What age is too old to neuter my GR?

blOOms
Dog Kichi

Mar 21, 2007, 7:07 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1452 views)
Shortcut
What age is too old to neuter my GR? Can't Post

Hi anyone,

My Golden Retriever female is 2 years + of age almost 3 years old. Isit still too late to neuter it? She was my first dog so i didn't had much experience beforehand. Now i have another JRT who's 7 months+ of age.

Is my GR too old for a neuter? I'm so afraid it'll be too painful an experience for her. What must i prepare for? Do i sit in during the procedure? I think i'll faint.

I intend to neuter my JRT male too when it's 8 months old. But people have been telling me i'm cruel for taking away his masculanity/'ball's! I read it's for their own health when they're older?

TQ!

bl00ms

cindy_pebbles

Mar 22, 2007, 6:50 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blOOms] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! It's ok to spay your GR at this age. You can visit the vet and see what they say. However, the recovery will be slightly slower than younger puppies tho. Don't worry, it will be ok. I don't think you can have the opportunity to sit in during the operation. Before the operation, you have to fast your dog, at least 12 hours before the op. Can't even drink water coz if not, she will puke a lot after the op. Can't bathe 2 weeks after the op, so it's better if you bathe her a day before the op lo.
It's good that you are considering neutering and spaying your dogs. Shows that you are a responsible owner. Frown Yeah, I have lotsa ppl commenting I m being cruel, taking the dignity away of my 6mths old Benji. Haha... but you must be firm lo. Ask why do you want to do it in the first place? We want to prevent unnecessary pregnancies, reduce spraying and humping problems, reduce the risk of cancer and improving the health of our pets. Also, ppl will stop pestering you to "lend" your JRT to them to make purebred puppies. Hehe.

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

blOOms
Dog Kichi

Mar 22, 2007, 10:02 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi cindy_pebbles,

Thank you for that sound advice there. Will try set an appointment to spay her when she goes for her heartworm injection. Will ask the vet when to spay my JRT too! Nah...i won't want to see any humping problems or risk of cancer to my darling pets. I read that it's for their good health too.

Thank you!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Mar 23, 2007, 6:39 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

You're serious ppl got the blardy cheek to ask someone to borrow them their pedigree so that they can breed and make some money out of it? Aiya........like that also can ah? Pirate

I mean how do one open their mouth to ask another person "Eh, can I borrow ur dog for a few days ah?" Or "Eh can borrow me ur dog to mate with my dog and when got puppies, i'll give ya X% commission" I mean that just sounds sooo SICK....unless you have the intention of getting $$$ and don bother about the poor fella lah. I'll slap the living day light out of those who dare to ask me to borrow my dog mannnn.....i look for you to pet-sit for me is one thing but you come looking for me wanting to borrow my dog???? WTH, think my dog is like a Gucci bag ah, can go on loan here and there.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

goofydip
Veteran

Mar 23, 2007, 10:17 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steffy1811] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah..we r serious..not only those pure breed..even they see ur dog nice, they'll want it..my goofy, not pure (chihuahua mix pinscer)..has been asked few times liao.."ur dog neutered liao ar? i got a female pinscher, can they mate?"...."wow, ur dog cute ar..looks like chihuahua hor..i have a female chihuahua, wan them to mate?"..."wow...goofy handsome hor, can we mate them with my female doggie?"...aiyoh...this is all those i got...

Tongue My Friendster Tongue

Frown Welcome to Goofy's Blog Frown

"don't be angry at me for long & don't lock me up as punishment. you have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have U"---from a doggie's voice

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Mar 24, 2007, 1:01 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blOOms] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,

yup..both ur GR and JRT can be neutered now..i spayed my girls when they are 6 mths old....n i hv a fren who spayed her dog when she is 8 yrs old...all went smoothlyWink

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

jessicaohh
ALPHA

Mar 24, 2007, 1:04 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1417 views)
Shortcut

hahaha..yes...there are some STUPIAK ppl out there that will actually dare to ask for such a thing...to me...it is as if like asking 'eh, ur daughter beautiful lo, can i hv sxx with her ah? so that we can hv pretty babies'.....i'l sure give the person one good slap in the faceMad

FrownView my blog in Sasha's Blog and don't forget to sign my guestbook!Frown

FrownMy Dogster Frown

They are not 'Just a Dog'
They are my FAMILY!!!

Sasha, Sze Ern N Sheena
Frown

(This post was edited by jessicaohh on Mar 24, 2007, 1:07 AM)

blOOms
Dog Kichi

Mar 26, 2007, 5:46 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

Thanx for the confirmation that i could now spay both my dogs!! wuu huu! i'll try arrange them soon. cheers!

steffy1811
K9 Kaki

Mar 26, 2007, 10:10 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jessicaohh] What age is too old to neuter my GR? [In reply to] Can't Post

Urgh...some ppl are just soo darn coockoo..... See the "S" with the double middle stroke, what is right and what is wrong also all blur blur already; air muka got value or not also doesnt matter liao.

Aiyerr....i'll so give them a ' Are you in the head look?" if they were to ever ask me.

*Rascal's Philosophy "Will give the world up for a good nap"
Gizmo's Philosophy "Mine Mine Mine. All is MINE. Sharing is caring..? Whats that?"

cindy_pebbles

Mar 28, 2007, 9:37 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1379 views)
Shortcut

I just met one yesterday!! She was actually a backyard breeder and I got my Benji from her (didn't know she was a backyard breeder back then...kinda ignorant then) and I went back to collect his MKA cert. She has another MS 4mths female whom she EXCHANGED with her boxer with the purpose to breed more MS however, i think the colour of the MS is not so nice or maybe she has TOO many dogs to handle that she decided to sell her 4mth MS to me at RM950. That poor thing was soooo fat and was locked up in the cage 24 hours a day and was sooooo timid that when she tried to take the MS out from the cage, the MS was holding on to the cage, didnt want to come out at all! Gosh! Then, suddenly i think she remembered I had a male MS who is already 6mths and then, kept asking me if my MS is good-looking and if he is big enuf and if his coat is nice and ask about the colour etc. I think maybe she thinks she could mate Benji with that poor thing MS pup but I just told her that my Benji was neutered 1 week ago and so, no way is he gonna be "on loan" or do any "donation". Sheez...
I knew someone who also want my Benji to be her MS's bf. When I told her that I m neutering him at early age, she tried to dissuade me from doing this and said that he should have a litter first. Unsure
Lotsa ppl like that out there. They just wanna get back their INVESTMENT, you see... really pity that 4mths MS...sigh...

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my