very bad from the back bone.. is it true?

Veanne
K9 Maniac

Apr 9, 2008, 7:19 AM

Post #16 of 18 (12119 views)
Shortcut

last time my shiro also don't dare to go up the stairs... then at first i lure him with his favourite treats... he's able to climb few stairs up... but the higher it goes, he refuse to go up... he rather don't want his treat...Pirate

then i tried to teach him by using the leash... at first he refuse... then push him a little... then he walk a little...Crazy

after he climb up... give him treat when he did it... repeat this few times... he'll learn in in few minutes...

normally dogs will learn how to go down the stairs first... because when he's affraid of going up then he'll tends to go down the stair...

hope this method will work on or dog...

~L0v3 SHIRO 4 EveR~

(This post was edited by Veanne on Apr 9, 2008, 7:22 AM)

kstan
Dog Kichi

Apr 11, 2008, 1:59 AM

Post #17 of 18 (11985 views)
Shortcut

hi shalmay.... my dog felt from staircase b4 when he was jus 1 mon plus..... but now... he run up and down like "superdog" haha..... i remember i start to teach him steps by steps... when he around 3 mons... i trained him steps by steps to go down instead up.... around a week.. he mastered it oledi ... i step one step down, and waited him there! then up also same...i one step up and i waited him there... hope your dog will master it very fast!

little-bigboy.blogspot.com
^ _^ it all about me!!about you!!about us!!

psyko03
New User

Sep 11, 2008, 11:55 PM

Post #18 of 18 (10281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] my dog don't know how to walk on stairs... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm a new owner of an adopted 4yrs old MSchnauzer.
This wouldn't work on Jojo though. Once i try to drag her, she'll hold back, even with treats. If i force somemore, then she'll end up rolling down the stairs, its heartbreaking seeing that as my house have stairs everywhere. Any Idea? THANK YOU!!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my