Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
3month old Lab like bite?

ecilassim
Novice

Mar 24, 2007, 8:37 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3047 views)
Shortcut
3month old Lab like bite? Can't Post

My Lab aways want bite something,sometimes look likes crazy for nothing2 bite!she bite anything expect the bone toy we bought.is this normal?Should i chain she at she growing times?or in kennel?or js let she free run around?

YanYan
Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2007, 5:49 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecilassim] 3month old Lab like bite? [In reply to] Can't Post

ecilassim

Mostly puppies will tend to bite more. You have to be strict to them and try to say 'NO'

firmly to you pup. If she obeys you,praise the pup for being good. Repeat this for few

times and surely she will slowly learn that it is wrong to bite any stuff in your house.

she bite anything expect the bone toy we bought.is this normal? Yes,some puppies even dogs

will be like that. As long she gets enough training then there won't be any problem and you

won't have to caged/chain her. You know ler,pup is just like a small kid so need lots of patience and time to teach them.No heavy punishments ya Good luck

(This post was edited by YanYan on Mar 24, 2007, 6:32 PM)

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2007, 10:43 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecilassim] 3month old Lab like bite? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My Lab aways want bite something,sometimes look likes crazy for nothing2 bite!she bite anything expect the bone toy we bought.is this normal?Should i chain she at she growing times?or in kennel?or js let she free run around?

Your puppy is teething too. It is called -chewing inhibition!

You are lucky because experts suggested, if a puppy doesn't develop this kind of habit, chances when she/he will bite even more/harder during adult hood are higher. Therefore, this process during their puppy stage is normal. A Kong or toys are the best way to re-direct their intentions. Try plain peanut butter ..stuff inside the Kong itself, squeeky toys or even doggie bones will do the job. Or simply say "Ouch' -pull away your hands/ feet every time your puppy bites you.

They will stop eventually and with a good supervision and technique you could divert this habit from biting ----> licking for your puppy.

Frown
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 25, 2007, 10:51 AM)

cheekai
Novice

Apr 30, 2007, 7:16 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lady Eloise] 3month old Lab like bite? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,Lady eloise. I used to see you guys recommending a Kong for the dog biting behavior? What is Kong? Where can I get it and how much it cost? My 3months GR has the same problem as well, he likes to bite...each time when he starts biting my curtain, or furniture, or shoe , I will just make a loud noise which frighten him and he dare not bite then. I learn this fm a book and its quite effective, a firm no sometimes works too....however , the problem is I can't be guardian him all the time, he is just like a small baby which you have to check at him whenever he is out from his cage, sometime I pity him to be locked in the cage, but can't be jaga him all the time if to let him free. If Kong is such an effective tool,I hope to try as well.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my