Home: Dog and Puppy Training: House Breaking:
Help! My MS forgets where to poo/pee!

cindy_pebbles

Mar 13, 2007, 7:58 PM

Post #1 of 5 (7386 views)
Shortcut
Help! My MS forgets where to poo/pee! Can't Post

Hi All!

My 6mths old MS, Benji was housebroken when he was 3mths old. I taught him to poo and pee in the toilet, either the one downstairs or the one in the master bedroom upstairs. And for 2 months plus, he did his business all by himself, and almost 98% in the right place. The 2%, he missed the spot and did it outside the toilet. I did scold him on the spot everytime he did it wrongly and put him in the toilet immediately. But recently, just a week ago, he started to poo and pee everywhere he likes. Sometimes he did it in the toilet (like umm...20% of the time) and the rest of the time, he did it in the living room, dining room and worst of all, my bedroom floor (which is parquet!) So far, he has not done it in the kitchen tho'. The thing is, everytime he poo/pee in the wrong place, I scolded him on the spot and he knew he was wrong and he quickly ran away and hide...(underneath the sofa, bed, dining table etc.) and will wait there until the coast is clear (when I cool down and cleaned the area). He will then, try to make up by touching me with his nose, sitting on the floor, looking at me pitifully. Therefore, I am kinda confused, did he really forget where to do his business or does he purposely poo/pee in the wrong place? Or does he has urinary tract infection where he can't control his pee? I tried to make him remember by locking us in the toilet until he pee/poo, but he just simply lay down on the floor, enjoying himself. Unsure
What's up with him?!

Lady Eloise
Dog Kichi

Mar 14, 2007, 11:49 AM

Post #2 of 5 (7378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Help! My MS forgets where to poo/pee! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing wrong with Benji other than he relapses. He is just a dog! Sadly, you are the main problem here. However, create timetable or discipline.

No need to scold him every time he misses his target right. You should loosen up a bit. At this point, you should stop scolding for his imperfections whatsoever. He 'thinks' he is not good enough for you. Therefore, Benji feels that he should forget it by being rebellious.

Start all over again. Take him for a potty straight away every time he finishes his meal. Don't let him play/free not until he does his business 1st. Ask him to go to the desired spot and say 'Go Potty'. Bring a biscuit/ treats 2-3. Don't panic be patient! If he doesn't want, please wait for few 5-10 mins and start this regime all over again till he does his potty. Make sure you rewards him with treats or praise him. Follow through this process in the future even if this will take you up to 4-6 days. Eventually he will learn the right spot! When he reaches that 'target', reward him with a bigger treat. The nearer spot is, more treat will be rewarded to Benji.

Good luck and take it easy!
Dog behaviorist.

(This post was edited by Lady Eloise on Mar 14, 2007, 12:01 PM)

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 15, 2007, 2:35 AM

Post #3 of 5 (7364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cindy_pebbles] Help! My MS forgets where to poo/pee! [In reply to] Can't Post

aiyo...why like that...nvm one jz go back to basics...start fresh...like last time...treat benji as a new pup in hse.

cheers

ezekiel 25:17

cindy_pebbles

Mar 19, 2007, 6:26 PM

Post #4 of 5 (7335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vinoviruz] Help! My MS forgets where to poo/pee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Yeah, what to do...me starting all over with the house-breaking... but sometimes when I m not watching, he will do it on the floor..but not all the time tho. Today, he went to the toilet by himself to poo. Weird. I don't mind teaching him all over again but just curious why he did that. :) This is not spaying right as he did not lift up his leg to pee wor...hehehe...
PS: Neutering him this friday! Jewels big enuf! Haha...

We have a new member in our family! Her name is Jessie, a toy poodle!

Visit Benji's blog to find out more!

http://www.benjiboyboy.blogspot.com

vinoviruz
ALPHA

Mar 20, 2007, 3:16 AM

Post #5 of 5 (7330 views)
Shortcut

haha finally he's big enuff to show his nuts & there u go removin em Cool

good luck with the process

ezekiel 25:17

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my